Personal crossroads with current recruiter deadline

I recently had a comprehensive talk with my recruiter regarding my career ambitions with the armed forces (& specifically aviation) and consequently he left me with 2 decisions to contemplate over the weekend. Due to the fact that these are quite substantial and life altering options, I will most likely tell him that it's a impossible conclusion to make over the weekend and I will require more time before I reach a verdict. However, there is still a critical choice to be made, ergo I come to this forum today seeking some guidance from anyone who is willing to provide a fresh perspective on the matter. 

Here are the options that were laid out for me. 

Option 1: apply to WOFT in a few months to a year with a fairly uncompetitive package

Option 2: enlist now in a MOS that'll grant me opportunities for promotions at an advanced rate, AND quickly develop my individual qualities so I will have a competitive edge over other WOFT applicants when I am able to apply after a few years of service. (Recruiter recommended the 14 series ADA MOS line, but if I was to go this route I'd most likely pick a 15 series MOS)

However, with all of that being said, there are a few other attributes that must be considered before I reach my decision. Such as: 1. I have a peanut allergy, and whilst my chances of a med waiver for it are relatively good, my enlistment won't be guaranteed regardless of what field I chose. 2. I am a homeschooled kid with average grading all around. If I did chose to push for a WOFT packet, the only edge I'd have amongst other applicants is my physical traits, as I am tall and physically fit. Otherwise, I never did any AP classes, I never did boyscouts, CAP, or anything of the sort. I did briefly do martial arts for 2 years, but that's the height of my sports history and I'm not sure that it would be worth mentioning in a packet. I'm also not sure where I would receive my LORs from, as I'm a fairly introverted kid with minimal connections. 3. My math is currently subpar as I only paid enough attention to get a passing grade as I didn't think algebra would be a necessity in life. Obviously, in hindsight, it wasn't a smart decision by any stretch of the means, but I am confident that if I took a year or so to recuperate my math skills that I would be able to succeed in achieving a adequate GT & SIFT score to be a competitive choice for flight school. 4. My primary ambition is to join the army, with a close secondary ambition to serve as much of my career as a warrant officer. While I'm sure that it would be nice to start off as a warrant officer, I'm not too sure if it's worthwhile taking a year or 2 build upon myself in order to submit a packet only to find out that I still don't meet the required pre-requisites in order to be accepted into the street to seat program, as my ultimate goal is to serve as long as I physically can in the army and taking the time to build up my WOFT packet may very well subtract some retirement years off of my service time. 

There's inarguably pro's and con's to each route, but it's still a hefty decision to make considering my background. I should mention that flying has always been a passion of mine, but with the dilemma presented to me, I am quite uncertain if it's a achievable goal for me to make straight from the civilian sector, or if I need to enlist first and then build upon my credentials before applying later in my life. I will answer any further questions about any aspect that you can think of with complete honesty, so please don't hesitate to ask. 

If you want quick promotions an aviation MOS is not the way to go. Promotions are way, way faster in combat arms so 11 or 19 if that's what you're looking for. If you want to be a pilot then put in a warrant packet while going to community college and working a job. If you don't get accepted then think about enlisting. If you enlist first you're looking at waiting probably 3+ years before putting a packet in anyway. 

1 hour ago, Thedude said:

f you want quick promotions an aviation MOS is not the way to go. Promotions are way, way faster in combat arms so 11 or 19 if that's what you're looking for.

Roger. If I was to enlist now I would most likely go the 14 series as they are considered combat arms and they are in dire need of all ranks and they don't cause the same physical toll that the 11 series jobs do. 

If you want to be a pilot then put in a warrant packet while going to community college and working a job.

In your opinion, do you think the ARNG would be a suitable compromise as it would pay for my community college, whilst also (to a certain degree) allowing me chose my involvement with them? 

If you don't get accepted then think about enlisting. If you enlist first you're looking at waiting probably 3+ years before putting a packet in anyway. 

Or, on the flip side of things, If I abstain from all military involvement until I am able to drop my packet, do you think it'll ultimately be worth it even if it would take me a year or 2 to get to where I need to be? 

You probably should never say 14 series MOS are combat arms again, especially not in person to anyone who actually is a real combat arms soldier. Almost bust a gut laughing at that.

If you're going to enlist and later put in a warrant packet starting off as a 15 series is going to be your best option regardless of promotion potential. I've seen a number of E3s and E4s get selected. The everyday exposure to aviation will help you understand what you are getting yourself into instead of going in blind like you would from a non-aviation MOS. It also makes the process much easier when you are face to face daily with the warrant officers who will be recommending you instead of trying to track one down at an airfield you've never seen before. 

If you enlist in the Guard it might change your eligibility for a street to seat application - I don't know enough about how that would work to give you a good recommendation. 

My recommendation to start community college while putting in a packet still stands. At worst you aren't selected and lose a year of time you would've spent enlisted but you aren't wasting it. At some point if you want a degree you'll have the first year of basic college classes done. I don't know how closely homeschooled you were but it also gives you time to grow up in a semi real world environment before jumping straight into the Army.