U.K citizen training in U.S/Canada...

dj1991

You could always consider a Treaty Investor Visa. The investment can be as little as $200K. You have to have a viable business idea/plan but I see no reason why you would have to return home with no money. If those Brits you heard of burnt all their money in less than a year, there must have been something very, very wrong!

For the J1, you must go to an approved flight training school. The one in Florida that gets the best press is Helicopters Adventures Inc http://www.heli.com

You cannot just choose any school you like. There are only 3-4 in the US offering the J1 at this time. It has also been rumoured that these may stop in the time to come.

What do you mean by failure rates?

Edited by i4iq

Hello. If you are looking to come to Canada or the US I would highly recommend Chinook Helicopters near Vancouver, Canada. At the same place you can get a Canadian and FAA commercial license for way cheaper than doing it seperately. They have fully furnished accommodations within walking distance of the school for about $400-500 per month where the students stay. I received both licenses there myself and they are a top notch school. When I was there, there were a couple guys from the UK doing their Canadian licence and they were very happy as well. If you go to their website www.chinookhelicopters.com, in the links page you can find out about getting a training visa (it's very easy). One of the UK guys got a work visa right after and is currently working. Feel free to write back if you have any more questions!

Hi there,

Thanks for your replies... yes the Treaty Investor is the E2 (by what I understand....) anyway after looking into this for over a year and hearing some nightmare stories we are exploring this route. We have already bought a house near Tampa and looked at schools there.... I guess after so many trips back and forth and having made friends we feel our comfort blanket, for the moment, to be in that area.

Failure rates... I was wondering how challenging the courses are... Its all very well being accepted onto a course (as they are expensive) but does anyone 'fail' the course..?? This distant relative I have is non-contactable.. mores the pity (family!!:(().

Most grateful for any advice. The school mentioned in Titusville is currently top of our list.

Regards

Jx