WOCs Packing List items

Hey guys,

I leave for WOCS in 2 weeks, and I was wondering, should I bring some of the items on the packing list with me down to Fort Rucker with me? I'm currently not in the military, so I don't have much that's on the list. I live in the midwest, and my recruiter told me to only bring a backpack of essential stuff, so I'm not sure how much room I'll have. Any particular items I should get now that are sold out on base? 

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Fabulous Jewfro said:

Hey guys,

I leave for WOCS in 2 weeks, and I was wondering, should I bring some of the items on the packing list with me down to Fort Rucker with me? I'm currently not in the military, so I don't have much that's on the list. I live in the midwest, and my recruiter told me to only bring a backpack of essential stuff, so I'm not sure how much room I'll have. Any particular items I should get now that are sold out on base? 

Thanks!

I am in the same boat. I am going straight there as well. I talked to someone else who did and he said he didn't really bring much. Essentials obviously. You have time beforehand to get what you need. I am going to try to bring some of the small things on the list.

17 minutes ago, Crash7051 said:

I am in the same boat. I am going straight there as well. I talked to someone else who did and he said he didn't really bring much. Essentials obviously. You have time beforehand to get what you need. I am going to try to bring some of the small things on the list.

Hey, awesome, glad to see there's someone else going at the same time. Is there anything else you've done to prepare? I've been working hard physically to get ready, but academic wise, I've been told to sit tight beyond very basic soldier stuff. 

On 12/17/2020 at 12:34 PM, Fabulous Jewfro said:

Hey, awesome, glad to see there's someone else going at the same time. Is there anything else you've done to prepare? I've been working hard physically to get ready, but academic wise, I've been told to sit tight beyond very basic soldier stuff. 

Not really. Just working out. or trying too. Its real unfortunate timing for the gyms to close. You need to knowThe WO Creed, soldiers creed and army song

1 hour ago, Crash7051 said:

Not really. Just working out. or trying too. Its real unfortunate timing for the gyms to close. You need to knowThe WO Creed, soldiers creed and army song

The definition of a WO not the WO creed. I don’t want anyone going to learn that long ass thing when that’s not what they need to know. 

Reference: DA PAM 600-3, Chapter 3, Para. 3-9

up to the point where it says progressive assignment and education.

• Like 4

There’s a video on YouTube on Definition of U.S Army Warrant Officer, helped me out. Also on the packing list I don’t know what has changed since I went but everything is picked over unless you can leave post once you get there and get your supplies. 

On 12/17/2020 at 12:29 PM, Fabulous Jewfro said:

Hey guys,

Thanks!

Well how would you be attending wocs if your not in the military? All I’ll say is show up prepared with everything that is on the list just like everyone else will or you most likely won’t start the course. You can’t expect to be pinned WO1 and not do the basics required of you prior to the start date.

T

32 minutes ago, Ragnar said:

Well how would you be attending wocs if your not in the military? All I’ll say is show up prepared with everything that is on the list just like everyone else will or you most likely won’t start the course. You can’t expect to be pinned WO1 and not do the basics required of you prior to the start date.

Not really helpful my guy. I mean I’m waiting to leave. I haven’t been in an actual army unit in over a year. 

I’m saying before I move down there. Everything you’re saying is stuff that’s already known. I feel like you’re intentionally misunderstanding what I’m asking, but I could be wrong. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Zjs28640 said:

There’s a video on YouTube on Definition of U.S Army Warrant Officer, helped me out. Also on the packing list I don’t know what has changed since I went but everything is picked over unless you can leave post once you get there and get your supplies. 

Thanks, I’ll try to grab as much as I can before I get down there. And I’ll check out the video :)

9 hours ago, Ragnar said:

Because people with less than a five year break in service that are Army or Marines report straight to WOCS without anything...

8 hours ago, Fabulous Jewfro said:

Thanks, I’ll try to grab as much as I can before I get down there. And I’ll check out the video :)

you should just get everything issued when you get there man just try to collect anything you might still have. I’m showing up without any computer access and no ASU top because I wasn’t issued one from BCT and I’m fresh from the Navy. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Fabulous Jewfro said:

T

Not really helpful my guy. I mean I’m waiting to leave. I haven’t been in an actual army unit in over a year. 

I’m saying before I move down there. Everything you’re saying is stuff that’s already known. I feel like you’re intentionally misunderstanding what I’m asking, but I could be wrong. 

I’m not intentionally misunderstanding you. What you wrote didn’t make sense to me. The only things CIF will issue you is TA-50. Everything else is on you. There’s clothing and sales, and LEEs alteration shop that will have pretty much anything you need for Wocs. 

15 minutes ago, Ragnar said:

I’m not intentionally misunderstanding you. What you wrote didn’t make sense to me. The only things CIF will issue you is TA-50. Everything else is on you. There’s clothing and sales, and LEEs alteration shop that will have pretty much anything you need for Wocs. 

Sorry for not wording it more clearly, I was just trying to emphasize that I have like nothing that's military related, items wise rn lol

• 2 weeks later...

Hope you're not reading this too late in the game, but here's my perspective. I came straight from BCT to WOCS, and I had the time between basic and WOCS to get everything I needed. If you don't already have any of the army combat attire, it will be on you to purchase that ahead of time. You will want at least three of the top, bottom, socks, shirts, etc. The ASU top and bottom will need to be altered to officer uniform standards, which can be coordinated and done at Lee's Alterations just outside of Fort Rucker. As for the items you will want, I can't remember the exact list, but make sure you purchase a combination lock, basic first aid, an extra pair of COMFORTABLE boots, plenty of college rule paper and pens, highlighters and basic stationary are recommended. An alarm clock is handy but you can easily get by on a digital watch with an alarm. You can't wear anything other than your army issued clothing so I wouldnt worry about filling up your bags with other clothing. No food items or electronics. You will have a few days before you actually start to coordinate with other folks in your class and go to the PX if you missed anything. I wouldnt stress, but if you dont have everything they gave you in basic like uniforms and the camelback type water source, I would get all that before you go. It will be required. Let me know if you have any other questions! 

• Like 1