Marine looking at Army flight program

Hello All!

I am a Marine looking into submitting an application for the Army WO program.  Here's my story-

I have currently served 8 years active duty, and just reenlisted.  I plan on getting a PPL through a civilian instructor, and need to serve at least three years on this contract to avoid paying back my reenlistment bonus (which was pretty substantial, more than I can afford to pay back).  So as soon as I'm ready to apply I'll have 11 years in and will be 29 years old.  I took a practice AFAST, and did well, before I even knew anything about helicopters.  With my current knowledge I'm confident that I could almost ace it.  I'm in pretty good physical condition, but I would have to work on my pushups (Marines do pullups for upper body strength testing).  My main concerns are the amount of time I will have already served active duty, and my age.  I don't have any NJPs/article 15s and all my fitness reports are decent to above average.

So, basically, would a 29 year old man with 11 years active duty and a PPL have a fighting chance?  Should I submit an application, or would it be a waste of my time? Or should I use my next (and last) reenlistment bonus to get my CPL/CFII?

Any responses or advice from current/former Army WOs/officers would be greatly appreciated!!

::rotorhead::

Glad to hear you're interested in the Army WO Flight Program.  The Army is looking for candidates and right now is a great time to get picked up.  Your age and time in service will not be an issue but you should look at trying to transfer a bit sooner.  Perhaps with an inter-service transfer you may be able to duck the bonus repayment; certainly something to research.  Go to this link for more info: http://usawocc.army.mil

Good Luck. ::cheers::

Great, thanks for the info!  I asked specifically about my reenlistment, and I signed a contract when I reenlisted stating that if I were to transfer out of the Marine Corps, or didn't finish at least 3 years of my contract, then I would have to pay it back, unless it was the result of a medical condition or injury.  So I'm pretty much stuck here for now.  Not that I mind too much, it's just that I've grown kind of bored with my current job and I am looking for a change, but I can tough it out for 3 years.  No big deal.  I just hope they need pilots in 3 years as bad as they do now. :)

Here's another question... God you guys must be tired of me already---

What's the best order in which to put together my package?  I've talked to several recruiters, both enlisted recruiters and WO recruiters, and have received varying degrees of helpfulness, but been advised to take a different route every time.  I started to put a package together about this time last year, and by the time March rolled around, I was almost completely done with the paperwork, and had even made an appointment at Fort Irwin to get a physical (not that I don't trust Navy docs, but the Army has different biometrics standards and I wanted to minimize the chance of my physical getting kicked back).  Once I got to that point though, I was stuck.  I asked about the PRT and AFAST, and the enlisted recruiter told me to get my recommendations first, finish my paperwork, and I would do those last, right before I transferred.  Another recruiter told me I needed to take my AFAST and then submit the results, along with my PRT results, with the rest of the package.  This was the WO recruiter, but then again, when I asked him of nearby aviation units to help with the CW3 letter of recommendation, he became evasive and eventually stopped emailing me back.  So by this point, I'm totally lost.  What do I do?  Get my paperwork and then take the AFAST at MEPS?  Or do everything and submit it all at once?  Gov't red tape strikes again!!

For the AFAST, you can either contact HQMC and have them help you set it up, or contact the closest Army base's education office and set up a time to take it with them.

I'm a Marine and am submitting for the Army WO program too. I set up the AFAST test on my own (no recruiters or HQMC). I had to contact HQMC about another part of my package and they got a little upset that I didn't go through them for the AFAST test. But, I wasn't too concerned since it is MY future, not theirs. There is no guidebook for interservice transfers from the USMC to the Army's WO program (though the checklist on the USAREC website helps a lot), so if you use some initiative to get things done you might be better off than getting advice from people who are more worried about filling their quotas. ;)

On that note, if there is anything you need help with, let me know! I'm waiting on the interservice transfer acceptance from HQMC and my flight physical, then my package will be ready!

As for the recommendations, I wish you the best of luck! I ran into a helluva lot of 'red tape' trying to get LOR's (military pilots don't like to vouch for people unless they know you, and it took my chain of command 6 weeks to route my interservice transfer paperwork through the battalion), and since they are optional decided to focus my energy on more important matters!

Oh, I haven't done the PRT yet either. I am saving that for the very last thing. All you need is an Army E-7 or above to monitor it for you, then have them fill out the paperwork and sign it for you. Surely a local Army recruiter would be able to at least do that much for you.

• 1 year later...

You will need the AFAST completed and make sure you test as high as possible. You will need a letter from those in your chain of command, the higher the better. The letters need to tell of your great service and achievements. I would recommend you get a couple of letters from some Warrant officers you may know, they really help a lot. The selection board in made up of Warrant Officers. I use to be on the board!! I had a couple of Marines in my flight class. Hal

• 2 weeks later...
Hello All!

I am a Marine looking into submitting an application for the Army WO program.  Here's my story-

I have currently served 8 years active duty, and just reenlisted.  I plan on getting a PPL through a civilian instructor, and need to serve at least three years on this contract to avoid paying back my reenlistment bonus (which was pretty substantial, more than I can afford to pay back).  So as soon as I'm ready to apply I'll have 11 years in and will be 29 years old.  I took a practice AFAST, and did well, before I even knew anything about helicopters.  With my current knowledge I'm confident that I could almost ace it.  I'm in pretty good physical condition, but I would have to work on my pushups (Marines do pullups for upper body strength testing).  My main concerns are the amount of time I will have already served active duty, and my age.  I don't have any NJPs/article 15s and all my fitness reports are decent to above average.

