Possible New R22 Rival Trainer coming soon?

mechanic

I like the SHIP-SHAPE display unit, very cool looking and not what you would expect in a small 2 seater, but makes perfect sense when trying to save weight. The specs look really cool too, will the diesel engine run on Jet-A found at most airports, or will it have to run on automotive diesel?

I like the SHIP-SHAPE display unit, very cool looking and not what you would expect in a small 2 seater, but makes perfect sense when trying to save weight. The specs look really cool too, will the diesel engine run on Jet-A found at most airports, or will it have to run on automotive diesel?

Thank you, The AK1 will be a test platform for Shipshape. Bigger ships next. We are testing micro wireless nodes to be installed on the blade sleves, (2 axis xtal sensors) and a mix wireless/wired sensors for TRGB, hangers, engine fore and aft, MGB input and out. We will also have a capture software running on WiFi - as the ship comes in all data is copied to a local PC or laptop wireless. On the trainers there will be no more of this overspeed/overtemp stuff and handing to the next guy. We can add those checklists that students now fumble around with. You will have a nice voice letting you know where that odd vib is coming from or temp out of range when your head is outside.

On the Theilert deisel, they are multifuel, Jet A, D1 or D2. We hope the deisel will give good balance. Those are conservative climb specs on www.ptarmigan-heli.com for the 2.5SI.

Merry Christmas!

mrose

Sounds like some good stuff coming down the pipeline on this new trainer. Though I have to say that the computer system sounds awesome, but what happens when the screen goes down..... no redundant display available to get your information and 6th sense will kick into high gear. But I would suspect this system will get shaked down pretty good before its put out to the general public.

As a side note, its nice to see other aircraft being introduced for training other than the 300's and especially the R-22. I am partial to the 300 personally, but with some of the smaller turbines and new trainers coming out in the next year or so, it will raise the bar for the industry hopefully both in cost and functionality.

Sounds like some good stuff coming down the pipeline on this new trainer. Though I have to say that the computer system sounds awesome, but what happens when the screen goes down..... no redundant display available to get your information and 6th sense will kick into high gear. But I would suspect this system will get shaked down pretty good before its put out to the general public.

As a side note, its nice to see other aircraft being introduced for training other than the 300's and especially the R-22. I am partial to the 300 personally, but with some of the smaller turbines and new trainers coming out in the next year or so, it will raise the bar for the industry hopefully both in cost and functionality.

I agree that the glass unit should be an "aid" not as a replacement. There is room for both on the AK1. It is a CAA 27 built machine, standard certification in Ukraine. Home of the Kamov and Antonov - parts, designs, testing facilities and engineers come from both outfits, I met them. She has a true independent MR RPM gen (not DC power dependent), dual fuel system and pumps, bar graph tacks and warning lamps comparable to the best turbines.

I am with you on the 300 as a trianer, the AK1 has similar auto capabilities, and is way faster/climber. I had the two of them within 200 ft as a near side by side, it was like comparing a Model T to a new Camry.

Kind regards,

Mark

• 6 months later...

Interesting thing about the blades going the "wrong way" and wondering about making one in the States with blades going the "right way".

I saw a thing on TV some years ago about pilots flying different helicopters with rotors turning in different directions from what they are used to flying.

Turns out that the pilots tested put in the correct pedal inputs that coincide with power inputs no matter which direction the head turns.

Then again, see my user name to get my opinion about tail rotors :P

• 5 months later...

Uh oh, one step closer to being able to be FAA certified!

Cabri G2 link

EASA Certifies a Piston Engine Helicopter

Alain Leroy, head of Product Department, gave the type-certificate to Hélicoptères Guimbal for the Cabri G2 and the associated Design Organisation Approval (DOA). The Cabri G2 is the first Part-27 piston engine helicopter certified in Europe in decades. In order to meet EASA's demanding certification requirements, Hélicoptères Guimbal performed 300 flight test hours and many ground tests, during a period of two-and-a-half years. At the same time, a comprehensive assessment of the organization has been done, allowing the issue of a DOA, which is required for this kind of type-certification.

The Cabri G2 is a new two-seat piston engine helicopter which features many safety-oriented innovations such as a high-manoeuvrability composite main rotor, a shrouded tail rotor, a crashworthy structure, seats and fuel system, protection against lightning and radio-frequencies and a digital multiple display.

The EASA type certificate is valid throughout the European Union, as well as in Switzerland, Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein, where the Cabri G2 can now be legally registered and operated.

Uh oh, one step closer to being able to be FAA certified!

Cabri G2 link

Cool little helicopter. Of course, I'm partial to anything with a fenestron. I saw in one of the older posts in this thread, that someone was questioning the T/A of the fenestron. It has as much tail rotor authority as a standard tail rotor. An interesting tidbit about fenestron equipped helicopters; if you encounter settling with power, you will maintain full tail rotor authority. You won't get a "mushy" feeling or sluggish response on the pedals like you might from a conventional tail rotor.

I hope we start seeing these around.

Certification means very little. There are hundreds of aircraft and products that have received certification, however the company never had the finances to go through the process to obtain a production certificate. That is the real expensive part of the process.

Certification means very little. There are hundreds of aircraft and products that have received certification, however the company never had the finances to go through the process to obtain a production certificate. That is the real expensive part of the process.
Interesting. Do you have any more info about this, or a link to a page describing the process for each, or difference between the two?

Thanks.

Interesting. Do you have any more info about this, or a link to a page describing the process for each, or difference between the two?

Thanks.

Darwin,

Here are some links for your reading pleasure.

Production Approval Regulations & Policies

http://www.faa.gov/aircraft/air_cert/produ...d_cert/pc_regs/

FAA and Industry Guide to Product Certification

http://www.faa.gov/aircraft/air_cert/desig...PI_guide_II.pdf

• 1 month later...

Hello,

Take a look on this video, it's a flight test made by the British magazine Loop :

http://www.loop.aero/tv/cabri

During this flight, they did negative G manoeuvers....

You cn find a lot of informations and picture (more than 120) on the dedicated facebook page :

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=16467685577

The first custumers, IXAIR, based in Paris, will receive the first CAbri G2 in march.

This helicopter will receive his FAA certification in 2009.

Best Regards

Pierre

Excuse me? 250K EURO ? Isnt that a TON of bucks for a two seater?

I agree with Mechanic :

"I have a subscription to Trade A Plane and watch Barnstormers as well as Controller. I see R22's new from $188-225K, 300 CBI's from $270-320K. So, I don't think the Cabri would be over priced at around $300K, esp if the rotorhead is a safe as it looks on the video. I am thinking the rotorhead is an elastomeric type??? It might also be the reason Mr. Robinson has lost interest in the R22 as well as other known limits of the 22. The Cabri looks to have Great potential! But, time will tell the story..."

If you compare the Cabri with the R22, it's the same to compare the EC120B vs the Bell 206...

New technologies, safety vs old design...

Pierre

Excuse me? 250K EURO ? Isnt that a TON of bucks for a two seater?

You can't really blame them for the weak dollar... 2 years ago, 250k Euro would've been less than USD 300K

I hope they'll be succesful in the US anyways. Seems to be a great machine that has the potential to stir up the trainer market quite a bit.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...