Which is Faster

Astazou

Gazelle (341G) will win the speed race @ published 167 Kts Vne/592Max shp + much smaller frontal cross section  - very cozy cabin - and much more streamlined airframe (less drag) than an Astar (B3 is at 155 Kts Vne/847 shp). Think of the Gazelle as a small gas guzzling street rod compared to a pickup truck if you're not familiar with size comparison. The EC120 was the follow-on design, but still doesn't have the same combo of right stuff as the 341, and remember, the technology that the Gazelle was introduced with is (more or less) what the Astar series is using.

-WATCH FOR THE WIRES-

Good question - I need to research more before I would try to respond. Speed is great, but every helo design is marketed for a specific type of mission(s). While the 341 does have the speed, the B3 has the altitude as demonstrated by the Everest landings in May. As far as the fenestron goes, I think the Astar (B2/B3) have more tail rotor effectiveness and a better "bite" due to the interaction with the main rotor downwash. Always some type of tradeoff. Hmmm, help me out if I'm wrong.

-WATCH FOR THE WIRES-

I think you are right about the authority or bite of the tail rotor on the B2/B3 vs. the gazelle. It just seemed that having the tail shrouded in the tail section (fenestron) would create less bite, but also less drag during forward flight,therefore increasing the speed.

I also wonder if maybe the main rotor head and blades on the gazelle is less suseptible to retreating blade stall, and this is the secret to the aircrafts speed.

• 7 months later...

We had 2 that I took care of for a few years when they came out. Went through the school, met the French tech reps etc.. Maybe 250 hours in riding, 10+ hour flying. The concept is an airfoil in that big vertical stab gets working well when you get over 125 and you can back off and center the pedals.

They have a torque meter so you pull in the extra HP to 100% with the pedals flat. On a smooth day they will do 164 MPH in level criuse. At 105 you are in a caddy. The early models had flat cambered finestron blades that were very pedal hungry in a hover. They later discovered that by making them an airfoil they used 1/2 or less the HP (old was 213 HP in full RH pedal) out of 592 whatever SHP avbl. Very parts hungry.

This ship was an R&D idea that birthed the Astar and EC series in teh late 70's. The French were walking and are still walking all over us in innovation. A 500 still looks like a 500 and a Jet Danger still looks the same after 30 years. By 1975 the French had 10 models out of the same factory, we nothing and they ae still going at it. What a winner the Astar is!

MROSE

The 500 though old design still takes some catching & the most fun in flying to . Hope Patriot realy get it together. they are starting to deliver new units hope spares free up to

• 5 weeks later...