Accredited Universities that offer a Helo Program?

There was a blurb the other day on HAI about Liberty University in Lynchburg,VA having

an aviation program for helicopter ratings.

We do have a program at Liberty University in Lynchburg, VA. We just had our first two students get their Private add-on on the 27th. We are training in the 300CBi and I really like this helicopter for training. 141 is just about done and will open up a few more options for funding. You can check the program out by contacting me or through the web at http://www.liberty.edu/academics/ then fallow the links to School of Aeronautics.

Tango

• 4 months later...

Which school will give you a complete training loan (CFII)? It seems like they're only willing to loan a small portion. Are you normally taking the college courses and training at the same time? Does anybody find this to be too much work at once? Anybody doing the online courses instead?

What have your total costs been? Average loan rates? Amount of time allowed for deferment? Etc...

I'm considering moving from NJ to Houston, TX to work and save. I didn't know there were schools willing to loan you the full amount if you signed up for their 2-4 year courses. Has anybody followed through with the complete 4 year commitment? How was the experience? Any regrets?

Thanks,

Miles P. Stevens.

Edited by Miles

The University of North Dakota has an excellent all around aerospace program, and they offer optional helicopter training in place of fixed wing for all required course credits. It's not only for ROTC/military training. Website is http://flightops.aero.und.edu/helicopters/.

http://www.studentservices.aero.und.edu/PR...ER/Default.aspx

That totals to about $145,000 for helicopter training. Does that include your college degree, as well? That seems insanely expensive, am I not understanding something?

• 1 month later...
<font color='#000000'>I'm looking for some sort of 2 or 4 year university that has a Helo program. (Like Embry Riddle for choppers)  Suggestions? Experiences?

Thanks</font>

Yes, there are other 2 or 4 year programs similar to what Embry-Riddle had planned. If you are already in Arizona, you might be insterested in Yavapai College. It is in Prescott, Arizona. They are expecting a start date in January 2010 for such a program. It's a 5 semester, 21 month program. You'll be able to use VA benefits to cover the expenses, or, since it's at an accredited college, get federal financial aid (title IV funds) to help cover not only the tuition but the flight fees as well. Since it's hard to get private training loans, many people will be going to these colleges with approved helicopter flight programs so they can get the federal financial aid or the VA benefits.

• 2 months later...

My thoughts after 20 years in this business is that the college programs get you financing to pay for the college and you are on your own for paying for the flight lessons which is what most people really want. The college programs can get you to CFII but can't get you a job particularly in a world that requires 1000 hours and some jobs at 300 hours. Seek a school that will train you to 300 hours and guarantee you a job. There is one out there.

• 6 months later...

There is one out there, it will take your car, motorbike or anything that you have to trade in order to get money from you. Also ask your parents to remortgage the house or just give it to Boatpix outright. I hear they are even taking blood donations for flight time. Talk about sucking the life from you!!

• 5 months later...

It looks like I may be attending ERAU Prescott in the fall. I'm hopeing to minor in Helicopter flight with the training done through Guidnce helicopters. I would be very interested if anyone has experience with this program?

Thanks

Will you be using GI Benefits?

If you are, you need to ask...very directly, what is going to happen after August 1, 2011. The bill has recently changed and it looks like ERAU may be affected.

Yes, there are other 2 or 4 year programs similar to what Embry-Riddle had planned. If you are already in Arizona, you might be insterested in Yavapai College. It is in Prescott, Arizona. They are expecting a start date in January 2010 for such a program. It's a 5 semester, 21 month program. You'll be able to use VA benefits to cover the expenses, or, since it's at an accredited college, get federal financial aid (title IV funds) to help cover not only the tuition but the flight fees as well. Since it's hard to get private training loans, many people will be going to these colleges with approved helicopter flight programs so they can get the federal financial aid or the VA benefits.

It is a great program and offered through Guidance Helicopters. The program has been super successful.

Will you be using GI Benefits?

If you are, you need to ask...very directly, what is going to happen after August 1, 2011. The bill has recently changed and it looks like ERAU may be affected.

It doesn't just effect ERAU's veteren program. It honestly shuts the doors on any veterens considering attending ERAU at all, and especially those who are going to be looking into any type of flight training.

The new bill caps tuition and fees at $17,500 per YEAR for all non-public schools. This barely pays a semesters worth of classes at any ERAU let alone doesn't cover any flight expenses.

<font color='#000000'>I'm looking for some sort of 2 or 4 year university that has a Helo program. (Like Embry Riddle for choppers)  Suggestions? Experiences?

Thanks</font>

Yavapai College and Guidance Helicopters, Inc.

