Former military to civilian awkward experience zone hurdle advice

I3uller

On 5/19/2021 at 8:15 PM, I3uller said:

I absolutely have more to learn and am happy to do so whenever I can. I've spoken to some folks I know in the industry but don't know/haven't met any current/prior SIC's or even really any two pilot operators outside of the military. Seems to be somewhat more rare outside of fire/heavy lift. From the little I have heard it seems to be non sole manipulator and difficult to build any PIC time with. I was basing my question off the job postings I have seen which almost all request x amount of PIC helicopter time (many at 2000+ which I don't have and would need to build).

I did get my R44 SFAR PIC sign off completed out of pocket to pick up some work at a new tour base but it has been pretty slow so far hence my revisit to this thread. Just trying to plan out the future if this doesn't work out and hopefully find somewhere I can fly a lot and work hard. I'm completely open to any and all suggestions though. Do you mind elaborating on why SIC would be valuable for me?

Yes, fire/heavy lift is where SIC spots are available. It's valuable because these days you could do a season as a SIC and if you play your cards right, you could move into a PIC spot pretty quickly. More and more utility operators are utilizing 60's and I've met pilots with zero 60 time move into PIC spots within a year... Basically, it's your 60 time that's valuable so use it to your advantage.... PJ Helicopters comes to mind as I know they lost a few of their pilots this year.... 

Additionally, don't rely on what you read for minimums. If you're the right person, minimums can be waived. This is why I say "talk" to people. Sending resumes in with a later follow up call won't cut the mustard...... 

Also, some of the majors have recruiters who can provide some info. In this case, REACH comes to mind as I've received calls from them......

4 hours ago, Spike said:

Yes, fire/heavy lift is where SIC spots are available. It's valuable because these days you could do a season as a SIC and if you play your cards right, you could move into a PIC spot pretty quickly. More and more utility operators are utilizing 60's and I've met pilots with zero 60 time move into PIC spots within a year... Basically, it's your 60 time that's valuable so use it to your advantage.... PJ Helicopters comes to mind as I know they lost a few of their pilots this year.... 

Additionally, don't rely on what you read for minimums. If you're the right person, minimums can be waived. This is why I say "talk" to people. Sending resumes in with a later follow up call won't cut the mustard...... 

Also, some of the majors have recruiters who can provide some info. In this case, REACH comes to mind as I've received calls from them......

Excellent information thank you so much for the insight! Networking is obviously the biggest thing...need to build mine up a bit! 

14 hours ago, I3uller said:

Excellent information thank you so much for the insight! Networking is obviously the biggest thing...need to build mine up a bit! 

Going into a Blackhawk as an SIC is a terrible plan if EMS is the goal. Network, sure but that's any job. Listen to Buzzkill. He's actually DONE this. He was smart though, he went to the airlines. I would strongly encourage you to consider that.

Edited by helonorth

Ryan, 

Goal.... Find a job.... Period...   

If you believe tours are your best bet, then go for it! But, you'd have to believe the tour operators have recovered from the pandemic and operating at a level where they'd hire a guy with your background. However, I believe this avenue is kind-of like suggesting getting into Oil and Gas sector..... Probably not a good time for that either.... You can sit and wait for these sectors to fully open up but you'd be losing ground.....

The best job for you is the one you can get..... Get that job and build some industry experience and tailor your track to EMS after that......

Story.... My initial goal in this business was to fly tours in Hawaii....... I haven't attained that goal because my track changed which has kept me employed over a career......

Try not to get wrapped-up with what people are telling you here on this site (including me). You do what is right for you and your family and things will happen......

Edited by Spike
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, helonorth said:

Going into a Blackhawk as an SIC is a terrible plan if EMS is the goal. Network, sure but that's any job. Listen to Buzzkill. He's actually DONE this. He was smart though, he went to the airlines. I would strongly encourage you to consider that.

Airlines...or you could drive a bus. There are lots of ways to make money, but there is flying and there is, well, driving in the sky.

I’m really enjoying airline flying, it’s plenty challenging.  But I suppose it’s not for everyone.  I just want to make a good career out of leaving the ground and the airlines are the best fit for my goals.  If you want to put down roots somewhere it’s hard to beat.  

I agree Buzzkill. I’m just having some fun. I never considered an airline job because I didn’t want to make flying, something I really love, a routine. For those who do it, they do good work and keep the likes of me safe. 

• Like 1