Helmet Bag

A few of us use one from Red Rock. You can look at it on Amazon under the search string “Red Rock Duffle Bag.” It is the one with three internal sections that can be worn like a backpack. It fits my alternate visor, helmet, and ALSE vest. There’s another company that makes the same exact bag but is two or three times the cost.

my first one lasted about five years and two aviation deployments to AFG. Finally ordered a replacement when some of the plastic buckles broke.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0085P716I/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_HlHUFbVJETZW8?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 2

That’s a nice bag.  Those compartments are pretty sweet, much better than the stuff everything in with the helmet routine I used to do.  Exactly what they say not to do, LoL

Shame you had to buy a new one over some broken buckles, since they are easy and quick to replace.  Next time talk to your ALSE guy about sewing some new ones on.

Edited by SBuzzkill

13 minutes ago, greyrider245 said:

Kinda off topic, I assume students are given helmets/headsets? Are there options for ANR headsets that are compatible with the Army helmets?

You're issued a helmet. You can also use issued CEPs which stands for something I can't remember but are basically foam headphone/earplugs that plug into the helmet and provide a better level of noise reduction than just the helmet earcups alone. There are options for custom fit CEPs as well but that's about it, you won't fly with any helmet but what you're issued. 

Also the CEP’s are mandatory to wear as aviation is a known hearing damage job. You can opt to not wear them but it’s harder to hear and if you sustain hearing damage through your career the army won’t let that be part of your VA claim as they provided you with the means to mitigate the damage

There’s also “hush kits” available from Oregon Aero that replace the issued ear cups, also, denser noise reduction foam that goes into the ear cups. Apache helmets are a little different so I’m not 100% sure on what the kits are for the standard Army aviation helmet. Check with your unit whether it’s approved but it works pretty well. There are a few of us that moved from CEPs to just our hush kits.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, SBuzzkill said:

That’s what I used.  Zeta liner, hush kit, comfort kit, and a different microphone.  Made for a great setup, though some of that was not authorized.

Pretty much all of it...

Hush kits are great until it gets cold and then it's like trying to shove your head into a hole in a rock.

Don't worry about that, helmet ear cups don't clamp on your head like a PNR headset does.  They seal but not with nearly the same amount of pressure.  With a properly fitted helmet you'll fly 8+ hours with a helmet on and not have issues.  It was always my legs and butt that gave up on me.

• 2 weeks later...

Just don't get the one from Helicoptersonly. I'm on my third one from them. Quality is sh*t and it's expensive. Had it moderately full of gear one night when one strap just ripped at the seam where it attaches to the bag, while I was walking. Few days earlier, one of the inside compartment zippers broke because of the poor quality. They won't stay zipped up at all either.  I asked for a replacement before realizing I'd rather just have my money back. 

On 11/27/2020 at 7:09 PM, jkray said:

Also the CEP’s are mandatory to wear as aviation is a known hearing damage job. You can opt to not wear them but it’s harder to hear and if you sustain hearing damage through your career the army won’t let that be part of your VA claim as they provided you with the means to mitigate the damage

Only mandatory for the 47/60. But, I'd pay the $80 and get CEMs for all helmeted aircraft anyway. Hearing loss is not something I'd want to deal with and the CEMs make those radios way easier to hear. Especially in the Lima where there's not independent radio volumes copilot to pilot side (just independent master vol).

Gowildhawk.com has nice looking helmet bags. I haven't purchased one yet because I'm still justifying the price. Some other people recommended Brightline bags, but those are expensive and look more civ oriented. I just have the normal issued bag and then a pubs bag from Gung Ho gear that is now for snacks and coffee.

7 hours ago, SBuzzkill said:

CEPs specifically or just double hearing protection?

Operations in UH-60 and CH-47 aircraft require both helmet and earplug use to attenuate noise and prevent hearing loss. 

Earplugs 

Communications Earplug 

7-34. The communications earplug (CEP) (figure 7-2, page 7-7) improves hearing protection and speech communication reception. 

Insert-Type Earplugs 

7-35. Insert-type earplugs are a common form of hearing protection. All earplugs tend to loosen with talking or vibration and must be reseated periodically to prevent inadvertent noise exposure. Users' voices sound lower and muffled with properly fitted earplugs, and initial use can diminish the user's ability to hear cockpit communications. 

E-A-R® foam earplug, V-51R single-flange earplug, triple-flange earplug are the only three listed in the insert-type category. 

So the answer is your question is neither of those two. The .93 specifically labels usable earplugs, not just double protection.  
You could elect not to use CEPs, but with the additional issues that stem from using insert-types, I wouldn’t recommend it. 

CEMs currently do not have an AWR and are not in the .93, so if you have hearing loss, I wouldn’t cop to using them. That said, if you’re using CEMs, you probably

won’t have that bad of hearing loss compared to someone not using them. If the molds are correct, they assist far better than regular plugs(source: I used them for my former non-aviation job. They were studied in that capacity, the Army just doesn’t want to pay money to research.)