Making the transition

eaw913

I am going to be transitioning from the USCG in the next couple of years and will likely be getting out with around 1000 hours. Sadly not as much flight time as I wanted to get before separating, but I’m looking into my options to continue flying civilian side. 

I would like to work towards EMS as the majority of my experience is SAR/medevac, but will need some more time before then. I’m going between flying tours or obtaining my CFI/II and gaining the necessary time. Anyone have any advice or other suggestions of ways to build time and utilize my experience? Mostly just trying to prepare myself for transitioning more than anything. Thanks for any advice. 

Tours will get you there quick judging by my friends’ experiences.  One went to Papillon and one to Maverick.  Both of them flew their butts off and one is now flying firefighting helicopters after doing some utility stuff and the other went into an AGR job after getting bored flying civilian stuff.

They started out leaving the Army with around 1800 hours, but that’s a small gap to make up for you.  I assume you have some good instrument time?

1 hour ago, SBuzzkill said:

Tours will get you there quick judging by my friends’ experiences.  One went to Papillon and one to Maverick.  Both of them flew their butts off and one is now flying firefighting helicopters after doing some utility stuff and the other went into an AGR job after getting bored flying civilian stuff.

They started out leaving the Army with around 1800 hours, but that’s a small gap to make up for you.  I assume you have some good instrument time?

A good friend of mine flying EMS recommended both Maverick and Papillon as well, so I’ll have to check them out. I’m willing to move and live anywhere. 

A couple of pilots I flew with at my previous unit are doing firefighting in the LA area now. I’m less interested in that track, but awesome jobs. I’ve never flown civilian side, so it’ll be very new to me. 

A large chunk of my flight time is instrument time, tons of operations in fog and terrible weather. One benefit of the CG! My biggest concern is just getting into a tour job since I’ll be right at the hours requirement. Hoping the experience will help me out a bit. 

19 hours ago, eaw913 said:

I am going to be transitioning from the USCG in the next couple of years and will likely be getting out with around 1000 hours. Sadly not as much flight time as I wanted to get before separating, but I’m looking into my options to continue flying civilian side. 

I would like to work towards EMS as the majority of my experience is SAR/medevac, but will need some more time before then. I’m going between flying tours or obtaining my CFI/II and gaining the necessary time. Anyone have any advice or other suggestions of ways to build time and utilize my experience? Mostly just trying to prepare myself for transitioning more than anything. Thanks for any advice. 

RLC would probably hire you. Offshore transport for oil companies in the B206L and B407.

https://www.rlcllc.com/

As Buzzkill said, tours is probably the quickest way to build the time. Although Papillon will get the job done, I have never heard one good thing about the place. Maverick has a good reputation and pays well.  Hawaiian tours are also an option. Most EMS operations are single pilot and employers look for that. When the time comes to start applying for EMS jobs, I urge you to find an IFR operator. Makes the job much easier and safer, IMO. Definitely easier. Good luck.

• Like 1