Thanks for the help!

Bonjing

If you were arrested for speeding then it was a reckless driving charge at a minimum. And arrested means, car impounded, booked into jail etc...I've never heard of anyone just getting taken to the jail to be fingerprinted and then released...

But, unless you get charged a felony it won't make a bit of difference, a misdemeanor means nothing to anyone. 

What they said.  You may be asked to explain it later in your career so be ready to articulate why you did what you did.  If you get a good attorney and have no criminal history, they can probably make it go away.  Learn from it and move on.  I would continue training as planned and let this be something that makes you better in the end....

As the OP said, with a decent lawyer, it probably can be reduced but "go away"? Highly doubtful. I did have a friend that got a careless driving in Louisiana many years ago. He was just starting his career with an offshore job and didn't want something like that on his record. He went to a lawyer in one of the southern parishes and was told it would cost $2,000. He asked what the $2,000 would do for him. Lawyer told him it would magically disappear. Sure enough, it did.

The elephant is in the room…..

Sure, probably not a problem. However, it appears you have an issue following the rules and not learning from your mistakes. That is; as a juvenile, 3 speeding tickets in a year resulting in a suspension and now this ticket leading to an arrest…. The aviation business won’t tolerate this kind of behavior…. Therefore, I wouldn’t worry so much about the tickets. Worry about your ability to change your behavior…..

I wouldn’t worry about it too much. Do what you can to get it expunged. An arrest record may be a DQ for some job opportunities, but certainly not all. 

You’d be surprised how many helicopter pilots have had a DUI or other legal issues. 

Best advice I have is to always be honest if it comes up in an interview, and own up to your mistakes. And check the applicable box on 18v during your FAA medical app when it’s up for renewal. Don’t lie to the FAA on this; they will find it during your driver record check and deny your medical if you do not disclose loss of driving privileges. 

Edited by Hand_Grenade_Pilot

26 minutes ago, Bonjing said:

DQ for which job opportunities? 

I’ve heard the airline industry frowns a lot more on any arrest records... that’s why I wanted clarification on the helicopter industry. 

I wouldn’t plan on getting a job with law enforcement.

Other than that, I’m not aware of any civilian companies that as a matter of policy automatically DQ for an arrest / drivers license suspension. But it is possible that someone, somewhere will frown upon it and deem it as a no-go for hiring.

And you are correct about the major airlines being much more rigid than the helicopter industry. Even something like a recent minor speeding ticket can be a problem. Regional airlines, not so much.

5 hours ago, RisePilot said:

No one will ever really care about speeding tickets or parking tickets.  In the US, highway patrolman and state troopers are little more than glorified "meter maids" and the fines merely serve as an income stream.

Yeah, well one of those "meter maids" took him to jail and he's looking at some consequences but thanks for your input. 

HeloNorth, I don't work in aviation; I work in international and cross-border finance and all my career have had full background checks and due diligence performed on me.

I also lived in the US for near 20 years when I was younger and had my drivers licence revoked several times for speeding (not taking pride in that; just noting I'm familiar with the situation).  I too have been arrested and taken into custody (I was driving very fast).

Noting the above, no one has ever even mentioned my speeding tickets/arrest.

Been there  Rise 😎  but mine looked at his No2 & said "I new this would happen one Day" as he handed My UK licence back & explained you did not stop in the centre reservation on dual carriageway, think he could see a lot of paperwork

PS 

I am always polite to policemen they can seriously impact your day

This was around the time of the BP oil spill in the Gulf and I suppose this guy had something against Brits and just "lost it".

Like you, I've also had several other occasions where they look at the license front & back and you can see in their eyes they're thinking "this is not worth the trouble". 

I'm always calm/polite as I know they can't take my licence, they can't make my insurance go up, so give me a ticket if you wish and I'll be on my way.  My wife always said they're going to put you in jail one day - she was right.

On 9/15/2020 at 4:16 AM, RisePilot said:

To me, cost several hundred dollars and took an hour or so out my day.

To him, resulted in a full internal affairs investigation from the states capital and a personal censure.  I can only assume he was less of a dick the next time he was handed a European driver’s licence on a traffic stop.

Funny how the story evolved from you having had your license revoked several times for speeding and was "going very fast" to "the cop got in big trouble for arresting me for breaking the law". What did the cop do wrong? You left out the best part!

Edited by helonorth