Military flying

Hello,

For the past month or so i have been really interested in helicopters. My goal was to become a pilot for the military or civilian and someday fly the 747. This all changed when i learned more about helicopters and how fun they can be. I am a 10th grader in high school right now and would like some help on some things. The Army recuriters came to our school last friday and he told me that the easy way to getting into the helicopter program was to become a mechanic working on helicopters my 12th grade year. Then sign up for the Army and do WOFT. Does anyone know how i would do this for the Army? Also  what could i start doing today that would help me in the future? I am thinking of joining CAP to expeirnce what the Air Force life is kind of like. I don't want to be in the military just to get free training and fly, i also want to go in to serve for my country. Thanks and any addition information would help a lot!

He lied to you. Do NOT fall for that trick. He is trying to trick you, and secure you into one of his slots. He has a quota, and you are nothing a but a number. You can proceed to the Army Direct from high school, but it only goes out to the cream of the crop, through the High Schoo to Flight School program. Dont fall for his BS, many have in the past

It's real, don't let any recruiter sell you on that mechanic BS... they get credit for enlisted soldiers, not warrants.  Go to different recruiters until you find one willing to work with you.

It's real, don't let any recruiter sell you on that mechanic BS... they get credit for enlisted soldiers, not warrants.  Go to different recruiters until you find one willing to work with you.

I agree here. The local recruiters have been lying to some of the young ROTC and CAP kids that I work with. If your scores are high enough (Entry Exam and AFAST), take High School to Flight School and don't fall for anything else. The Army is hurting for pilots right now.

e-mail me if you need some advice.

onevisionheli@gmail.com

There is little to no chance of being selected right out of High school.

The Army is hurting for pilots. Experienced Pilots. The only way to get those is increase the numbers, but that still doesnt mean they are going to go crazy on the accessions. A very small amount will come off the street and most will be from in the ranks. Either way the selection is highly competitive. With a large amount of applicants with college degrees and current FAA ratings, I would find it highly unlikely that someone out of high school, despite the name, would have a genuine chance.

Additionally, enlisting in an Aviation related MOS won't ensure any higher level of success during your application process then any other MOS. The Army is short of 15 series enlisted too, so that might be a factor in recruiters pushing that. Serve honorably and work hard in any MOS and your achievements will speak for themself later on. If being a wrench turner doesnt interest you then don't do it. If you must enlist first then pick something that you can work with and will be happy with. That's what will matter in the long run.

With that said, I certinally wouldn't discourage anyone from trying. Whats the worst they can say? NO?

Either way continue to excell at everything you do. Civil Air Patrol is an excellent organization with great opportunities.

Good luck

KMWK, I see you are in Mt. Airy, only a hop skip and jump away from here. Do you still fly?

Hey Hawk,

Where are you? Bragg? I still fly some, not commercially, but have a friend with a 47 and I'm lookin at buying another one myself. Workin on Sport Pilot CFI and rotor CFI right now. Miss the 47 after 8 years of having 2 to fly all the time.

BTW, the local recruiters here are putting 2 a month in high school to flight school. Score high enough and I think there is a good chance. I was aviation before flight school and found it to be a huge advantage when I did my packet. Of course that was back in the day.  :laugh:  We won't go there.

Schedule a mission and fly to Mount Airy. You can take my Jeep and go to Snappy Lunch for a pork chop sandwich.  ::dancing1finger::

Take Care,

Gary

I am at Bragg.  Im into Jeeps and Flying! I might take you up on that in the very near future!

Ill schedule something out there week after next! It's always fun to get away from the local area.

Just give us a call at the FBO. E-mail me or PM me and I'll give you my number too. Look forward to meeting you.

::rotorhead::

• 3 weeks later...
I don't want to be in the military just to get free training and fly, i also want to go in to serve for my country.

High School to Flight School. Man, I wish I knew about it when I was in High School (if it existed then). If you are sold on becoming a helicopter pilot, I wish you luck with whatever route you take. The military aviation programs are very competetive. Where else will you be able to train in Bell's and GET PAID TO DO IT?!? If you choose to go the civilian route for some flight training you will realize just how great this bargain is!

On that note, I just wanted to comment on your remarks I quoted. Believe me, the military will get their money's worth out of you, and you will definitely serve your country proudly as a helicopter pilot.  ::rotorhead::