Height & Weight

Wondered how people would mind sharing their height and weight?! :wacko:

I've noticed on many resumes posted on helicopter forums that pilots list them and it's making me aware that I'll need to get off some excess baggage before training - which has cost me a lot to produce btw! Can't do much about the height though.

I'll kick off with 6' 3" and 230lbs. Target is <200. Hopefully, I wont be too discriminated against when looking for a CFII position or other work...

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i4iq,

Helicopters are quite weight sensitive. Maximum seat loads, passenger loads, baggage loads, fuel loads, etc..etc..

Of course, in the commercial world, more pilot weight means less payload available. The beancounters generally don't like this. However the good news is, this is often offset by the fact that in the commercial world, the aircraft are usually bigger, and so an extra 30-40 lbs of pilot weight is negligable. So I would not worry too much about 'the long run'. I have seen many pilots 200lbs+, who all seem to be enjoying a good career.

In the short run, there is a real issue, in that the R22 (most widely used trainer) has a maximum gross weight of 1370 lbs. That's not a lot. By the time you have taken the weight of the helicopter and the fuel, it doesn't leave much for passengers and bags! About 400lbs if you want a meaningful flight. So a small school might not be so keen to take someone of 230 lbs on as their only instructor. A larger school however (even if only flying R22s) still might, as they would just give the big instructor all the small students and give the small instructor all the big students! And there are plenty of schools which use alternative training helicopters. Also, at 6'3", your knees will be up by your ears! I you might decide that you don't enjoy the R22 anyway! Note: 230ish doesn't preclude you from flying that machine...just cuts out some potential 'large' students.

So the point is, don't be too overly worried about it (from an employment point of view). More importantly, is be healthy enough to keep your medical right up until the end. If that means losing weight and lifestyle changes (which it usually does) then great.

Joker

P.S. I am 180lbs and 5'9"....down from 195 a year ago!

I'm 6-1 and 220 down from 235 and training in a Sweitzer 300 which isn't as weight sensative. Also doesn't cost near as much as the R44 per hour since a 22 doesn't work to well with our weight. Only problem is getting a CFI job. Not as many 300's around. Good luck on dropping the weight. I'm trying to get down below 200 also.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm 6-1 and 220 down from 235 and training in a Sweitzer 300 which isn't as weight sensative. Also doesn't cost near as much as the R44 per hour since a 22 doesn't work to well with our weight. Only problem is getting a CFI job. Not as many 300's around. Good luck on dropping the weight. I'm trying to get down below 200 also.

Down 11lbs so far - only another 29 to go!!

• 2 weeks later...

Not quite 6'2" and hovering around 220. With a 180lb instructor aboard the '22, I can carry about 15 gallons of fuel and still be within the CG envelope. Warm days are a little tricky, but for the most part it's ok. Funny, but when I started this whole helo thing, I got down to 206.. Holidays I guess.. heehhe

Well, at 5'3", I guess I must ask: Is there a height MINIMUM? I am considering a career change and was able to fly in a helicopter recently. I fell in love instantly. Now that I'm reading about all of the requirements and medical licenses, I'm wondering how to get started!

Edited by ladylovesblades

Well, at 5'3", I guess I must ask: Is there a height MINIMUM? I am considering a career change and was able to fly in a helicopter recently. I fell in love instantly. Now that I'm reading about all of the requirements and medical licenses, I'm wondering how to get started!

Bring your checkbook to a local school and take an intro flight. I don't think your height will be a big issue, but there is a minimum seat weight. Not a huge deal as a few women where I fly have to toss in about 40 lbs of ballast when they fly solo. I'd say go for it and don't look back.

** edited to remove the duplicate reply **

Edited by skiddz

You can just put a cushion behind you to bring you up to the pedals. The only problem is that it might put you too close to the cyclic and make it very uncomfortable to fly. I had one student that had that problem. In that case, you should try to find a helicopter that had moveable pedals (or use some sort of platform shoes.)

I started training when I was 13....I don't remember how tall I was, but I'm sure I was under 5ft tall at the time. I was training in the R22, and I didn't have any problems with a 3-4" cushion behind me. It was more of a problem in airplanes because I needed several cushions to get me high enough to see over the instrument panel.

You shouldn't have a problem, but go check it out for yourself. Take a few different pillows or back support cushions to try out.

I am 5' 3" and have had no problems flying the 300C, I can reach the adjustable pedals fine. I did try a cushion when I first started but didn't like it as I felt like I had to lean to the left to bottom out the collective.

I place a folding knee board on my right thigh so that I can rest my arm while holding the cyclic grip.

I also have flown an enstrom in which the pedals were also adjustable.