Possible New R22 Rival Trainer coming soon?

mechanic

It doesn't even look like I'll be able to fit into that little cockpit, I fit snuggly into a double-deuce as is :blink:

Rookie...If I can fit into the 22 anyone can !- 6-5 and 238, and yes, thats me flying solo in the R22 photo..just to prove I can fit !

Goldy

Guest rookie101
Rookie...If I can fit into the 22 anyone can !- 6-5 and 238, and yes, thats me flying solo in the R22 photo..just to prove I can fit !

Goldy

I didn't say I couldn't fit in the 22, I do- in a snug way. I just don't think I, and you for that matter, can fit in that little Cabri cockpit. (Me= 6' 2", 170 lbs. so I can't complain as much as Goldy :D)

I didn't say I couldn't fit in the 22, I do- in a snug way. I just don't think I, and you for that matter, can fit in that little Cabri cockpit. (Me= 6' 2", 170 lbs. so I can't complain as much as Goldy :D)

Rookie- you pay for half the rental and we'll go fly around in one and see if we both fit !

I'll bet with the 3 blade rotor system, lightweight frame AND a 0-360 engine, it could probably lift 450-500 lbs in the cockpit plus fuel. I like the manueverability in the video....you wont see me in a R22 doing that stuff !

I have a subscription to Trade A Plane and watch Barnstormers as well as Controller. I see R22's new from $188-225K, 300 CBI's from $270-320K. So, I don't think the Cabri would be over priced at around $300K, esp if the rotorhead is a safe as it looks on the video. I am thinking the rotorhead is an elastomeric type??? It might also be the reason Mr. Robinson has lost interest in the R22 as well as other known limits of the 22. The Cabri looks to have Great potential! But, time will tell the story...

Blue Skies

There is nothing wrong with the teeter bar cyc. It is a little wierd, but other than that I've had NO problems with it. When I fly my friend's Alouette II I am a little wierded out; the cyc doesn't move when he takes it. How bizarre, straight sticks! Hmph!

• 1 month later...

Here is the AK1-3 Ptarmigan. Arrives in the USA May 2007. Will plan to have a US powerplant in a year.

www.ptarmigan-heli.com

This is a true professional built helicopter. Titanium fittings, carbon fiber cabin, glass blades, heavy gearboxes, not a Mattel part in it. This will set a new standard in 2 place with a 4 place on the way. This ship will maintain a turn @ 45 deg, climb@1750 ft/min and handles turbulance perfectly. Roomy cabin, utility capable. Autos nice.

MROSE

This is Russian, no? Thanks to Madeline Albright, if it meets Russian criteria? automatically type certificated in US. Guy here has 3 low wing Russian seaplanes, built like a tank. Parts availability?-doesnt exist, wait months for parts,,,,,

this bird will remain experimental due to the powerplant, the FAA will not certify it. it's a modified SAAB automotive engine.

Maybe ole Madeline only reciprocated w/ the Russians on part 23 & forgot about 27? I sure hope so, as the airplanes are bad enough w/ out it carrying over to helicopters too ! :o

You should check out the Smartcopter website @

www.smartcopter.aero or www.smartcopter.com

It is a small 2 seater with a 190SHP turbine, fully articulated rotor system a fenstron and it has a cruise speed of around 120Kts.

I think it looks a little like a tiny EC120 (combined with the EXEC 162F)

2rst1

mrose,

Will this heli be in kit form or will the factory assemble it?

Regards

Hi Mechanic, ( I am an A&P also)

The catagory must be experimental Kit to get the most operational legal use. But you can build hours in it, use it on your own property in any function you want. Mine will have a hook and ski's all factory engineered and approved.

Lot's of comments on the Subaru from the forum. In researching this I found out that it is the engine of choice for gyrocopters world-wide (hundreds) and is installed in over 1000 fixed wing in the US/Canada. I spoke with the #1 Subaru dealer in the US service mgr and he said he has never seen one fail in a car. Overheat from a water leak, out of oil etc..ofcourse but no thrown belts rods, dropped valves or fails. Amazing when they have a million driving around! FAA informed me the 2.5 was originally made for aircraft by Subaru after WWII, didn't sell many so they put 4 wheels on it. The car racers get 400 HP out of it for a few hours. The 165 is a rating based on +25C not +15 as US engines are rated.

Has a great torgue curve in the low RPM, I like that.

I agree the jury is still out - it's a helicopter. Most of my heli riding is in Turbomeca, but if I monitor the 2.5 and use it by the book I don't expect any issues. At least I won't get killed from forgeting the carb heat or mixture as many people have.

MROSE www.ptarmigan-heli.com

...if I monitor the 2.5 and use it by the book I don't expect any issues. At least I won't get killed from forgeting the carb heat or mixture as many people have.
My only concern any time an engine is converted from auto, motorcycle, or snowmobile use is that the engine was not designed to run at high power/high RPM for most of its life.

"By the book" for a small-car engine is high power around 11% of the time, full power less than 7%, most time spent delivering between 10 - 50 HP at 1800 - 3500 RPM.

If only Lycoming made a liquid-cooled, fuel-injected, solid-state ignition 320...

My only concern any time an engine is converted from auto, motorcycle, or snowmobile use is that the engine was not designed to run at high power/high RPM for most of its life.

"By the book" for a small-car engine is high power around 11% of the time, full power less than 7%, most time spent delivering between 10 - 50 HP at 1800 - 3500 RPM.

If only Lycoming made a liquid-cooled, fuel-injected, solid-state ignition 320...

All the Subaru powered gyro's and F/W (about 2000 min.) don't fall into automobile catagory. The 2.5 motor was originally designed for aircraft the FAA tells me. It is capable of sustianing 400HP and maintaining 300 in all day races. The 320 is a good motor but that didn't help the people killed in carb ice related failures.

So my point is with some extra care in metal detection and proper service it looks to be a good bet, but time will tell. I can install a new dymo'ed, test celled engine every 500 hours for the price of 1 new 320 cyl! I also know of a new turboprop 30 pass+ FADEC everything motor that is failing without warning (very inside info so don't ask). I am working toward a new US motor for the future, but am not sure that will make me feel safer flying around with FAA cert. sticker proto #3 motor behind me. Remember the 101! Thanks for your concern for safe engines, all the best MROSE

• 2 months later...

Hey,

I have been doing some more snooping and ran across these links. The pics are great, close ups on the ground…. The pprune thread said the Cabri is supposed to start production in 06'?

Pics

Good read on PPRUNE

more pics

• 2 weeks later...

Ptarmigan update;

On the Ptarmigan AK1-3 (www.ptarmigan-heli.com) we have signed an agreement with Thielert to commence an OEM installation of the FAA certified 1.7 multifuel turbodeisel in the AK1-3 next year, pending preliminary engineering. This engine is now a factory option on the C-172, circa 2007.

Fuel burn will go from 10GPH to 6, 135HP flat performance curve to 8000 ft+. If this works out we should have a nice ship on our hands ready to let the FAA take a hard look at in 18 months (we will pound it hard for a year first).

Regards to all-

MROSE