Hello everyone...I was recently accepted by the board for IERW acceptance as a Street to Seat applicant for the Army Guard. I should be going to MEPS over the next couple of weeks to swear in and sign my contract. I am not prior service so do not have any experience with this myself and the only tips I have gotten are, “If it’s not written in the contract, don’t sign”. My recruiters do not have much concrete information as I am the first S2S they have dealt with.

1. Is there anything specifically I should be looking for when I read the contract before signing? Do they try and “sneak” anything in? I am aware of 10 year ADSO post flight school.

2. God forbid something happens during basic/WOCS/IERW that would disqualify me from aviation (developed medical condition, sustained injury during training or curriculum failure for example), am I able to separate from service completely instead of being pushed into another branch/MOS. Should that be specified in the contract?

3. I had read elsewhere about getting moving privileges (to Ft Rucker) written into the contract as well; true?

4. I have a long-term fiancé (haven’t gotten married yet due to finances/college/COVID)...do the benefits change much by having a spouse? Wondering if it’s worth it to go “court house” style before enlisting or just waiting until post-training for the whole wedding. We currently have a domestic partnership (so she could get on my health benefits from work), does the military recognize domestic partnership? Will we have issues with PCS’ing?

Thank you all in advance. I’ve tried doing as much research as possible before posting and these are the questions I have been unable to have answered.

Last one....is a contract specified for the state specific Army National Guard? I have no plans to leave the unit I am going into, but with a 10 year contract, it would also be foolish to ignore the fact that “life” happens. In other words, are inter-state transfers possible (for aviators specifically)? Don’t jump down my throat, as I mentioned before, obviously after giving back years to your state and unit lol. What about going from Guard to Reserves/Air NG/Air Reserves? Trying to understand the options if i were to eventually move to an area where a specific unit is no longer feasible.

Stay safe!

Just read it all through and ask for clarification on anything that looks weird. Should you become disqualified after training at anytime it is entirely up to the Army what to do with you. If you read the enlistment contract carefully you'll notice a paragraph that basically says the Army can change the terms of your enlistment at anytime without your consent.

Without being married your fiance will receive no Army benefits (healthcare, ID card, etc) and you will receive the lower rate housing allowance as a single soldier. You will not be paid for her to PCS and your total weight allowance will be lower as a single soldier. 

1 hour ago, JBar4434 said:

1. Is there anything specifically I should be looking for when I read the contract before signing? Do they try and “sneak” anything in? I am aware of 10 year ADSO post flight school.

not really it’s pretty straight forward MOS 09W for flight training  

2. God forbid something happens during basic/WOCS/IERW that would disqualify me from aviation (developed medical condition, sustained injury during training or curriculum failure for example), am I able to separate from service completely instead of being pushed into another branch/MOS. Should that be specified in the contract?

A few of the street to seat people they let out if they want to get out from what I’ve seen recently but your mileage may vary

3. I had read elsewhere about getting moving privileges (to Ft Rucker) written into the contract as well; true?

yes make sure your orders at MEPS are PCS orders because it will be hell trying to get them amended after the fact but possible 

4. I have a long-term fiancé (haven’t gotten married yet due to finances/college/COVID)...do the benefits change much by having a spouse? Wondering if it’s worth it to go “court house” style before enlisting or just waiting until post-training for the whole wedding. We currently have a domestic partnership (so she could get on my health benefits from work), does the military recognize domestic partnership? Will we have issues with PCS’ing?

the benefits do change as she would get all the benefits of base access, healthcare and extra BAH for you. They won’t pay for her to move if you aren’t married and if you want to live on base which I would recommend you will get single housing vs married housing which is much nicer. 

Last one....is a contract specified for the state specific Army National Guard? I have no plans to leave the unit I am going into, but with a 10 year contract, it would also be foolish to ignore the fact that “life” happens. In other words, are inter-state transfers possible (for aviators specifically)? Don’t jump down my throat, as I mentioned before, obviously after giving back years to your state and unit lol. What about going from Guard to Reserves/Air NG/Air Reserves? Trying to understand the options if i were to eventually move to an area where a specific unit is no longer feasible.

yes they are possible and if life does happen getting an interstate transfer shouldn’t be a problem just explain your situation. But don’t do it right out of flight school because that’s a dick move

Stay safe!

I’ll try but can’t promise anything

Answers in bold

5 minutes ago, Thedude said:

Just read it all through and ask for clarification on anything that looks weird. Should you become disqualified after training at anytime it is entirely up to the Army what to do with you. If you read the enlistment contract carefully you'll notice a paragraph that basically says the Army can change the terms of your enlistment at anytime without your consent.

Without being married your fiance will receive no Army benefits (healthcare, ID card, etc) and you will receive the lower rate housing allowance as a single soldier. You will not be paid for her to PCS and your total weight allowance will be lower as a single soldier. 

Thank you for the info! Understood about post-training, but what about before completion? I believe I enlist as a 09W, Warrant Officer Candidate....I would imagine that BCS, WOCS and IERW would be written into that initial contract. Upon completion is when I would sign the ten year ADSO contract. Should the initial contract state something along the lines of failure or med. disqual results in separation from service?

3 hours ago, JBar4434 said:

Thanks so much, I really appreciate the information!

No it won’t say separation. It’ll say six years if not completed or three if failed out if WOCS I believe but because you’re S2S they know you don’t have military experience and may allow you to just separate after wocs. Before idk 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/10/2021 at 2:51 PM, BB766 said:

So with ANG you can go S2S ? I thought you had to have an MOS before applying, meaning that you had to join and do a job for x amount of  time and then apply to be WO then a pilot. 

Depends, each state sets their own rules. I was selected in the NG in a state that took S2S as well as sister service applicants (I was in a sister service when I applied). I ultimately chose to take an active duty spot but it’s possible. You have to speak to the state’s WOSM manager. Call around to states that you are potentially interested in. 

https://www.nationalguard.com/contacts/wosm

• Like 1

Did they tell you you will be going straight through the whole pipeline? Did they tell you you will be coming in as an 09W? I’ve seen street to seat done some creative ways in the Guard. For example, you are boarded and selected and for whatever logistical reason enlist as a 15T, go to BCT, have your orders amended, go to your unit, wait for a WOCS slot, return to your unit, wait for an IERW slot, etc. Point being, the Guard can get creative. While not your contract so to speak, if you have a letter from the aviation board accepting you, no need to panic if they are doing something weird to bring you in (though certainly ask questions).

If you are inevitably getting married, being legally married prior to this whole thing will be easier/to your benefit. However, DO NOT let that be the reason you get married. 

You can transfer States at a later time. Life happens, but it can be a shitty thing to do if you do it right off the bat as states have limited school slots and most are hurting for pilots.