Hey everyone, I've been reading around and it sounds like there's going to be a lot of running at WOCS, to the point that most Youtube videos on the subject I've seen says that's the thing a candidate should be preparing for most, and that 6 mile runs are pretty common and to be able to run 7 minute miles. Is this the case?  I'd consider myself in good shape, generally get about a 260 on PT, and whatnot, but running has never been my strong suite. I'm working through a  6 week plan to improve my times before I leave, but I guess I'm just wondering how difficult PT actually is at WOCS. 

Thanks! 

8 hours ago, Fabulous Jewfro said:

Hey everyone, I've been reading around and it sounds like there's going to be a lot of running at WOCS, to the point that most Youtube videos on the subject I've seen says that's the thing a candidate should be preparing for most, and that 6 mile runs are pretty common and to be able to run 7 minute miles. Is this the case?  I'd consider myself in good shape, generally get about a 260 on PT, and whatnot, but running has never been my strong suite. I'm working through a  6 week plan to improve my times before I leave, but I guess I'm just wondering how difficult PT actually is at WOCS. 

Thanks! 

Have not been through during COVID, but was there just prior. Honestly, the PT schedule got messed up more often than not. I think during the 5 weeks, we maybe did about 10-12 sessions. Between the APFT, now ACFT/Rucks/Land Nav/History Trip/CIF/Graduation, you won't do as much as you'd think. 7 minute mile is fine, just make sure you are eating appropriately and drinking water (but not immediately prior to formation. You'll... figure that timing out and get what I'm saying later). There is only one "bad" day of PT and you just have to not quit; you don't have to kill yourself on that day and try to be the front if that ain't you chief. There's plenty of old people tech warrants going to WOCS and literally no one in common core will ask you how you did during Rifle PRT. 

The amount of crap you'll wear while PTing is dependent on the cadre and the weather. Anything you do, they will generally do though, so they're like 85% in the suck with you. They just get energy drinks and can switch off who is running the pt session.

I was there in July during covid times, like others have said the first day is really the only bad day of pt and yes all you got to do is not stop. I'm a slow boy and had no problems. The first week you'll do pt and then maybe 10ish more times the rest of the course most likely. 

1 hour ago, Shadowlurker said:

Have not been through during COVID, but was there just prior. Honestly, the PT schedule got messed up more often than not. I think during the 5 weeks, we maybe did about 10-12 sessions. Between the APFT, now ACFT/Rucks/Land Nav/History Trip/CIF/Graduation, you won't do as much as you'd think. 7 minute mile is fine, just make sure you are eating appropriately and drinking water (but not immediately prior to formation. You'll... figure that timing out and get what I'm saying later). There is only one "bad" day of PT and you just have to not quit; you don't have to kill yourself on that day and try to be the front if that ain't you chief. There's plenty of old people tech warrants going to WOCS and literally no one in common core will ask you how you did during Rifle PRT. 

The amount of crap you'll wear while PTing is dependent on the cadre and the weather. Anything you do, they will generally do though, so they're like 85% in the suck with you. They just get energy drinks and can switch off who is running the pt session.

Wow. Thank you so much for all the info, this is super helpful. To clarify though, I can't run a 7 minute mile, maybe 7:30 or so, but 7 would be pushing it for me. 

Is it all the ACFT now? I got an orientation email saying that the ACFT was on the schedule and it doesn't mention the APFT at all. Is it possible I am finally safe from never doing another APFT again? Lol 

But for real, thanks for the insight, this is all great information to have, I was kind of starting to stress out a bit about all the PT since all the videos on YouTube and the orientation packet stress it so much. 

1 hour ago, eyrk said:

I was there in July during covid times, like others have said the first day is really the only bad day of pt and yes all you got to do is not stop. I'm a slow boy and had no problems. The first week you'll do pt and then maybe 10ish more times the rest of the course most likely. 

Thanks for the encouragement, this is good to know. How slow is slow for you? I'm generally at a 15 something 2 mile on the old APFT, but for anything longer I try for 9 minute miles. 

1 hour ago, Fabulous Jewfro said:

Thanks for the encouragement, this is good to know. How slow is slow for you? I'm generally at a 15 something 2 mile on the old APFT, but for anything longer I try for 9 minute miles. 

