Warrant to Commission

Hello all,

Been discussing with several 60 buddies possible opportunities to go fully commissioned in a different branch after some time as a warrant in the Army. Wondering if anyone knows of any 60's drivers in Air Force/Coast Guard that were once warrants or anyone else with information on the topic. I know the Coast Guard has a direct commission program for high time pilots as long as they are under 33 (?) but not quite sure about the Air Force.

3 hours ago, lazyboozin said:

Hello all,

Been discussing with several 60 buddies possible opportunities to go fully commissioned in a different branch after some time as a warrant in the Army. Wondering if anyone knows of any 60's drivers in Air Force/Coast Guard that were once warrants or anyone else with information on the topic. I know the Coast Guard has a direct commission program for high time pilots as long as they are under 33 (?) but not quite sure about the Air Force.

Maximum age for USCG DCA program is 35. Waivers are considered. Minimum 500 hours rated. All of the requirements are on USCG recruiting under the “DCA” Direct Commission Aviator program outline. I worked with several prior WOs before in switched from the CG to the Army. 

3 hours ago, Thedude said:

With a ten year ADSO future warrants won't be able to take a transition to the Coast Guard without a waiver due to their limit on active federal service time. This year's CG DCA board wouldn't even consider waivers for being over the AFS. 

Still a solid program to consider for those of us within the limits. Also for all my prior USCG homies, it’s AFS not including prior USCG active time. Hopefully the they will consider AFS waivers moving forward at some point as they will lose a lot of solid future Coasties. I always enjoyed flying with input from other service experiences.

For those Warrant Officer aviators within the limits, active duty AF is still in play. Max age 32 and must have the 4yr degree in attending OTS.

A few years ago, the #4 slot pilot (Maj) for the Thunderbirds was a former UH-60 Reserve CW2.

With the new ADSO, more than likely not flying in the active duty Air Force as an option unless the Army releases you early.

Possible in the AF Res/Guard. They are more flexible.

Thank you all for the replies. I'm 25 with the 6 year ADSO. I was prior service Air Force so I always had interest in flying the CSAR mission and with the Air Force's recent contract for >140 HH-60W's I became even more interested. But I'll continue to see what's out there as I go forward.