Here are their links

Yavapai College

www.yc.edu

Guidance Helicopters, Inc.

www.guidancehelicopters.com

You can expect to finish you flight program, if you put your nose to the grindstone, in 24 months. These programs take you through the Private, Instrument, Commercial, CFI, and CFII.

im enrolled with COCC and taking online courses slowly but surely, trying to get every bit of non-flight, general ed/core classes out of the way so that when i get out of active duty in a few years, i can go straight down and start training with leading edge. ive heard nothing but good things and i personally have a friend who graduated from their flight training program with fixed and rotary wing tickets.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I was wondering if anyone has gone through any training in Southern California. I will be getting out of active duty in the next year. I am going to go straight to getting my commercial license and hopefully my degree, if I can get both of them paid for.

Thanks.

Have you considered getting your degree too?

• 4 months later...

Thanks</font>

Wallace State Community College, Alabama. Offers Associate in Applied Science Degree. Qualifies for Post 9-11 Benefits. Offers FW and RW.

http://www.wallacestate.edu/programs/technical/aviation.html

• 2 months later...

<font color='#000000'>Upper Limit Aviation in Salt Lake City, UT is affiliated with UVSC.  Students are able to complete the helicopter specific ground school and flight training through the flight school and receive a two or four year degree through UVSC (with the proper # of college credits of course).

information@ulaheli.com</font>

Upper Limit Aviation's affiliation is with Salt Lake community College. (Satellite school) for AS Professional Pilot program for helicopter/rotorcraft part 141 schools.

www.ulaheli.com

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished the Heli course at Palm Beach State University. I accomplished my PPL through CFII in a little over a year at Palm Beach Helicopters. If you would like more info just hit me up. I have all kinds of info for Veterans looking for a place to train!

• 2 weeks later...

I was wondering if anyone has gone through any training in Southern California. I will be getting out of active duty in the next year. I am going to go straight to getting my commercial license and hopefully my degree, if I can get both of them paid for.

Thanks.

I've been looking at

http://www.cosaviation.org/

It's not in the sunny beaches of SoCal more like the rural inner part of Cali. But they take the GI Bill and have a pretty good plan where you get all your licenses first then you can work on getting your associates.

• 2 months later...

It doesn't just effect ERAU's veteren program. It honestly shuts the doors on any veterens considering attending ERAU at all, and especially those who are going to be looking into any type of flight training.

The new bill caps tuition and fees at $17,500 per YEAR for all non-public schools. This barely pays a semesters worth of classes at any ERAU let alone doesn't cover any flight expenses.

ERAU participates in the Yellow Ribbon Program, the school covers the costs over the 17,500. New students will not be able to get VA-funded flight training, but there are many vets still coming into the school that are taking out loans for the flight portion.

For a student that is in AZ or has their heart set on a 4-yr. degree from Riddle, I would say to apply to Yavapai, get your name on the helicopter waiting list, get your Associates degree through them, then transfer to Riddle.

I also heard that UHI (the contract flight school for Riddle) just got approved to do the same thing through Dodge City Community College, but the student would be based out of Prescott, and there would be an articulation agreement between Dodge City and ERAU, so all of your credits would transfer when you were done with flight.

• 5 months later...

Upper Limit Aviation's affiliation is with Salt Lake community College. (Satellite school) for AS Professional Pilot program for helicopter/rotorcraft part 141 schools.

www.ulaheli.com

An update to this information, ULA is expanding its training program to West Memphis, Arkansas. ULA has a new partnership with Mid South Community College, this site will offer both fixed-wing and rotor-wing flight training under Part 141.

Is Are there any programs in the SoCal/San Diego area?

My girlfriend and I are looking at a variety of places that would allow us to live together and go to school nearby.

We looked at green river in Seattle.

She is interested in schools in Jacksonville, Boston, San Diego and Chicago. I have 100% post 9/11 GI bill so I would like to find a program I can be covered 100%, It doesn't matter where to me as long as it is near one of those areas.

Is Are there any programs in the SoCal/San Diego area?

My girlfriend and I are looking at a variety of places that would allow us to live together and go to school nearby.

We looked at green river in Seattle.

She is interested in schools in Jacksonville, Boston, San Diego and Chicago. I have 100% post 9/11 GI bill so I would like to find a program I can be covered 100%, It doesn't matter where to me as long as it is near one of those areas.

Out of the four cities you listed. Florida Tech is the only one I see that is closer than any other, it is located in Melbourne, FL, about 3 hours south from Jacksonville, just on the outskirts of Orlando.

http://coa.fit.edu/