Accredited Universities that offer a Helo Program?

Ok so here is a list I compiled tonight of colleges offering helicopter based programs that are 100% covered by the GI bill (as far as I can tell)

Palm Beach Florida, (palm beach state college)

Prescott Arizona, (yavapai college)

Salt Lake City Utah, (salt lake community college)

Seattle Washington. (green river community college)

Bend Oregon (central oregon community college)

Westfield, Massachusetts (westfield state university)

Portland Oregon (Portland community college)

Duluth Michigan (Lake superior college)

Visalia California (college of the sequoias) between fresno and bakersfield

Greeley Colorado (Aims college)

Wallace State College in AL

There are probably more but that is all I can find for now. A few of them didn't look very appeasing to me (the Lake Superior program comes to mind) but check them out for yourself.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

If your training options are limited due to an inability to relocate, then it-is-what-it-is….. However, just like other types of careers, momentum is important. Therefore, pick the school that has LOTS of students with LOTS of helicopters and a fair number of full time CFI’s (or, if possible, the most of all three respectively). The less these numbers are, the less momentum you will have. Basically, it’s a numbers game. Plus, I will always lean toward an institution that subcontracts with a commercial operator who also provides flight instruction over a collage that operates a flight school internally. Moreover, the subcontracted schools tend to be busier with the addition of non-degree oriented students…..

In short, keep researching….

• Like 2

After doing quite a bit of research, I've decided to go to Wallace State for my flight training. Not an easy decision, but one that has been finally made. I decided to go to Wallace because I would graduate from there with my Instrument rating and my CFI in two years with one year left on my GI bill to pursue more ratings while I try to find a job as a CFI. I was looking at GA in Arizona, but the GI bill would not cover the cost of living in Prescott for me and my family. At least in Alabama, I have family around and the cost of living is a lot less. I don't have the necessary algebra background to get into Middle Georgia State, so that one is out. Plus it's an extra year just to get CFII. So, my mind is made up and I will be starting in the Fall Semester. Thanks to everybody and their insight to get me on the right path (mainly off the Mosquito XET pipe dream). Looking forward to getting started.

• 2 weeks later...

In France, we have only private centers to learn flying copters...about 100 000 euros for cpl/H...130 flying jours. Then turbo machine qualification..! Most of pilots are coming from Army and intégrate then civilian society.

We have only one national school for liner pilots about 30 places a year. Today there is a rather good market for ems 43 hospitals equipped (France is a small country).

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As a graduate of COCC and Leading Edge Avation I would like to say that my time at LEA was an awesome adventure. LEA now offers services in both Salt Lake City and Bend, OR.

I would only imagine that you could not do wrong in either location. I personally like Bend, OR compared to the Salt Lake City area but it is personal preferance.

LEA offers both fixed wing and Rotor wing ratings through CFII as well as advanced coarses.

On a side note, be smart in your school selection. I am not sure exactly how much of a differance it makes for first jobs but i am sure that the Safety record and name of the school you where trained at does in fact make a differance and might get a foot in the door where others may not.

For all of you future pilots out there. Good Luck and Stay safe.

• 2 years later...

That program seems really expensive and there is no guarantee of a job. Colleges and schools never think about the whole job thing but I have for 30 years because that is why you take training. Call me when you get trained and don't have a job as we have heli jobs not carrying people.

• 1 year later...

Southern Utah University in Cedar City has been in complete compliance with the VA regs for the last 3 years. You can even get your private through CFII if you have the eligibility and benefits. Ask for Robbie and he will guide you through the whole process. I started 3 weeks ago and I absolutely love it!