Is applying to WOFT worth it?

It depends on you, your qualification and your goals. Putting together a woft package is a lot of work. I’m a fan of the make them tell you no mindset but you have to take a hard look at yourself as far as your application strength, and what career goals you have. If you know what you’re signing up for with army aviation and you want it, then definitely. The 8-10 months it takes to build a package is absolutely worth a rewarding career. Few years down the road you’ll hardly remember how long it took to do it.

of course it’s hard to get selected. Wouldn’t be worth it if it wasn’t. If you pass your flight phys, have a competitive sift, gpa, and apft (and your overall application is well put together) then you have no reason to not go for it.

• Thanks 1

That’s a personal decision.  It was very worth it for me, and you can read my opinions on the commitment in other threads.  That aside, nobody else is going to give you a guaranteed flight slot without a college degree.  If you’re like me, this is your only shot at military flying without completing college.

If you do have a degree, I would encourage you to research other branches and weigh your options.  Do your research!

33 minutes ago, SBuzzkill said:

That’s a personal decision.  It was very worth it for me, and you can read my opinions on the commitment in other threads.  That aside, nobody else is going to give you a guaranteed flight slot without a college degree.  If you’re like me, this is your only shot at military flying without completing college.

If you do have a degree, I would encourage you to research other branches and weigh your options.  Do your research!

ok. Does having a degree and applying give you a decent chance at selection? Do most Army aviators not have a college degree?

Most warrant officers do not have degrees in my experience. Having a degree does not seem to increase your chances for selection. If you want to fly for the Army and you're serious about it then the time and effort for the packet shouldn't matter. Putting together your packet is the easiest thing you'll do for your entire career. If you have doubts about that then the military might not be the place for you. 

• Thanks 1

There is no formula for success at a board and each one is different depending on the applicant group.  If you qualify then consider yourself competitive. Sometimes they can’t even fill a board and everyone that qualifies gets in.  Other times they have to be selective and everyone on the board has flight time and degrees.  There’s no way to know.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Whether it's worth it, only you can answer that question.

Is it achievable? Absolutely but it's up to you because you have to sell yourself to the board. Anybody can be selected imo but you have to know how to highlight whatever you have to offer to the Army. Don't tell them how much you want to do this. Write about how your experience can benefit the Army. 

Not gonna lie it's a lot of work but if you really want to do this you shouldn't mind. 

• Thanks 1

Pjakaesc270

One word of advice with the new 10 year ADSO which will take you to 11+ years if serving on ACTIVE duty.

Before the recent change in ADSO, in the past more than a few Warrant Officer aviators elected to transfer to another military service in finishing their professional flying career on ACTIVE duty once meeting the requirements.

A few flew for the Thunderbirds and at least one risen to the rank of a General Officer. I wouldn't be surprised if there were even an astronaut or two. Warrant Officer Power unstoppable when unleashed.

With the increase in the ADSO, this option may not be available to you. The gaining service would want more than 8-9 years of ACTIVE duty service before you're eligible for retirement. Shouldn't be an issue if starting out in the Army Reserves or Army National Guard WOFT program. Of course, there can be a policy change in the future in your favor regarding Active duty.

Why am I mentioning this? This may be the only service you can retire on ACTIVE duty. Not an issue, if unconcerned. Army aviation in the pilot seat is your only option being a HS grad as you well know. By having a college degree, you have a better selection in being a military pilot. Choose wisely. You get what you pay for in life. Less college, less options.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Thedude said:

I know of zero warrant officers who transferred out to other services. I know two commissioned officers who did and they were both turds that no one was sad to see leave the Army. 

I know of more than ten that have transferred to the Air Force alone. It’s something to consider. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, zaurus said:

It’s a mixture of AD and guard guys. When transferring to the Air guard they seem to be a lot more lenient for waivers for high AFS or age. But applying for AD into another federal service changes constantly, you may get lucky and after twelve years in the Army and get a waiver for applying to another service. Is it something to put you below someone else on the totem pole? Yes... should it stop you? No... make them tell you no in everything. 

• Like 1