Shipping & Family Q’s

Greetings! 

I can’t thank this forum enough for guiding me through this very long, treacherous process. Becoming a member of this community was one of the best decisions I’ve made. Thank you!

With that said, I’ve got a few more questions with hopes to bring my wife and I at ease. I’m a street to seat candidate and ship out on the 10th of August. 

Dates:

BT 20200817, Jackson. 9wks, 5ish days

AIT 20201028, Rucker 

Anyone here sharing those dates with me? 

As for the questions;

1. When is the soonest my wife and daughter could move to Rucker? I’ve read different things and some of the answers are 3+ years old now. We’ll store our belongings here in the Houston area and she’ll travel back to her home state, Washington, to be with her family while I’m at Basic. We’ve read some stories where exceptions were made prior to WOCS but that may have been for candidates having several weeks waiting time for WOCS? For what it’s worth I do believe we are on a waiting list for Bowden Terrace. 
  2. I was informed a couple days ago by a current Rucker resident/friend that I needed to have a couple essays completed before arriving to WOCS in addition to familiarizing myself with the WO creed. That’s the first I heard of any essays. Perhaps I missed something in my congratulatory email attachments. What else would you advise and are there any other pre-requisites?
  3. As a fairly active 30 year old but cautious candidate, how available is ibuprofen/NSAIDS for any aches and pains in the case of any discomfort through training? 

I may think of something else later on but that’ll do for now. I hope the answers provided go on to help more than my family and I.

Thank you!

M. Trexler

• Like 2

Hard to answer your first question with Covid going on.

WOCS is changing constantly, and the essays/distance learning stuff has probably changed several times in the last few years also. Connect to the milsuite page or whatever it is now, see if theres a FB group with your class already, and check your emails. The requirements will be sent to you, and worst case you'll figure it out last minute when you get to HHC (before you start WOCS). You might get another email from your senior TAC soon. Some street to seat people I went with didn't know a lot due to not having internet/email  access at basic. Learn the creed early, though.

You can definately have ibuprofen and similar meds, but you'll have to make a ridiculous medical ID card or something, which you will figure out at HHC prior to starting actual WOCS. It's not a big deal, just silly (which is how I'd explain WOCS in general). I think you're expected to bring your own supply, but you'll be able to go to shopette/PX on weekends for resupply.

• Thanks 1

I don't remember ever learning or hearing about a warrant officer Creed in WOCS or any time since. 

Bottom line is that WOCS is a joke. If you can show up and follow their rules, play their dumb games and pass a PT test you're good and have absolutely nothing to worry about. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, KennyO said:

You can definately have ibuprofen and similar meds, but you'll have to make a ridiculous medical ID card or something, which you will figure out at HHC prior to starting actual WOCS.

Thank you both for your responses. 

In regards to the NSAID, does the same also apply to BT? 

12 hours ago, Thedude said:

I don't remember ever learning or hearing about a warrant officer Creed in WOCS or any time since. 

Bottom line is that WOCS is a joke. If you can show up and follow their rules, play their dumb games and pass a PT test you're good and have absolutely nothing to worry about. 

I second that. I don't remember any sort of creed, apart from the stupid sh*t you have to sing at graduation. 

I just went through bct a year ago as a 32 year old and it wasn't that bad. You can go to sick call in basic training if you feel you really need something for pain, but we weren't allowed to just have a bottle in our locker. The only thing that hurt me was the 12 mile ruck, but you get a few days of rest afterward and sleep great!

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, MTrexler90 said:

Thank you both for your responses. 

In regards to the NSAID, does the same also apply to BT? 

Been 11 years since basic for me, but I'm assuming like @XIIGage said you can go to sick call for temporary meds. I've always avoided any extra attention (i.e. being that guy who went to sick call) growing up in the Army, but that mentality is not as prevalent as it used to be.

• Thanks 1

On 7/16/2020 at 1:53 PM, flanker said:

I second that. I don't remember any sort of creed, apart from the stupid sh*t you have to sing at graduation. 

There's a warrant officer definition that acts like a creed. No I don't remember any of it. No more singing at the schoolhouse. Unless you volunteer for the national anthem. Don't suck on the national anthem.

9 hours ago, Shadowlurker said:

There's a warrant officer definition that acts like a creed.

That’s got to be it! My friend sounded as though it haunted him and some of the others. Perhaps it was just that particular class. I was able to pull it up on google, though, and I’ll do what I can to memorize it.

There’s a lot of creeds, songs, and info you’re going to have to memorize in basic first.  Worry about WOCS stuff when you’re on the bus there.  It’s good to be prepared but you’re overthinking it.  Relax and enjoy your last month as a civilian and time with your family.

Edited by SBuzzkill
  • Thanks 1