So, basically, would a 29 year old man with 11 years active duty and a PPL have a fighting chance?  Should I submit an application, or would it be a waste of my time? Or should I use my next (and last) reenlistment bonus to get my CPL/CFII?

Any responses or advice from current/former Army WOs/officers would be greatly appreciated!!

::rotorhead::

Well, Semper Fidelis....

Just went through the same process you are looking into back in NOV and OCt...by far the easites thing I have done in the Military. I was in the USMC for 13.5 years, made it to SSgt...all I had to do was improve my ASVAB, take and pass the AFAST, go through the state board... join the guard..then go through the Federal Board...now I am WOC Scott, awaiting WOC School, and Flight School...PM me if you've any questions! Good luck!

• 2 months later...

First off, good luck to all of you.

I am a WO1 at Rucker right now, and I know several of my buddies have come over from the Corps. I honestly don't recall them actually getting LOR's from Aviators. I'm pretty sure that, because you are in the spot that you are, LOR's from your commanders will work. Again, I'm not positive, but pretty sure. Hell, I've been in the Army since I enlisted, and even I had a hard time finding an AV Officer that would help me out. Have any more questions, just repost or PM me

CHAD

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a long time since I poked around in here, but thanks to the recent posts for the advice. I've gone from considering applying to being almost ready to submit my package. I'm quickly approaching my submission deadline. All of my paperwork is done except for my AFAST (scheduled for 3 Apr) and my flight physical, which as at Ft Rucker as I'm typing this. My conditional release was approved, which, because of the fact that I'm stationed overseas, was a surprise to everyone in my battalion chain of command. And after speaking to a WO recruiter I was informed that a rec letter from a CW3 or higher in my MOS will work, due to the fact that the nearest Aviation post is in Germany.

A lot of things have changed- I'm no longer worried about taking the PT test;although I'm still borderline on my pushups, I can consistently pass, so that's good. I transferred to England instead of Texas so that's making the process a little more painful than the process normally is. I've taken a couple of practice tests and devoured every bit of information I can find about helicopters. I have high hopes- I think I have a fighting chance at this.

If I get in, I hope to see you guys soon. I need to have my package submitted by 1 June to get transferred before my release expires, so I should know in September if I got selected. Keep checking in and I'll keep y'all posted.

:D

• 1 month later...

Hey all.

Took my AFAST and got a 135. Didn't exactly nail it like I had hoped, but still not horrible. I have my final physical appointment next week, and after that my package is done. Unfortunately there's no June board, because I may have made it in on that one. Oh well.

Thanks for all your help- I should know in September if I got selected or not. I'll keep y'all posted.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey all.

Took my AFAST and got a 135. Didn't exactly nail it like I had hoped, but still not horrible. I have my final physical appointment next week, and after that my package is done. Unfortunately there's no June board, because I may have made it in on that one. Oh well.

Thanks for all your help- I should know in September if I got selected or not. I'll keep y'all posted.

You've demonstrated a lot of desire, determination, and committment. I think you'll make a fine Army WO and aviator.

• 2 months later...

YEAH!!!! Apparently I was competitve, because I just found out a few minutes ago that I was selected by the Jul board. Now to make the transition from Marine to Soldier. They'll be putting the official announcement out soon, but it looks like I should be in training by the end of January. Thanks all for helping me out with everything!

SSgt WOC Stevenson

YEAH!!!! Apparently I was competitve, because I just found out a few minutes ago that I was selected by the Jul board. Now to make the transition from Marine to Soldier. They'll be putting the official announcement out soon, but it looks like I should be in training by the end of January. Thanks all for helping me out with everything!

SSgt WOC Stevenson

Congratulations! I'm working on putting my packet in as well. That's great news!

helonewbie,

Congratulations on your selection! I am sure the 135 on your AFAST helped immensely. That is outstanding! Way to go, Marine!

As for me, I did get my inter-service transfer approved by HQMC, but I decided to hold out until after my EAS, which is this November. In retrospect, I think I made the right decision. I just got back from a tour in Iraq in Feb, and am now TAD in Mongolia...a couple of experiences that I believe will help me with whatever I pursue.

I did ponder what to do after the Corps before ultimately deciding on the Army WO Helicopter Pilot Program. I will be 30 in December, with 11 years AD service in the Corps and 28 hours in the R-22 (I want my PPL, dammit!), and am physically fit (286 on my last PFT, and I do 50-60 push-ups daily to make sure I have a smooth transition). If I am going to do this, the next few months will be the perfect time!

It is good to hear that a fellow Marine in almost similar circumstances got selected. Thank you for posting the good news. It definitely changed my mindset from "how" and "what if" towards "when I get selected..."!

See you in the sky, my friend!

Congrats Devil Dog!!

I am glad you have made it throught the process! This past week, I just found out that I will FINALLY be going to WOFT in June of 08 :blink: Well...better late than never, and I am glad that I finally have a date that I can look forward to. I spent 13.5 years in the USMCR before I decided to make the transition. If I may ask, did you go Active Duty or Natl Guard or Reserve. If so, what State?

Semper Fidelis

• 7 months later...

Hey everyone,

I'm in the same boat. Former Marine in the Air National Guard now (TACP). Will be switching over to the NY Guard blackhawk unit in Long Island. What is the best prep book for the AFAST? I hope to get a response, last one was more than 6 months ago.

Will

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...