WOFT question and PPL

I'm currently in highschool and for my next two last years I have the chance of taking flight school to obtain a PPL. This license would be for airplanes. I'm curious if it would look good when applying and increase my odds of getting in or just be a waste of time and money.(I would preferably like to fly helicopters in the army) 

It will likely not increase your chances at all. However, don't plan your life around applying to something that may not even happen. If you want to fly for a career, in the Army or not, it won't hurt to get that started sooner in life and especially not when you're living at home and have basically no bills or life problems to worry about. 

I started flying back in 2005 and got my fixed wing private in 2007. Wayyyyy before I joined the Army to fly. I have always been an aviation junkie and honestly I would get that PPL as soon as you can. 

It will help you in many ways. For one, you will enjoy the fun that is general aviation( aka. real aviation)... aviation culture and heritage for what it truly is. 

The Army absolutely kills everything that makes aviation beautiful so you will be prepared to brave the storm. I am not telling you this to scare you, it's just mind numbingly different. 

• Thanks 1

I would think a PPL could only help you, there was maybe one or two guys in my BOLC class that had it (in 2013) and they certainly picked up on things a little faster than us zero-time guys. I'd say if you can get a deal on it and want to fly, go for it! Just don't do it for the sole purpose of looking good in front of a board (unless it's an ANG/AFR fixed-wing board, for which PPLs are basically a bare minimum requirement to even apply these days).