Accredited Universities that offer a Helo Program?

Just to let you know, the uvsc program is not included in your loan like I was told it was from the school that I trained at. One reason I trained at this school was because they said the uvsc program was included in the loan.

What school was it? If I remember right I was setting my loan up to go to USVC and they would be disbursing to the FBO? I don't recall though. I'm going to have to setup a different loan with a cosigner because although I am credit approved they want me to have money as well.

What school was it? If I remember right I was setting my loan up to go to USVC and they would be disbursing to the FBO? I don't recall though. I'm going to have to setup a different loan with a cosigner because although I am credit approved they want me to have money as well.

The school that I am referring to is universal helicopters. Before I signed up I asked if the uvsc progrram is included in the loan and he told me yes it is. They also pay for the first two semesters and by the third semester you are on your own because there is no more loan money. Tuition now costs $17,000 and going up every year. I would think twice about this because you are going to be quite busy working as much as you can to pay back your loan.

• 1 month later...
<font color='#000000'>Upper Limit Aviation in Salt Lake City, UT is affiliated with UVSC.  Students are able to complete the helicopter specific ground school and flight training through the flight school and receive a two or four year degree through UVSC (with the proper # of college credits of course).

information@ulaheli.com</font>

Can someone please help me to understand the degree options? I already have a bachelor's and am looking into doing Upper Limit Aviation affliated through UVSC. What are the advantages of having a degree in aviation, as opposed to just completing flight training? Is it strictly financially beneficial (can get financial aid) or are there career advantages? Can you get the financial aid through UVSC if not matriculated towards a degree? Any information at all would help me so much!

• 4 weeks later...

For those still interested, they are doing something pretty progressive at ERAU/Prescott. Right now there is a Helo FLight minor and the flight is done at Guidance Helicopter. In the three years the program has run, there has been well over 95% hiring rate after graduation. This year they plan to start a Helicopter Operations and Safety Minor that includes courses the industry has said they'd like to see.

This next year there is a move afoot to begin a new Helicopter Pilot Specialty under their existing Aeronautical Science Degree with their own (contracted or not) helicopter flight training (in-house).

Thing is; at 5000' and Robinson products, with direct links to Papillon for Internships, you won't get better prepared for the industry anywhere else.

It's where I'm sending my kid for certain.

• 1 month later...

Hi Ross85,

I am new to this site and iam very interested in becoming an helicopter pilot.

I live in Boston and had my intro flight at Norwood with the New England helicopter academy.....right now iam researching the best ways to go about the financing part of the training. If you have some info relating to this i would love to hear from you especially since you are in the same area as i...

<font color='#000000'>Hi,

I am at Bridgewater State College in Massachusetts. They have a fixed wing program affiliated with Delta airlines. The main reason I decided to go to this school was because they said that they would let me train in helicopters after i got the fixed wing rating i wanted. I had my private fixed wing when i got to college and then got my instrument, next I started doing my commercial helicopter at Plymouth Airport. I am the first kid at my school to do helicopter training. We would like to get more students so we can start a program like delta has. The school is great and the tuition is cheap because its a state school, which is good when flying costs so much. The school has been very cooperative with me in setting up pretty much my own program and its been fun. let me know if you have any questions.</font>

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Guest No Bad Days...

Does anybody know of any Helicopter schools in Riverside California. I would like to get my Commercial License and start a flying (Like everybody else).

Thanks,

No Bad Days...

I graduated from the University of North Dakota with all the fixed wing ratings they offer, And got my commerical Helicopter Add-on from them as well. You do NOT have to be in ROTC to do the helicopter training but they do cater to ROTC a little more then Civi's. I have plenty of first hand knowledge about the program, so if you have any questions about it, or I can give my personal opinions, just ask.

I graduated from the University of North Dakota with all the fixed wing ratings they offer, And got my commerical Helicopter Add-on from them as well. You do NOT have to be in ROTC to do the helicopter training but they do cater to ROTC a little more then Civi's. I have plenty of first hand knowledge about the program, so if you have any questions about it, or I can give my personal opinions, just ask.

Personal Opinions aside, Just the Facts:

If you are starting without any ratings at all, you will be required to get a PPL Airplane in a piper warrior your first semester, then the next semester a PPL Helicopter in a H300. After that you will proceed to a semester of helicopter systems and transition into a Bell 206. Then the next semester is Helicopter aerodynamics and back in the H300, to complete your commerical ticket. Next semester is Basic Attitude Instrument Flying in the Bell, then a semester to complete the Instrument rating in the Bell.

