Religious at sere

I'm currently an e6 artilleryman in the army looking to go into flight. My only issue is I cannot kill an animal due to religious reasons. People no problem, but an innocent animal I'm not allowed to do it. Is there any way around this at sere? If not I'm gonna take a ranger slot with the guard as an 11 series reclass and go-to a civilian flight school. Thank you.

Whew.. this is a tough one. I'm pretty certain even rangers attend sere school and from what I have heard is.. Ruckers sere school (aviation) is the one someone in your position is going to want to attend vs other sere schools. I would be shocked if Rangers didn't have to attend the school.

Its always easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.

I'm sure you could talk to your buddies and explain to them about the killing of an animal situation while attending school..however that would not be a for sure.

If one of the instructors got wind that you refuse to kill an animal.. you may get "extra training"...

Note: I have not personally went through the school.

That's a strange religious choice.

We killed in pairs, one had to kill and the other had to do all the work afterwards. You may not be given the choice in which you get and a refusal to train will get you dropped from the course and subsequently from flight school. I'd call the school directly before you apply and ask how they would handle it.

As a ranger you’ll have to kill animals anyway for Live tissue training that’s not even SERE to make sure your combat resources are always surgical. In special warfare when I was in the Navy we had SERE and then every couple years combat medic training with live tissue. Everyone has to do it not just the medics. 

I definitely respect your religious views, however you may want to consider that SERE is training for a life or death scenario.  You have an obligation/duty to survive and return with honor.  Not killing/eating an animal could be the difference between you returning with honor and dying.  You may want to talk to a religious leader to find out if there is an exception for this situation. 

Additionally, contact the school and ask for a copy of the waiver you need to sign.  I'm not gonna go into details on what is in the waiver, but I can tell you that most religious observances will likely not be protected.  This is because in a real-world scenario you aren't going to be able to observe a fasting, attend a service, etc.  

If you're merely uncomfortable with the prospect of killing an animal, you'll definitely have an opportunity for training. Since it's a religious issue I think the instructors would accommodate you, as long as you were still up to participate in the rest of that particular training event. If you can demonstrate that you can contribute to your team in that situation I'd wager you'd get a pass. Having grown up on a farm, though, I can tell you no chicken is innocent. 

Just for clarity, a Ranger slot does not mean an actual Ranger. Each unit has a manning roster that shows Additional Skill Idenifiers (ASI). Most 11 series MOS E-5 and above are slotted for Ranger. Just as Engineers are slotted for Sapper a School. Thus leading to no SERE school for a Ranger slot unless desired by Command or Soldier. You can have a Ranger tab and not be a Ranger, you’ll just be Ranger qualified. Being in the actual regiment is considered being a Ranger. 

On other note, I can almost guarantee you aren’t the first one to bring this up. I recommend calling the school house directly to be certain. In most cases the school will work with you, but I believe in SERE it would be a requirement to graduate. Killing a rabbit is not just a glorified part of SERE it is paramount to survival is some cases. I wish you the best on this and I hope you update us all. 

SERE is part of this pipeline for a reason. I encourage you to balance the thought of going to WOFT vs civilian flight. Which is more important to you and why? If flying is your goal, then just go civilian flight and don’t worry about SERE. If you want to be a WO Aviator then SERE, in its entirety, is a must for obvious reason. 

I would have no problem killing one in a life or death scenario however I'm not gonna run across too many rabbits in Iraq. And I know how to make something dead I don't need to be taught that, it's a simple concept and a waste of a life. Also rangers do not go to sere I know this for fact. We got a ranger instructor in my unit currently. And as far as my goals I have 2, fly helicopters and kill bad guys. So I'm either gonna do them together or seperate lol. Thanks for the responses though guys, be safe out there!

It doesn't matter if they arent wasted I am not allowed to kill an animal unless I actually need to eat it. Might sound dumb to you guys but I don't care I got a set of instructions I choose to live my life by. For instance I can't do a demonstration/training to kill one but if I'm in the field day 5 of no food and catch one I am able to kill and eat it. But trust me there is still a fairly good amount of killing going on over there, at least for artillery guys anyway

When you kill it you will be at a point of needing to eat it. Do your due diligence and call/email the school to verify this won't be a problem. If you go and are kicked out you are wasting a spot that an actual future aviator could have filled. You'll either be sent back to your previous MOS to finish the 6-10 year ADSO you incurred for attempting flight school or separated from the Army. 

11 hours ago, Thedude said:

When you kill it you will be at a point of needing to eat it. Do your due diligence and call/email the school to verify this won't be a problem. If you go and are kicked out you are wasting a spot that an actual future aviator could have filled. You'll either be sent back to your previous MOS to fin the 6-10 year ADSO you incurred for attempting flight school or separated from the Army. 

I'm trying to track down thier contact info now. Either my computer and my phone are down or thier website is currently down

This is such a stupid conversation.  You’re not going to have an issue, I f*cking promise.  They’re not going to kick you out for not killing a rabbit.  Get your application in already.

Edited by SBuzzkill

46 minutes ago, SBuzzkill said:

This is such a stupid conversation.  You’re not going to have an issue, I f*cking promise.  They’re not going to kick you out for not killing a rabbit.  Get your application in already.

That's what I like to hear haha

• Like 1

17 hours ago, SBuzzkill said:

The Army needs pilots. 

*NEEDS*

I saw a girl go through WOCS 4 times.

Its just like the Chief who signed on to my packet said. I told him I was FQ-S and he simply screamed into the phone,

“THEY’VE LOWERED THE STANDARDS!” 

You will be fine getting through SERE without offing an exceptionally cute bunny. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 7/24/2020 at 8:04 PM, mike0331 said:

Are you a vegetarian? If not, this is the most hilarious thing I’ve ever read.

All I will say is I wouldn’t be too concerned. 

Jains, Hindus, Buddhists, Jews, Christians, etc.

All have vegetarian sects.  Some do not prohibit meat but do prohibit killing it purely for consumption.  Others require a ritual.  

Edited by SBuzzkill
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, SBuzzkill said:

Jains, Hindus, Buddhists, Jews, Christians, etc.

All have vegetarian sects.  Some do not prohibit meat but do prohibit killing it purely for consumption.  Others require a ritual.  

Oh, I’m tracking (as a Jew myself) that all sorts of religions have all sorts of various laws and rules as applied to food. 

I would just hope that one that does not permit you to kill an animal for food also would require you to be a vegetarian.