Uh i run like 16 or so on the ACFT. Down here ACFT is in full effect as APFT is dead. We had one dude in my class who literally had broken his back like 9 months prior so pt really isn't crazy. 

What is miserable is doing 4 for the core on pavement with tiny pebbles now that did suck. Fire ants as well, ensure you look before getting down. 

11 hours ago, eyrk said:

Uh i run like 16 or so on the ACFT. Down here ACFT is in full effect as APFT is dead. We had one dude in my class who literally had broken his back like 9 months prior so pt really isn't crazy. 

What is miserable is doing 4 for the core on pavement with tiny pebbles now that did suck. Fire ants as well, ensure you look before getting down. 

Wow. That's a weird thought, not having to do the APFT again. Would you advise still training for it? Like theoretically could they still pull it out and grade on it or is it like completely gone? 

And yikes, fire ants suck my guy. lol

Like I always tell everyone, getting selected was the hardest part of WOCS and flight school. Almost every single person who shows up to Rucker for WOCS graduates and then goes on to graduate flight school. It can be difficult mentally at times but if don't quit or go down medically you will get your wings and be a pilot. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Thedude said:

Like I always tell everyone, getting selected was the hardest part of WOCS and flight school. Almost every single person who shows up to Rucker for WOCS graduates and then goes on to graduate flight school. It can be difficult mentally at times but if don't quit or go down medically you will get your wings and be a pilot. 

Thanks, that's really encouraging. I've wanted to do this my whole life and I just want to make sure I'm lined up and prepared to do as well as I possibly can so I can make this dream come true. 

Pre covid time but also semi recently;

Only 4 plus mile run was rifle PT day 0, which was pretty savage. Also there is a hill run at the end of a phase that was a struggle for some people.

Other than that, we didnt really run all that much. Like Eyrk said, make sure you’re set on land nav. Especially if you’re street to seat, land nav is your biggest obstacle in WOCS.

The land nav course is easy as hell, and you get 2 tries (and worst case they just recycle you). Unless you don’t understand the very concept of land nav, you’ll be fine. If you can get practice, by all means do. 

“Rifle PT” was the only PT session that smoked me in WOCS. Just have fun with it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mike0331 said:

The land nav course is easy as hell, and you get 2 tries (and worst case they just recycle you). Unless you don’t understand the very concept of land nav, you’ll be fine. If you can get practice, by all means do. 

“Rifle PT” was the only PT session that smoked me in WOCS. Just have fun with it. 

I agree the land nav course for me was easy but even our class stuck to the average failure rate of 25% first time and 10% double fail. 

On 11/7/2020 at 10:01 PM, eyrk said:

I agree the land nav course for me was easy but even our class stuck to the average failure rate of 25% first time and 10% double fail. 

I'd like to say I'm decent at land nav, is it pretty much just the basic course in easy terrain during the day?

For my AIT my last enlistment we had a course in the Wichita mountains in OK, and that was moderately difficult because of the rugged terrain, but it wasn't hard otherwise. On the other hand, land nav courses at night in the woods freaking suck, hopefully its not that lol

Here’s a tip for the road ahead:  Stop overthinking it.  You’re going to have to do it, so is everyone else.  Stressing about it will just make you miserable.  Just take things one step at a time and don’t try to get ahead.  Instead just focus on doing the best you can in the phase you’re in.

Sometimes you can be thinking too far ahead of the airplane, and when you realize it you will be behind.

Edited by SBuzzkill
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, SBuzzkill said:

Here’s a tip for the road ahead:  Stop overthinking it.  You’re going to have to do it, so is everyone else.  Stressing about it will just make you miserable.  Just take things one step at a time and don’t try to get ahead.  Instead just focus on doing the best you can in the phase you’re in.

Sometimes you can be thinking too far ahead of the airplane, and when you realize it you will be behind.

Good point, I think I try really hard to plan for stuff, but I also overthink the crap out of it too, which I mean it kind of makes sense since I've been aiming at this for years now. But thank you, I appreciate it. 

A lot of people here are over-thinkers. Plenty of stuff in actual flight school to overthink. WOCS, just show up, don’t violate any honor codes, and listen to instructions and you’ll be fine.

• Like 2