Two helicopters collided at the Homestead-Miami Sp

John90290

Thoughts and prayers....

Pilot Killed in Homestead Helicopter Crash

The Associated Press

Sunday, November 20, 2005; 11:39 PM

HOMESTEAD, Fla. -- Two helicopters collided at the Homestead-Miami Speedway after the NASCAR championship Sunday, killing one pilot, authorities said.

One helicopter was taking off from the speedway's helipad shortly before 9 p.m. while another was attempting to land, said Miami-Dade Fire-Rescue Battalion Chief Richard Martin.

One of two helicopters involved in a crash at the Homestead Speedway rests on its side Sunday, Nov. 20, 2005 in Homestead, Fla.. The pilot of one of the helicopters was airlifted to a nearby hospital. (AP Photo/Luis Alvarez) (Luis Alvarez - AP)  

"They had either a mid-air collision or a near-midair collision. One of them did a hard landing right on the helipad. No one on that craft was injured," Martin said.

The other pilot died after being airlifted to a Miami hospital, a spokeswoman for the Miami-Dade Police Department said. The pilot's identification was being withheld pending family notification.

Todd Shook, 46, of Sarasota, said he saw the blades of one helicopter clip the body of the second helicopter as he was walking to his RV parked outside the speedway.

One helicopter landed lopsided on the speedway's helipad, and the other crashed into an RV parked nearby, he said.

"It just hit real hard, and then I saw the windshield all broken out," Shook said.

It was not immediately clear if the RV was occupied at the time of the crash.

:(

i remember meeting the pilot whos life was lost in this incident. i was introduced to him through the owner of the school i went to after we ferried a 206 into the airport he worked out of.  everyone that knew him said he was a genuine type of guy..the type who would do anything to help you out. i also recall when i finished my cfi i spoke with him about a spot where he used to work. a great guy and husband that will be dearly missed. fly safe