Medical certificate question

I am planning on starting my flight training around the beginning of the upcoming year. I was wondering what medical certificate I would need to get first. I know you need a 3rd class medical to get your private license, and a 2nd class medical to get your commercial. My situation is that I used to have an asthma problem, so to go ahead and take care of any issues that may potentially arise I plan on getting my physical done at the end of this year. I'll just get my physical done and drop my flight application off that same day at the school.

Should I go ahead and get a 3rd class medical at that time, and then get a 2nd before I start my commercial training? Or should I get a 2nd class medical? I heard somewhere that a 2nd class turns into a 3rd class after the 1 year mark passes, but I do not know enough about this to make my own judgement call.

I have heard stories of people with a medical condition that delayed their certificates, so I just want to give everything sufficient time so that everything goes as planned. (or as close to as planned, as we all know things change) I haven't had problems with my asthma, but I'm required to fill out any medical issues. I'm not too worried about it since I haven't had any problems with my asthma in years, but I just don't quite know how this works.

Thanks for the help and have a good Veteran's Day,

- Robert

I doubt it will be a problem......but, just to be on the safe side, talk to the flight school and find out who they use.  You want to go to a AME who issues a LOT of medicals and knows the system.  Find out who the airline pilots go to and go to a "Senior Medical Examiner" if possible (that status is listed on the FAA's website.)

Just go ahead and get a second class.  It will cost you an extra $5-10.  You DO NOT need to hold a 2nd class medical certificate to test for your commercial, just to exercise the privs of the commercial certificate (compensation flights).  A second class stays a second class, but you can only exercise the privs of it for 12 months.  After 12 months you can only exercise it as if it was a 3rd class medical (private flights).  It's good for another 24 months if you took the medical exam before your 40th B-day; or 12 months if you took the exam after your 40th b-day.

Many insurance policies, pilot financing companies, etc require a 2nd class medical, so just go ahead and get it.

Go get your medical now, don't wait until you have applied. Before you go, get a letter from your primary physician about your asthma. Have him describe the severity, any hospitalizations, medications and their side effects, and include any tests ever performed. This will help the AME to understand your asthma and increase the chances that he will issue the certificate. If he doesn't issue it he will defer it to CAMI.

If it gets deferred call them at least once a week. If they see you are calling a lot it will help get your medical through faster. If it comes to that I can get you the number.

According to the AME I see (senior AME), CAMI won't deny your medical for asthma if it is controlled. They just want as much info as they can get.

If you have questions please PM me, I had my medical deferred for 4 months because of asthma. I will help in any way I can.

I'll give the school a call soon, but from the listing of AME's in San Antonio... I think I've narrowed it to these 2 AME's (because they both have commercial instrument ratings and are first class AME's according to the FAA website)

http://ame.cami.jccbi.gov/details.asp?ameno=10856

http://ame.cami.jccbi.gov/details.asp?ameno=02384

Any ideas on how to further narrow it down, or just start making calls soon?