Medical Issue Opinions

I have two issues that are making me think twice about starting an Army aviation career. 

I had a past "spell" with depression that required medication. I've been cleared and medically stable for several months, and by the time I would get my flight physical it would be over two years. I read in AR 40-501 that any history of depression is disqualifying, but I'm not sure if I interpreted that correctly. The second is my vision. My corrected vision is slightly over 20/20, but my uncorrected vision is worse than 20/50. What is the likelihood of these issues holding me back? Any advice or feedback is greatly appreciated!

I had a history of kidney stones. Stones by themselves are supposed to be disqualifying. I had my last stone in 2017 (4 total) and finally wised up and started drinking more water, less soda and just overall eating healthier and exercising. I was granted a waiver based on showing they were no longer an issue and that I made changes that worked. I think a selling point was also that there was no medication or surgeries involved as well. However, I almost self eliminated and didn't try at all.

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. "

-Wayne Gretzky

-Michael Scott 

I put the references that should cover the answers to your questions. Vision can be corrected with surgery at your expense to met the standards if needed. Mental disorder history is much less black and white and can't be answered based off what you posted. If you want to be a warrant officer and pilot then start the process and see what happens. It is a 100% no strings attached process, if you do the physical and are not qualified you are not on the hook for military service.

Uncorrected vision worse than 20/50 is a disqualifier in accordance with AR 40-501.

4–5. Vision Conditions that do not meet the standards of medical fitness for flying duty Classes 1, 2, 2F, 2P, 3, and 4 are the following:
a. Class 1. Any disqualifying condition must be referred to optometry or ophthalmology for verification.
(1) Uncorrected distant visual acuity worse than 20/50 in either eye. Each eye must be correctable to 20/20 with no more than one error per five presentations of 20/20 letters, in any combination, on either the Armed Forces vision tester (AFVT) or any projected Snellen chart set at 20 feet.
(2) Uncorrected near visual acuity worse than 20/20 in each eye; with no more than one error per five presentations of 20/20 letters, in any combination, on the AFVT or any Snellen near visual acuity card.

Depression/mental disorders can be disqualifying depending on type, recency and treatment/outcome. First quote is AR 40-501 specific to aviation, second is DoDI 6130.03 general standards for enlistment. 

4–29. Learning, psychiatric, and behavioral health

The minimum psychiatric evaluation will include diagnostic criteria and terms found in the most recent edition of the DSM–5. Waiver considerations will be submitted to the USAAMA as fully detailed in DA Pam 40–502. The causes of medical unfitness for flying duty Classes 1, 2, 2F, 2P, 3, and 4 are the causes in current accession standards, except as modified by the following:
a. Psychotic episode. Current or history of any psychotic episode evidenced by impairment in reality testing, to include transient disorders, from any cause except transient delirium secondary to toxic or infectious processes before age 12.
b. Bipolar or depressive disorders. Current or history of bipolar or depressive disorders.
c. Anxiety disorder of obsessive-compulsive disorder. Current or history of anxiety disorder or obsessive-compulsive disorder; including, but not limited to, generalized anxiety disorder, panic disorders, or unspecified anxiety disorder. Current or history of any phobias or severe or prolonged anxiety episodes after age 12 even if they do not meet the diagnostic criteria of the DSM–5.
d. Post-traumatic stress syndrome. Current or history of PTSD.
e. Dissociative disorder. Current or history of dissociative disorder.
f. Impulse control disorder. Current or history of any impulse control disorder.
g. Somatic symptom. Current or history of any somatic symptom and related disorders.
h. Neurodevelopmental disorders. Current or history of autism spectrum disorders, communication disorders or other neurodevelopmental disorders if occurring after the 14th birthday. History of visual perceptual disorder or other learning disorders.
i. Personality disorder. Current or history of personality disorder or other unspecified personality disorder. Other unspecified personality disorder includes personality traits insufficient to meet criteria for personality disorder diagnosis, and maybe cause for an unsatisfactory aeromedical adaptability rating.
j. Adjustment disorder. Current or history of any adjustment disorder.
k. Substance-related disorders. (1) Current diagnosis of alcohol use disorder with risk to safety, judgment, and occupational impairment is disqualifying for all classes. (2) Current or history of alcohol use disorder including unspecified alcohol-related disorders without risk to safety, judgment, or occupational impairment may be disqualifying for all classes. (3) Current or history of drug abuse (including illegal drugs, other illicit substances, and prescribed medication) is disqualifying for all classes. Experimental use of drugs during adolescences may be found fit after review by the USAAMA.
l. Substance-induced mental disorder. Illicit drug use or other substance-induced mental disorder is disqualifying. History of misuse, abuse, or dependence of any controlled substance, and/or use of any illicit drugs, including marijuana and psychoactive substances is disqualifying for all classes. Experimental use of drugs during adolescence, minor traffic violations, or clearly provoked impulsive episodes may be found fit after review by the USAAMA.
m. Suicide attempt or ideation. Current or history of suicide attempt or ideation at any time.
n. Fear of flying that impairs functioning. Refer aircrew with a conscious fear of flying, that is, those who have made a conscious choice not to fly, to the aviation unit commander for a nonmedical disqualification and flying evaluation board. (See AR 600–105.)
o. Emotional responses to situations of stress, either combat or noncombat. When such a reaction may interfere with the efficient and safe performance of an individual's flying duties as determined by USAAMA review.
p. Psychoactive medication. Current or history or current use of psychoactive medication.
q. Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. Current or history of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.