Those are just flight classes. You will also be required to take Weather, Physiology, Law, Safety, and others to complete out the degree.

List of Degrees:

http://www.avit.und.edu/f2_Programs/f1_Und...duate/index.php

Here is a list of flight classes and project cost of each:

http://studentservices.aero.und.edu/f3_Add...opter/index.php

Full Course List:

http://www.avit.und.edu/f2_Programs/f1_Und...urselisting.php

A degree in commerical aviation helicopter requires:

Flight Classes

Avit 102, 142, 243, 244, 245, 346

Non-Flight

Avit 100, 103, 208, 250, 302, 309, 327, 403, 411, 430, Two of either 402, 405, 407

Various General Ed classes, Math, English, etc... I can get a Graduation Status sheet for any aviation degree offered that shows exactly what classes are needed, just PM me with your Email address and which degree program if you want to see it.

My Personal Opinions:

I feel that the school offers excellent classes and some of the best instructors around. But on the other side, I feel that the school consentrates too much on Black and White.... Regs, Policies, Procedures etc. I received my Private and Instrument Airplane outside of UND and feel I got more flying experiance there then I would have got at UND. However UND offers up a lot of training I don't think I could have had at my local FBO. UND is excellent at explaining how things work and educating people on aerodynamics and offering training classes, but almost all the flight instructors, lead instructors, course managers are graduates from UND, and most haven't done any flying outside of UND so they can't teach experience. A lot of the helicopter instructors however are ex-military and can show you some pretty cool stuff, I however didn't get one of them, I got an inbread, but he was ok and got the job done. I also think UND is a little policy happy, there are so many policies and procedures in place that it makes it almost impossible to make those little mistakes that you learn from, (I.E. launching into bad weather that you probably shouldn't have done, which is able to be handled by the instructor but you learned what you can and can not handle). I'm not trying to be too negitive here, there are some awsome classes with absolutly excellent teachers. The Avit 309 Flight Physiology class was one that I will forever be greatful I had taken. With 2 trips into a Hypobaric chamber to feel what it is like at 25,000ft without oxygen, to see how you react, and how your mind goes, 1 trip doing rapid decompressions just so you know what it would be like when that window blows out at 30,000ft and a couple of trips in a vertigon experiencing different illiusion and disorentations that could happen in flight. All of which is training that could not be replaced by anything else, and I would pay any sum of money for that training.

Specifically the Helicopter department... I feel is kind of a ripp off, money wise. 90% of the Helicopter students are ROTC, and because of that the University can really charge what they want since the students are not paying for it. Which leaves us non ROTC people paying the big bucks. $310/hr for H300 and $100/hr for instructor. I also felt the ROTC people get priority over us Civi's, they get the better instructors and stuff, which could be a coincidence, but that's how it feels.

To touch on the Aircraft... UND has some of the best aircraft I've ever flown. The maintaince, and up keep of every single piece of equipment is top notch. The Helicopters seem to be a little harder to schedule sometimes but usually not too big a problem, not enough I've ever had to get mad about. Everything is always clean and ready to go. You need oil, call them up on the radio and 2 minuets later they are there. Pulled out of the hanger, no prob, call em up the calvary will be there pulling 3 aircraft at once to get you out. With a fleet of, ~75 somthing regular warriors, ~20 Glass cockpit warriors, ~15 Arrows, ~10 Seminoles, ~3 Glass cockpit Seminoles, a Beech Baron that was just sold, ~20 Cirrius SR20's, 2 Decathalons, 2 Piper Cubs one on floats, a cessna 150, 2 Bell 206's one brand new, and 6 Schweizer H300's, I'm sure I missed something... I did that by memory, they have a very top notch line, and maintaince crew that I can't complain about.

Any other questions just ask. I have plenty more but I'm getting tired of typing right now, and I'm sure your sick of reading.

Kevin

Edited by AngelFire_91
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

OIT news

Public Affairs Office § 3201 Campus Drive § Klamath Falls, OR 97601-8801

541.885.1160 § 541.851.5306 (fax)

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT: Kristina Maupin, 541.885.1164, kristina.maupin@oit.edu

Dec. 21, 2007

AVIATION PARTNERSHIP FORMED

KLAMATH FALLS, Ore. – Oregon Institute of Technology has entered into a unique aviation partnership with Central Oregon Community College in Bend, Ore. COCC has blended their two-year aviation degree with fixed-wing (airplane) pilot training offered by Professional Air, and rotary-wing (helicopter) pilot training offered by Leading Edge Aviation, both located at the Bend Municipal Airport.

