Left Hand pilot position

• 1 month later...
My understanding from a book that I read is that due to the three seat configuration in the front row, it was deemed safer to have the pilot (thus the collective) on the left side, away from interference from the center passenger. Not sure if this is correct but it makes sense.

I believe there is a right seat PIC version of the 369/500 series.

Longlining from the 500 in the left seat is fairly easy. Your body wants to lean left towards the collective. Slinging from the right side of a helicopter you will feel like you are leaning away from the collective. Not to say it is bad to sling from the right but some find it easier to sling from the left seat. My opinion is you get used to whichever seat you fly out of and learn how to deal with it.

I'm a rookie long line pilot, but can see how the left seat is a plus. Collective and cyclic from the right seat would be harder to control. And the left skid low attitude seems to help in seeing the load.

My 2 cents.  ::whistle::

• 8 months later...

I have over 800 hours of long-line experience in 500 series (500d-e and Notar) and i also sling with 206L and Astar.

I prefer to sling from the left side, it's easyer for the back, closer from the collective and also better grip and movement for the cyclic.

They probably put the PIC in the left seat like they do for planes. and also probably to make room for the middle passenger seat. there is not that much room in the middle anyway !:D

I really like flying the 500 series especially the notar ! it's such a great machine !

• 1 month later...
Main reason is seating. The 369A (military version) is right PIC because there are only two seats in front. Interestingly, this A model has special seats for the back that are nothing more than small pads you put on the floor, so that you can put more than 2 people in the back. I think you can fit 4 people sitting like that on the floor in the back.

When the OH-6 first went into service, it had the PIC on the right side.  When Hughes decided to put it into civilian service, it was going into competition with the 206.  To compete on even terms, the 500 had to have 4 passenger seats.  The only way it could be accomplished was to move the PIC to the left.  Today you can still order any of the single engine MD's with RH PIC.

As to the back seat.....believe it or not, the army actually had a configuration for 7 passengers in the back.  All sitting on the floor, with 4 facing aft and 3 forward, legs intertwined.  It was quite a sight.  Hope this helps.

• 4 weeks later...
As to the back seat.....believe it or not, the army actually had a configuration for 7 passengers in the back.

I will not beleive it ! :) ... so 7 in the back + 3 in front = 10 persons in a 500 ... eeee :rolleyes:

I think you mean 7 persons on board total ? Because it's physically impossible to fit 7 persons in the back of a 500 !!

4 pax in the back maximum with there feet facing the side of the cabin.

A big advantage to the left PIC position is that you can fit more pax in the front, and that pax cannot interfere with the collective. (Find a copy of the old movie "Race for the Yankee Zephyr" for the appealing scenes of three sizable adults crammed into a 300C!) There are also a lot of left PIC Eurocopter products doing tours.

The disadvantage is managing the cockpit - it's a bit more of a hassle to work the console as you either have to reach across with your left hand, or fly the cyclic left-handed (or between your knees) while you use your right for radios, etc. You get used to it pretty quickly, though. Also in the 269/369 series, your left hand can get a little cold in a Minnesota or Alaska winter - it's right down by the (usually leaky) door.

<font color='#000000'>I was told by a Hughes test pilot that there was no specific reason, and that the military just chose the left side. Also the 300's are the same way.</font>

Further evidence of the 'Hughes No Reason Theory" is that 300CBi's, and CB's are right side PIC, and 300C's are left side PIC...Then there's the rare 300G model with 400hp, negative pitch blades, and center PIC ;) or Maybe some suit at Schwiezer thought the right PIC was un-American of crazy howie and changed it for the C model.

I will not beleive it ! :) ... so 7 in the back + 3 in front = 10 persons in a 500 ... eeee :rolleyes:

I think you mean 7 persons on board total ? Because it's physically impossible to fit 7 persons in the back of a 500 !!

4 pax in the back maximum with there feet facing the side of the cabin.

In the military configuration, 2 pilots are up front. 7 pax in back, no doors. Total....9 on board.

would be a nice fit all those guys in the back of the 500!! the ec130 is LHD, and thats pretty new, they did it for the long lining, and to jam more in the front. I think the co is middle seat tho???

the other reason for lifting with an american machine from the left, apart from being so easy leaning out the left door, is the way she wants to fly. When you are on max loads the nose wants to go round to the right, so as you are moving off, when seated on the left you can see where you are heading. If you are on the RHS you need a lot of left pedal to see whats going on in front of you.

Same thing happens, in reverse as you bring a heavy load in, you can come straight in with the t/r hanging out in fresh air, as you are virtually sliding sideways to the drop off point.

Look at all the Bell products out there, made initially for the military, i guess they specified the captains seat so it stuck, but anything used in the commercial world on lifting would be LHD. We have been running JR's and UH1s on commercial work since 1977, and have them converted to LHD for the above reasons.

Basically you can lift more for the same power, and no huge pedal inputs required. Obviously thats if the blades go the right way round, i think the power etc would work in reverse on the 130 etc, so they are winning on 1 side but losing on the other.

• 1 year later...
Yeah, I've seen a lot of Special Ops 'Little-Birds' with this configuration (MH-6).... Ever seen the movie Blackhawk Down?

The MH-6 has pods, basically a bench, on each side of the aircraft. Each pod can hold 2 guys. You just tie off a sling rope and clip on with a D ring. Good times, and seriously uncomfortable. I've never seen anybody ride in the back though, the purpose for the setup is to get off the aircraft in a hurry. Legs intertwined in the back would make that difficult. As far as the guy who said he thinks it's impossible to put that many in there...sigh, I do love the Army, always room for one more.....

Edited by nsdqjr

Ahhhh one other thing to add to the advantage to the left seat PIC for longlining. It has to do with translating tendency. As you know, for translating tendency, the aircraft wants to drift in the direction of tail rotor thrust. With the 500 and the tail rotor mounted on the left side of the aircraft, it wants to drift to the right. To compensate for translating tendency, you have a small left cyclic input to counteract the drift, so while in a hover, the aircraft will have a slight lean to the left. This slight lean allows for you to have a better sight picture of the load. Another reason for the left seat pic in longlining is that using the collective becomes much more comfortable and easier to control, since you lean into the collective, instead of leaning away. To understand how it would feel, go to any aircraft with dual controls in it and get set up like you are flying the aircraft. Then, while holding the controls, lean out the aircraft and act like you are flying vertical reference. Try it on both sides and see what is more comfortable and what feels like it would be easier to control.

Hope this helps.

Scott