Question about the Helicopter Force Trim Function

Hi everyone,
I am new here and would appreciate if a helicopter pilot would find the time answering some of my questions related to the force trim function.

Are the following statements correct:

(a) If I engage the Force Trim function the cyclic locks into that position and this is the new 0,0 position.

(b) I can still make corrections but the range is now limited and if I exceed that limit, Force Trim will disengage.

(c) If I move the cyclic from that new 0,0 position I will feel a "spring" load, returning the cyclic back to the locked position if I would let go of it.

If the range (b) is limited, by how much?

Thanks!

"(c) If I move the cyclic from that new 0,0 position I will feel a "spring" load, returning the cyclic back to the locked position if I would let go of it."

The cyclic is not 'locked' into any position.  The force trim will apply an increasing tension as the cyclic is moved away from the set 'trim' position.

Never had a force trim release itself under any force and I'm glad that has been so. An unexpected reduction in control resistance might well lead to an overcontrol.

Edited by Wally
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Wally said:

The cyclic is not 'locked' into any position.  The force trim will apply an increasing ...

Wally, Thanks for the helpful reply!

Is the cyclic limited in range when moved away from the set 'trim' position?

In my aircraft the force trim is a function of magnetic brakes. It is a purely mechanical system and simply holds the flight controls in the position it was set. You have full control movement without disengaging the trim by just applying more force to the controls. When pressure is relaxed the controls return to the trimmed position.

7 hours ago, Thedude said:

In my aircraft the force trim is a function of magnetic brakes...

Thanks Thedude!
Exactly what I wanted to know. This will help me a lot with my project. I am building a cyclic force trim for my flight sim.  The last time I had the pleasure to be in a real chopper was 40 years ago and it didn't had force trim. I am a retired engineer and the tech has changed so much since. Again, thanks!