From Enlisted To Army Flight School (WOFT)

Hello. I just created an account on this site to get as much information as possible. I already have a basic understanding on the basics of getting into Army Flight School through WOCS. However my situation will be quite different. Okay so here goes. I want to be an Aviator or a Pilot for the US Army, and It doesn't matter what I want to fly, because being able to fly anything for the US Army is in itself the most prestigious and most honorable thing for me. But if someone might ask on what I want to fly, the 64's are really what I'm dreaming off. Okay so what I'm planning on doing is Enlist first in the US Army with any 15 Series MOS's excluding air traffic controllers and the unmanned section of the 15 series MOS's. I'm planning on getting either the Romeos, the Tangos, or the Uniforms. For the Tangos and Uniforms, they are amazing because you get to be a crewchief along the way if I do an amazing job throughout, and as a crewchief you get to fly with the Warrants also advantage for the LOR's. Romeos I also want them because they are the 64's even though you dont get to fly with pilots. For me The only way for me to be a Pilot is through this pathway. Why? Because I'm not a US Citizen. I'm a legal permanent resident, as a legal permanent resident of the United States we are eligible to enlist in the Army,  we will just not be allowed to get the jobs in the army that require security clearance, and I've checked with my recruiter all 15 series MOS's are okay for Legal permanent residents. I'm from the Philippines. And with God's help I'm planning on getting my citizenship through the military. Once I get the citizenship my only goal is to expand my military career by going warrant. Okay so I have a bachelor's degree, I graduated college, but it's in the Philippines. I'm planning on getting my Transcripts, diplomas for both my college and high school and bring them once I get back stateside. And I don't know if those will be accredited in the education system of the US. I'm not sure. But regardless I will still give it a shot once I get to stateside, because I want to try it than regretting not to for the rest of your life. Okay as the 15 series MOS's that I've listed that I'm interested in getting, I'm fully aware that the contracts for those MOS's is 6 years. I'm okay with that, as long as I'm near a bird/chopper which I freaking love everything about. Okay so let's say I get my citizenship within that 6 year mark, though I'm hoping I could get it by the 5th year of my contract, because if I get it at the 6th year I will already be 33 years old. And from what I know you have to be age 32 at the time the board interviews you. I'm not sure. I'm 26 years old right now as I'm writing this topic, and will turn 27 this November 2020. I'm 5 feet 2 inches in height... I know pretty small for a guy, but yeah, Filipinos dont have the height genes like the Americans and the Europeans. I'm not sure if my height will affect my eligibility for WOFT or when going warrant. Also hopefully while being in my 6 year contract as a 15 series MOS I get to deploy either in combat or non combat deployment as I know that can add up to my resume when applying for WOFT in the future. So If for example......... this is IF. If miraculously everything lands on where they need to land and I get to make this work, I get to apply on 5th year mark of the contract with complete everything, do you guys think It's a good Idea? Do you guys think I even get a chance to be NOTICED by the board?  I can't do street to seat because I'm not a citizen. 

Is there not a way to get citizenship earlier than 5 years? Street to seat would be ideal, but obviously is more competitive. The contract length wouldn't matter, since you could put a flight packet in earlier (assuming your citizenship was complete earlier). 

Also, the aviation background would be kinda useful, but isn't that big of a deal. Depending on the MOS availability, I'd consider alternate career fields you would pursue outside the military if it doesn't work out.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, KennyO said:

Is there not a way to get citizenship earlier than 5 years? Street to seat would be ideal, but obviously is more competitive. The contract length wouldn't matter, since you could put a flight packet in earlier (assuming your citizenship was complete earlier). 

Also, the aviation background would be kinda useful, but isn't that big of a deal. Depending on the MOS availability, I'd consider alternate career fields you would pursue outside the military if it doesn't work out.

No there is no other way :D Thanks for your insight on this one appreciate it.

21 minutes ago, KennyO said:

On 5/27/2020 at 8:30 PM, Thedude said:

Sounds like a plan as long as you are ok with doing a six year enlisted stint and being satisfied with just the experience and citizenship if you aren't selected. 

Yup. Got it. Thanks for your insight really appreciate it man. Take Care