With the addition of OIT to this partnership, participating students have the option to graduate with a bachelor’s degree in Operations Management from OIT in addition to an associate degree in Aviation Science from COCC. Students will be able to complete the associate degree, professional pilot licensure/certification and bachelor’s degree on the COCC campus in Bend and at the Bend Municipal Airport.

Students may choose from the following Federal Aviation Administration airplane or helicopter certificates:

· Private Pilot; Airplane single and multiengine land, airplane single sea, and/or rotorcraft-helicopter

· Commercial Pilot; Airplane single and multiengine land, airplane single sea, and/or rotorcraft-helicopter

· Instrument Rating; airplane and/or helicopter

· Certified Flight Instructor (CFI); airplane and/or helicopter

· Certified Flight Instrument Instructor (CFII); airplane and/or helicopter

Flight simulator training is conducted using “glass cockpit” technologies which offer easily readable graphical views of key flight indicators such as altitude display and mach speed. FAA approved flight simulators are also used in training.

Graduates of the Operations Management bachelor’s degree program are fully prepared for a career in aviation, including the airlines and helicopter operations in areas such as fire fighting and oil exploration.

Contact John O. Miller, aviation program director at COCC, for more information about the AAS/AS degree at COCC by telephone at 541-318-3736 or e-mail jomiller@cocc.edu. For more information about COCC, visit www.cocc.edu.

Contact Ralph Gibbs, assistant professor of management at OIT, or Charlie Jones, professor of management at OIT, for more information about the bachelor’s degree in Operations Management. Gibbs may be contacted by telephone at 541-725-5929 or via e-mail ralph.gibbs@oit.edu. Jones may be reached by telephone at 541-885-1377 or via e-mail at charlie.jones@oit.edu. For more information about OIT, visit www.oit.edu.

All,

I am the Student Services Director for HelicopterAcademy.com. We have a program through UVSC and part of my job is to help students through UVSC and to be a lesion to UVSC. I am also a UVSC student in my Junior year. We have had a tremendous amount of success with UVSC. I have had a tremendous amount of success also if I wouldn’t have gone through UVS I would have never gotten a loan to become a pilot.

The benefits of UVSC is that students that have been given low offers or counter offers usually can get 100% approved through Sallie Mae in association with UVSC's program. The loan now becomes an "alternative loan". I have seen that many students that were declined or even required a co-signer were approved through the college route. The reason is because when you buy a car, they can repossess the car and recover some money, but an education cannot be repossessed. When you go through college it’s looked upon as a bigger commitment for your earning potential, than if you just got a career training loan. UVSC has limited the amount of money you can get per semester to $50,000. When you go to UVSC the online classes through the Global Aviation Degree Program qualify for in state resident class rates, and are funded through a different source than your Flight School loans. After filling out a FASFA, Utah Higher Education Association dulls out loans for your classes.

As pointed out earlier Utah Valley State College offers a few AS programs and two Bachelors programs, Aviation Pro. Pilot, and Aviation Admin. Later this year UVSC is going to become Utah Valley University and will be offering a Masters Program. UVSC is a regionally accredited program, and has a pretty good name in aviation.

Concerning Helicopter Specific classes, they do not offer any Helicopter specific classes and leave it up to your flight school to teach you the helicopter stuff. The information given is all fixed wing information, so it is up to you to discern the differences. I have spoken to them about adding Helicopter classes but they have said that there aren’t enough students to make such a class or course schedule. That is amazing to me because in my classes, when looking through the forums, there are always a significant amount of Helicopter pilots. It may also be noted that your quizzes and exams do include fixed wing questions like lazy 8's. You may be inclined to learn about fixed wing stuff or you can just breeze through it. The Classes quizzes and exams aren’t to hard, everything is open book. If you load your classes correctly you can do your flight classes while you obtain your licenses. For example if you’re a student pilot going for your private, you’d take Private Pilot Ground and Private pilot Ground. The PPL Ground course is lectures and quizzes that are test prep for your FAA written Exam. The FAA written exam is your PPL Ground final, so if you score a 90% on the FAA written, you'll score 90% on your final. The PPL flight class, you basically get your hours, take a small 50 question final and turn in your license and you’ll get 100%. If you already have your licenses you'll have to take a small 50 question test and turn in your license and you'll receive credit for the class

Leading Edge Aviation is an established full service aviation company. They are FAA 135,133,137,141 approved Helicopter Company. The school has (5) R22's (3) R44's two are instrument trainers and the other is an initial trainer for weight requirements. (1) Bell JetRanger BIII. They are an authorized Robinson sales and service and overhaul facility FAA approved 145. They include mountain flying into all ratings thru ATP. Flight providers for Central Oregon Community College, Oregon Institute of Technology and VA approved. DPE on staff.

