overseas helicopter pilot seeks work / informatio

G'Day i am a helio pilot from Australia who is looking to work in the USA but i am at a loss to know how to go about it. I have been told that without a 'green card' i don't have much hope of working but on the other hand i have been advised that if i do some training i can some and work for up to 1 year.I am not after charity but just a fair go in so far as the right way to go about training / working eithout breaking any of your laws. thank you for letting me ask this and if any one has any information / advice please contact me kindest regards Terry Smith. ::rotorhead::

Hi Terry,

There is a so called J1 visa for a duration of 24 month. It allowes you to get a FAA commercial and flight instructor license. After the conversion you can work as "flight instructor only" (restriction on the visa) for a flight school to get hours!

But the hook is that you need to have less than 50 hours of flight time AFTER your PPL to be eligible for a J1 visa. You also need to train with a flight school who is certified under PART 141 to get a J1 and there are just a few of them in the states.

Other than that, there is no chance to get a visa/work permit as a forign pilot.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest dragonfly76
The problem with J-1 visas is this: any school that might be able to offer such a visa, can choose from all applicants. as J-1 visas are limited by law, schools will only accept those applicants who bring the most money. Simple as that.