Housing and the process for street to seat

Good afternoon everyone.  I got accepted in September and signed my contract In October after a wait for paperwork from my reserve unit(I am street to seat).  I am reportingat the end of March for April's course.  MEPS told me that I have to fly down with only two duffel bags and therefore can not PCS my stuff until after WOCS.  My understanding is that I will only have one week to PCS my stuff into a house after WOCS.  I am assuming I can have movers move my stuff from my old house upon completion of WOCS.  Is everyone else in the same situation?  Does anyone have any tips for finding housing? 

I was in a different situation so i cant speak to your process but as far as finding housing first you have to decide if you want to live on base or off. Pros and cons to each. Both good choices. I’m living five minutes outside of the west gate and i love it. Up to you.

as far as how to find a place there’s zillow, trulia and websites like that. They’re not always fully updated though so my recommendation would be to go straight to realtor websites and go to rental properties if you want to rent. TLS property and prestige management are two local realtors you can check out for rental properties.

Personally Idt buying a house is a bad idea 

50 minutes ago, nil5038 said:

I was in a different situation so i cant speak to your process but as far as finding housing first you have to decide if you want to live on base or off. Pros and cons to each. Both good choices. I’m living five minutes outside of the west gate and i love it. Up to you.

as far as how to find a place there’s zillow, trulia and websites like that. They’re not always fully updated though so my recommendation would be to go straight to realtor websites and go to rental properties if you want to rent. TLS property and prestige management are two local realtors you can check out for rental properties.

Personally Idt buying a house is a bad idea 

What's the BAH over there?

Make sure your orders from MEPS are PCS orders with movement of household goods authorized. If not, then you will pay for your own stuff to be moved with no reimbursement possible, and Fort Rucker will not cut you new orders nor will they amend the current ones.

• Like 1

I was technically street to seat since I came out of the IRR. I flew down to rucker with 2 bags. BUT my orders were PCS orders and as soon as I got to rucker and checked in, I initiated my move with transportation.  I went through with a couple people whose MEPS were too lazy/ignorant of the process to cut PCS orders and it was a 5 month affair trying to get MEPS to amend the orders meanwhile you are stuck at rucker with 2 duffle bags without your family if you have one

3 hours ago, jkray said:

I was technically street to seat since I came out of the IRR. I flew down to rucker with 2 bags. BUT my orders were PCS orders and as soon as I got to rucker and checked in, I initiated my move with transportation.  I went through with a couple people whose MEPS were too lazy/ignorant of the process to cut PCS orders and it was a 5 month affair trying to get MEPS to amend the orders meanwhile you are stuck at rucker with 2 duffle bags without your family if you have one

I am the same as you. What was your timeline for locking down housing? Before, during, after?... I am a single guy, so I have a little bit of flexibility..

12 hours ago, Crash7051 said:

I am the same as you. What was your timeline for locking down housing? Before, during, after?... I am a single guy, so I have a little bit of flexibility..

I had plenty of time since I didn’t end up going through WOCS (prior commissioned) but all of my friends who did go through WOCS had no problem either.

12 hours ago, Thedude said:

There are so many homes, apartments and townhomes for rent around Rucker that you will never have a hard time finding a place to live. It will take less than a day of driving around looking at places and you'll be set.

This. I did a bit of online searching for what I wanted, narrowed it down to 3 places went and looked at them all in one morning and then did the application that afternoon. Got approved the next day. The longest part was waiting for the current tenant to move out over the following couple days 

• Like 1

On 11/1/2020 at 9:46 AM, J123456 said:

Good afternoon everyone.  I got accepted in September and signed my contract In October after a wait for paperwork from my reserve unit(I am street to seat).  I am reportingat the end of March for April's course.  MEPS told me that I have to fly down with only two duffel bags and therefore can not PCS my stuff until after WOCS.  My understanding is that I will only have one week to PCS my stuff into a house after WOCS.  I am assuming I can have movers move my stuff from my old house upon completion of WOCS.  Is everyone else in the same situation?  Does anyone have any tips for finding housing? 

Join "Army Aviation Students" on Facebook. You can see who needs roommates from there. Additionally, Fort Rucker Corvias will put you on a waiting list for on-post housing with or without roommates if you give them a call.

During WOCS, you'll have a little bit of downtime to research the local area and start setting things up. Additionally, you'll find some classmates doing the same thing and you can get a roommate that way to cut costs.

Unless they've changed it, you get 10 days after WOCS to take house-hunting non-chargeable leave. You'll set that up with B Co once you have completed 1st WOC and moved across the street to B Co. That would be the time to move your gear. Ms. Lynn Brown (admin on the Army Aviations Students page) can give you additional info (and already has it posted on the page).

• Like 1

On 11/3/2020 at 6:01 PM, Shadowlurker said:

Join "Army Aviation Students" on Facebook. You can see who needs roommates from there. Additionally, Fort Rucker Corvias will put you on a waiting list for on-post housing with or without roommates if you give them a call.

During WOCS, you'll have a little bit of downtime to research the local area and start setting things up. Additionally, you'll find some classmates doing the same thing and you can get a roommate that way to cut costs.

Unless they've changed it, you get 10 days after WOCS to take house-hunting non-chargeable leave. You'll set that up with B Co once you have completed 1st WOC and moved across the street to B Co. That would be the time to move your gear. Ms. Lynn Brown (admin on the Army Aviations Students page) can give you additional info (and already has it posted on the page).

Can confirm the Corvias housing thing, I'm going to WOCS in December and they signed us up for the housing wait list, its pretty straight forward. The lady was super polite and helpful.