Web: www.flybend.com

www.leadingedgeavn.com

Edited by bellpilot

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Viper Killer,

The program at the University of North Dakota is available to you. While it's initial focus was on Military students, they now have a large private student base as well.

You will get the same curriculum that the Army students get, and the instructors are all high time guys, with excellent skills, and are a true pleasure to fly with.

Other have posted about UVSC, which my school offers as well, but it is not the same.

The Georgia program has a fairly good rep as well, and you can't beat the price, but I have no direct knowledge of their program.

The Embry Riddle program has a few bugs to work out still and is not in the same league as UND.

I would suggest that you get your pvt fixed wing rating at a local school while knocking out your General Ed requirements.

This will decrease some of your costs at UND, if you choose to go there.

If you are able to go to Heli Expo (www.rotor.com) this year in Houston Texas, check them out, they will have a booth down there.

Best of Luck

• 2 weeks later...

Another school with AS degree plan for helicopter flying is Palm Beach Community College. They have a professional pilot technology program which allows you to choose from either Maintenance Management track, Operations track, or Professional Pilot track. The latter can be in either fixed wing or helicopter and includes the private through commercial ratings, while additionally offering CFI and CFII classes.

I drove down a couple days ago to check it out, but wasn't able to find anybody in that program. There are actually four helicopter flight schools in West Palm Beach that the college will let you choose from. Your options are West Palm Beach Helicopters, Helicopter Academy, Cloud 9 Helicopters, and Ocean Helicopters.

The PBCC has been doing the fixed wing course for a few years, but the helicopter option is pretty much brand new it looks like. For me one of the benefits looks to be the additional financing options available through the college. All of the financing goes through PBCC, and they have an account for you which they use to pay the flight school. They are all 141, and VA approved and any regular student loans/financing options will work for the flight training portions just as well as the college classes.

http://www.pbcc.edu/x3222.xml?id=31

• 4 weeks later...
<font color='#000000'>Hi,

I am at Bridgewater State College in Massachusetts. They have a fixed wing program affiliated with Delta airlines. The main reason I decided to go to this school was because they said that they would let me train in helicopters after i got the fixed wing rating i wanted. I had my private fixed wing when i got to college and then got my instrument, next I started doing my commercial helicopter at Plymouth Airport. I am the first kid at my school to do helicopter training. We would like to get more students so we can start a program like delta has. The school is great and the tuition is cheap because its a state school, which is good when flying costs so much. The school has been very cooperative with me in setting up pretty much my own program and its been fun. let me know if you have any questions.</font>

how much is the tuition

• 3 weeks later...
<font color='#000000'>I'm looking for some sort of 2 or 4 year university that has a Helo program. (Like Embry Riddle for choppers)  Suggestions? Experiences?

Thanks</font>

TwinAir Inc. in Van Nuys, California helo flight school

little tuition and 10% discount

• 8 months later...

Hibbing Community College in Hibbing, MN (Northern Minnesota) Has a 2 year A.A.S Degree for Helicopter Pilot Training.

If you check their site you will see the different financing options and they will work with you to get you what you need for your flight time.

Info Here.

They are Affiliated with Northern Helicopters a part 141 School located at the local airport.

Visit Northern Helicopters.

Northern Helicopters has 2005 and newer R22's (5), a R44 a Bell 206 and one of the 22's is an instrument ship. Plus a Fly-It Sim.

Edited by Kropte

• 3 months later...

Hey Guys,

College of the Sequoias in central california has just started an AS degree program. working with Blue Sky Aviation. Financing has never been as easy as this and in addition you don't even have to get all the way though the AS degree, cause the first 25 hours of credit is all helo training and flight time. Next Classes Start June 8 and housing is provided for out of state individuals in addition to that all out of state training is done in Paso Robles CA, awesome training, very little weather, and the cost is is about 3-4 grand less just for the ground school. Contact they're recruiter at 888-685-7505. Good luck finding your school. Best choice I have ever made!