New service obligation for Warrant Office Flight Program

I’m interested in joining the army WOFT program however I went in believing there was a 6 year active service contract however the recent changes of a 10 year contract obligation has me conflicted. My ultimate goal is a career as a commercial pilot. Should I consider a different route from the WOFT program??  

Flim

i just recently started the process yesterday. The recruiters didn’t want to process me at first and Now after they agreed they are rushing everything saying they want everything done by the end of next month. The experience I’ve had with them and the timeframe they want it done has me concerned. Plus the additional decade contract. I don’t want to waste any more of their time or mine. 

My recruiter had a timeline like that too, and he kept to it and got me selected.  Be thankful your recruiters are motivated to get it done.  The choice is yours, you either want it or you don’t.  

If you have some specific questions we can answer those, but we don’t know anything about you so we can’t answer “what should I do?”

Edited by SBuzzkill

The 64K question to ask is this. Do you have a 4 year degree?. If so, try the other services for a pilot slot. The Army should be your last option before applying. Rotary wing experience is not looked upon too favorably in the commercial airline industry. Even though rotary wing is more difficult in mastering initially. 

If your recruiter is motivated to do everything quickly and you're able too, by all means do it. It took me 9 months until I was board ready. However, I do not recommend rushing to take the SIFT if you're not prepared for it. If you want to be an airline pilot, there are way more fixed wing options in the other branches, if you qualify.

In the context of an airline career those are better choices, but I wouldn’t pick where to spend over a decade of service based on an advantage for a follow on career.  Unless that’s your only motivation for serving, which in that case I wouldn’t recommend any branch of service.

Edited by SBuzzkill
  • Like 1

Thank you for all the replies. I’m sorry I didn’t give you the sufficient information this was my first post in this forum. Although I didn’t give enough information everyone helped me the beat they can. I’m still a senior in high school and I was looking into the “high school to flight school” program. Ive decide to get my private pilot license first then decide on the best route to flying commercial. Thank you so much to everyone who replied. 😊

On 10/29/2020 at 5:47 PM, Than said:

Thank you for all the replies. I’m sorry I didn’t give you the sufficient information this was my first post in this forum. Although I didn’t give enough information everyone helped me the beat they can. I’m still a senior in high school and I was looking into the “high school to flight school” program. Ive decide to get my private pilot license first then decide on the best route to flying commercial. Thank you so much to everyone who replied. 😊

If school is an option, there are aviation degrees you can get along with flight training. My brother in law did this and has been an commercial airline pilot for years now. Or go through a fixed wing school like ATP or something. There are schools that will take you from the bottom all the way through commercial. Its expensive but its available.

If you have the money.  I didn’t, so I joined the Army.  I regularly fly with guys in their 20s who went the college aviation route and if you can swing it that sure is a good way to go.  Not nearly the experience level you’d see from a more “seasoned” pilot though.

Edited by SBuzzkill