Optometry help. Clusterf*ck at flight physical

The doc submitted it and it took about a month for it to be approved.  He told me at the time it was about a fifty fifty chance that it would be approved.

Once you get past that barrier things change, so after that it was basically just making sure I was correctable to 20/20.  The tolerance is much higher for uncorrected vision.

I met standards in my other eye and this one was close enough that the doc felt there was a chance.  Had my eyes been worse I don’t think he would have submitted a waiver.

Edited by SBuzzkill
  • Like 1

nothing to do with your getting an Army flight school seat, but....

Retired career pilot, Vietnam, IP/CFI, off-shore and then HEMS for the last 16 of 48 years. The last quarter century of my career I used corrective lenses having developed presbyopia, and did so until I retired. I thought what the heck, I wore protective lenses and sunglasses all the time anyhow, so...

The year I retired my physical disclosed developing cataracts. So, I had the presbyopic lens exchange, with vision correcting refracting lenses implants. I kick myself for waiting until after my flying career to get my eyes fixed.

Yeah, it was a thing and it scared the bejeesus out of me. No, I'm not 20/15 again, but I forgot how the world looked through my own eyes

Do it now, if you want to fly. If nothing else, it's a pain carrying a spare pair of glasses, contacts, whatever. Losing a lens in flight single pilot, really, truly sucks.

Don't go with the cheapest provider, even if you have to pay the whole tab. This is something you want the best of.

• Like 3

Updating everyone! I went to a civilian optometrist today and turns out Ft.Hood did a lousy job! I got 20/60 each eye and 20/40 for both eyes. I knew i had never been 20/80!! Granted I squinted lol but nothing in the reg says I can't squint, it is still uncorrected. 

Without squinting I was at 20/70 for each eyes and about 20/50 for both! The doctor let me take the test squinting and without doing so lol. 

Going tomorrow to another doctor to get one more prescription so I can have more than one piece of paper in case when I go back to pass the flight physical they try to tell me something different again.

Will keep updating and thank you all so very much for the help! I am still thinking of lasik in the future but if I can get in now in this next JAN board and make it through... I will get it after graduation. I just wanna be in!! Been flying my little Tomahawk every day wishing I was in a UH60 lol (I did fly a robinson a couple of times but can't afford rotary training out of pocket rn...so getting my ratings in fixed wing for now)

Happy new year!

• Like 1

Keep in mind that once you are on active duty getting LASIK/PRK requires permission from your commander. I've seen commanders deny the procedure for junior pilots because it will down you for months afterwards when you should be learning how to fly and do your job. I'd still recommend getting your packet in as soon as you can and worrying about that later though. Good luck and remember, 60s are for boring kids who don't like to have fun.