Best Chances at Medevac

Hey Everyone, 

I recently got selected during the July WOFT board, and I'm while I'm not leaving until the end of the year, I really want to line myself up to get into MEDEVAC. I realize that selecting blackhawks is a must, but I have no idea beyond emailing battalion/brigade leaders and asking at my receiving unit. What bases have more MEDEVAC units? I'm looking at Fort Drum right now, I've heard 10th Mountain deploys to Afghanistan a decent amount and would like to get on a deployment if that's still going on in 2+ years, but I have no idea how many medical birds they have or what my chances would be with that. Any advice would really be appreciated. 

What I do know: If you want to deploy, you're in luck! HRC selects your assignment based on class standing and your top 3 choices, with the priority going to deploying units. A lot of the time they will give you a location that is deploying if your top 3 is not. Don't expect MEDEVAC out of flight school. Also, a lot of people change their mind on what they want several times throughout school, so keep your mind open. Especially considering you really never know what selection will bring you. 60s are obviously the largest population, so you have a good chance of getting it if you want it and aren't on the bottom of the OML.

Others might have a better idea, but I've always HEARD it is unlikely to get sent to a MEDEVAC unit first. I don't think any specific locations have a larger MEDEVAC community either. 

Deployments to Afghanistan are going to be very thin if things go as planned. There are not many aircraft left in country and the numbers are continuing to go down as we withdraw. With luck most of the guys currently in flight school and waiting to go will not deploy to the shitholes the rest of us have spent years in. 

14 hours ago, KennyO said:

What I do know: If you want to deploy, you're in luck! HRC selects your assignment based on class standing and your top 3 choices, with the priority going to deploying units. A lot of the time they will give you a location that is deploying if your top 3 is not. Don't expect MEDEVAC out of flight school. Also, a lot of people change their mind on what they want several times throughout school, so keep your mind open. Especially considering you really never know what selection will bring you. 60s are obviously the largest population, so you have a good chance of getting it if you want it and aren't on the bottom of the OML.

Others might have a better idea, but I've always HEARD it is unlikely to get sent to a MEDEVAC unit first. I don't think any specific locations have a larger MEDEVAC community either. 

This is interesting, and potentially good news. I was reading other places that emailing or inquiring about it if you're interested is a good idea too, but its still kind of up to chance. 

14 hours ago, Thedude said:

Deployments to Afghanistan are going to be very thin if things go as planned. There are not many aircraft left in country and the numbers are continuing to go down as we withdraw. With luck most of the guys currently in flight school and waiting to go will not deploy to the shitholes the rest of us have spent years in. 

Yeah I mean I'm not like eager to go to war or something, but I do want a practical opportunity to do my job that I'll have trained for for years by then. And especially if I can get MEDEVAC, I've always wanted to save lives, and while I'm sure there will be other opportunities for that, I feel like a combat deployment would be a good place for that. 

2 hours ago, Fabulous Jewfro said:

This is interesting, and potentially good news. I was reading other places that emailing or inquiring about it if you're interested is a good idea too, but its still kind of up to chance. 

I know some people have hook-ups to get assignments prior to their actual selection, or adjusted assignments afterwards, but I'm not sure how that's worked out besides having a high ranking family member pull some strings (that's the only example I actually know of). 

Deployment schedules can always change, and there's talk of it slowing down overall also. That being said, "rotational units" are also prioritized, meaning you may have the wonderful opportunity of going to some dookie location in Europe instead of a combat deployment. 

Your first step is making sure you get Blackhawks. This shouldn’t be too hard to do as they usually have the most slots available, unless you get unlucky and have a really weird selection. 

Your second step will be once you find out your duty station, send the Chief Warrant Officer of the Brigade (CWOB) an introduction letter giving a brief background of you and where you would like to be placed. From what I have seen with friends doing this, 98% of the time they get placed where they want. 

9 hours ago, Fabulous Jewfro said:

Ok, that's awesome. I'll do my best to line myself for that then, appreciate the help, it means a lot to me, I've wanted to do this for a long time. 

Enjoy, don't close your mind to other aircraft too soon. I went in wanting 60s the most and left wanting them the least.