Starting a business

Bladed Sun

I've always wanted to start my own helicopter tour business. But, I'm not quite sure how to go about getting started. I have a few general ideas about location, services, employee infrastructure and what not.

I just don't know where to begin.

I'm hoping someone will give me a shove in the right direction.

Cheers   ::thanks::

I don’t own a helicopter business and I am at the very beginning of my rotor wing training, but I do own a business.

(Only my two cents, but here are a few old ones but good ones, because they work.)

1. Customers. Most important thing is CUSTOMERS. You Must have them - they are your cash flow - which is your life blood, unless you are wealthy and don’t care about pissing away money. – Also, just so you know, wealthy/successful people never fall into this category unless they inherited it or have recently experienced major brain trauma.

2. Discipline / Plans, like it takes in being an excellent pilot it also takes in being good in business. Learn to love to learn and learn to love discipline. Find out as much as you can about business by reading and taking classes (it’s not hard to learn how to operate a business, if you can learn how to operate a helicopter – the basics (and it really is just basics not rocket science) of business can be readily acquired and applied to whatever business you choose.

3. Network. If the helicopter business god really likes you – you should be able to seek out someone who owns a business like one that you want to start (in a market / area that never in a million years could be considered in competition with your startup business) and develop a relationship with the owner or general manager for information, advice, friendship, mentorship. People do business with (and talk to) their friends – make some in the type of business you want to start.

4. Go for it. Never give up. If you decide that you really, truly, want to do the business, DO IT, and don’t give up, be resourceful, keep your ears and eyes open and don’t let anyone talk you out of it and being the best you can be at it.

Carpe Diem,

-David

::2thumbsat::

• 2 weeks later...