SECTION 5: DISQUALIFYING CONDITIONS 5.1. MEDICAL STANDARDS. Unless otherwise stipulated, the conditions listed in this section are those that do not meet the standard by virtue of current diagnosis, or for which the candidate has a verified past medical history. The medical standards for appointment, enlistment, or induction into the Military Services are classified into general systems in Paragraphs 5.2. through 5.30.

5.28. LEARNING, PSYCHIATRIC, AND BEHAVIORAL DISORDERS.
a. Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, if with: (1) A recommended or prescribed Individualized Education Program, 504 Plan, or work accommodations after the 14th birthday; (2) A history of comorbid mental disorders; (3) Prescribed medication in the previous 24 months; or (4) Documentation of adverse academic, occupational, or work performance.
b. History of learning disorders after the 14th birthday, including but not limited to dyslexia, if any of the following apply: (1) With a recommended or prescribed Individualized Education Program, 504 Plan, or work accommodations after the 14th birthday; (2) With a history of comorbid mental disorders; or (3) With documentation of adverse academic, occupational, or work performance.
c. Autism spectrum disorders.
d. History of disorders with psychotic features such as schizophrenic disorders, delusional disorders, or other unspecified psychoses or mood disorders with psychotic features.
e. History of bipolar and related disorders (formerly identified as mood disorders not otherwise specified) including but not limited to cyclothymic disorders and affective psychoses.
f. Depressive disorder if: (1) Outpatient care including counseling required for longer than 12 cumulative months; (2) Symptoms or treatment within the last 36 months; (3) The applicant required any inpatient treatment in a hospital or residential facility; (4) Any recurrence; or (5) Any suicidality (in accordance with Paragraph 5.28.m.).
g. History of a single adjustment disorder if treated or symptomatic within the previous 6 months, or any history of chronic (lasting longer than 6 months) or recurrent episodes of adjustment disorders.
h. History of disruptive, impulse control and conduct disorder to include but not limited to oppositional defiant and other behavior disorders.
i. Any personality disorder including unspecified personality disorder or maladaptive personality traits demonstrated by: (1) Repeated inability to maintain reasonable adjustment in school, with employers or fellow workers, other social groups, or psychological testing revealing that the degree of immaturity, instability, of personality inadequacy, impulsiveness, or dependency may reasonably be expected to interfere with their adjustment to the Military Services; (2) Recurrent encounters with law enforcement agencies (excluding minor traffic violations) or antisocial behaviors are tangible evidence of impaired capacity to adapt to military service; or (3) Any behavioral health issues that have led to incarceration for any period.
j. Encopresis after 13th birthday.
k. History of any feeding or eating disorder.
l. Any current communication disorder that significantly interferes with producing speech or repeating commands. m. Suicidality, including suicidal ideation with a plan, suicidal gesture(s), or attempt(s).
n. History of self-mutilation.
o. History of obsessive-compulsive disorder.
p. History of post-traumatic stress disorder.
q. History of anxiety disorders if: (1) Outpatient care including counseling was required for longer than 12 cumulative months. (2) Symptomatic or treatment within the last 36 months. (3) The applicant required any inpatient treatment in a hospital or residential facility. (4) Any recurrence. (5) Any suicidality (in accordance with Paragraph 5.28.m.).
r. History of dissociative disorders.
s. History of somatic symptoms and related disorders.
t. History of gender dysphoria is disqualifying unless, as certified by a licensed mental health provider, the applicant has been stable without clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning for 18 months.
u. History of paraphilic disorders.
v. Any history of substance-related and addictive disorders (except using caffeine or tobacco).
w. History of other mental disorders that may reasonably be expected to interfere with or prevent satisfactory performance of military duty.
x. Prior psychiatric hospitalization for any cause.