HAI in Concord CA

Hello,

I've been researching a number of flight schools on the West Coast, much of the information has come from these board. I recently took an intro flight with Precision in Oregon and was very impressed with them. I am considering HAI in Concord, CA. Is there anyone here that has gone through their professional pilot program? I am looking at attending full time with my goal of finishing to CFII in a year. How is their scheduling like as far as flight time goes? What are job opportunities like for someone coming out of their program?

I plan to talk with them here shortly but also wanted to get some feedback from former and current students/employees.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

ICQA:

I am also looking at HAI in Concord as well. I have been in contact with there Florida brand and discussed a few things. I only live about an hour or so from Concord in Napa, so moving away right now to school would not have to happen hopefully if I chose HAI-Concord. I like the idea that they have both 300 and R22 for training.

The only thing that concerns me is that there only a 61 school, but that always isn't a bad thing depending on what your looking for. Please let me know what you if you find out anything. Are there any other schools that you have looked at other than Precision in Oregon? I have considered going down to Mazzei in Fresno to check them out and get a feeling for there school. Prices seem comparable from what I see.

I need to get off my ass now that the holidays are over and get on with my schooling. I am also looking at going from Private to CFII, and am working out the financial details right now. What part of the world are yo from? Good luck, Roger

Hi brushfire,

I actually live south of you in San Jose so Concord wouldn't be much of a stretch for me and my family. I have researched Mazzei but pretty much decided against that since it was in Fresno and my wife doesn't like that area. I looked in Silver State in Sac and High Sierra in Placerville. Given all the feedback I've seen about SSH as well as my own brief experience, took two weeks before I received a call back from them I've ruled them out. High Sierra appears to be a good school but living near there wouldn't be feasible for us.

Precision and HAI are at the top of my list for different reasons and I pretty much have decided to go with either one. Precision is out in the rural area about 45 miles SW of Portland also not much congestion.

Once I've had a chance to meet with HAI I hope to finalize my selection. I like that both fly 300s.

ICQA:

Sounds like we have come up with some similar results. Have you had a chance to meet with the guys at HAI in Concord? I see thay have several classes starting up that run in the A.M. hours M-F for 6-weeks. Is this just the ground school, and then move into air time after the ground school, or are they both done concurrently? Thanks for any help. WOrk has been real busy becuase of the holidays and the flooding last week, and haven't been able to make any calls. I am trying to finish my A.S. degree this semester in Fire Science, and once done committing to a school late spring hopefully. Take care, Roger

I've flown with HAI. They are one of the best. Part 61 or 91, it doesn't matter, as long as you have the rating. I had no problem with schedualing, but I didn't care for the flight restrictions (noise abatement), but it is real flying conditions. They have a top notch maitenance facility, and Chuck is a very knowledgable CFI himself, who likes to check on the students, with good advice. Having them on your resume would be a good advantage for a CFI job. I live a little over an hour away too, but my job pays better then helicopter pilots make, and I can't make a commitment for the time, as I have to travel, so I decided to stick with it. As far as "Nice Air", in San Jose, I know a guy that attended there a few years back, but I don't remember what he had to say about them, except there we're no helicopter opperations allowed there, so you had to fly to South County, that can add up. Good luck with your training. :)

As far as "Nice Air", in San Jose, I know a guy that attended there a few years back, but I don't remember what he had to say about them, except there we're no helicopter opperations allowed there, so you had to fly to South County, that can add up. Good luck with your training. :)

I did the last part of my private at Nice Air in 2001, and am currently finishing my commercial ticket there. There are no unusual restrictions on helicopter operations at RHV that I'm aware of. You can do straight in/180 autos, slopes, and normal pattern/ground reference stuff right on the field. Pinnacles/Confined Area work does require going off-field, as at most other airports. They have two 300CBs and two helo instructors.

---

I didn't see anyone mention Golden Gate Helicopters in San Carlos. They used to be part of Diamond Aviation, but are now a separate entity. They fly R22s and a very nice instrument-equipped R44. I did my last SFAR73 re-upment with an excellent CFI (Robert) there. I highly recommend him - he knows and flies the Robinsons very well and could practically write a thesis on the preflight stuff to look out for.

Dave Blevins

• 2 months later...

Between 2001 & 2003 I was going to HAI part time (once a week). I've acquired 45+ hours in thier 300CB's, and they had 2 at the time (plus a single R22), had no major problems getting scheduled (as long as I planned a few weeks in advance). Weather was the major factor for missed flying at the time. Had an awesome instructor, last time I checked he was flying tours at Maverick in Las Vegas. I'm almost thinking it was having to change to a completely different instructor that attributed to me losing focus.

However I've recently made the decision to make a career change. So I'm on the lookout for the best quality training I can find (bar none, anywhere in the US), however I have to weight the likelyhood of finding a CFII job after I get my ratings.

At HAI: Chuck (Chief Pilot) is great, Larry (Administrator) is a hoot. Summer BBQ's are fun, all financials go through HQ in Florida. I believe there is a testing center on site. Some training ops were done on field at CCR. Most Straight-and-Level took us north, mostly Napa.

Good bunch, I just know I can't afford the SF Bay Area cost-of-living if I'm on a student loan! And given my current career (which saps the brain), I have to do it full-time to get it done (which means student loan).

Any more questions about HAI in Concord, just PM me.

Hi Guys!

If you consider advancing in the helicopter industri you should consider part 141 schools only, they will give you a little more than the stuff you need to know to pass the exams.

I did my basic training with HAI in the early nineties part 61, looking back I am basically pleased that I picked up the skills to survive. To be honest the basic training I recieved back than was very basic. Most of my required skills which I need every day flying the S-92 in the north sea I have aquired later and elsewhere.

Train with the ones that requires the most from you, the ones that put you through painful hours of groundschool, stay away from the ones that does minimal groundschool due to the fact that most of the revenue is earned when you are airborne.

Just a few thoughts......good luck with your training

I did all of my flight training at HAI Florida and have been instructing for them for the past year and a half. HAI is a part 141 flight school and depending on what rating you are working on will depend on whether or not you are flying and attending ground school at the same time. Even during those ground schools, there are still opportunities to keep flying and work on other requirements. Cost of living in Florida is relatively inexpensive compared to California and scheduling aircraft is not a problem...I think we currently have somewhere in the neighborhood of 45 aircraft (Schweizer 300CBi's, Robinson R22 Beta II's, and Bell 206's). Most of our Schweizer's are brand new and the latest rumour is that there are more coming. As far as maintenance on such a large fleet...Our head of maintenance, Todd Smith, expects the best out of our mechanics and a helicopter doesn't leave the hanger unless it's done right. He has set high standards and this has reduced any worries on my part as a CFI. We have a great staff and I am happy to have done my training with HAI. We don't cut corners here. If you are looking for an easy ticket...HAI is not for you. We expect our students to work hard...with lot's of fun and great people along the way...and those that meet our standards have a pretty good chance of getting a job with HAI or someplace else. The helicopter industry is amazing right now. Companies are begging for qualified pilots and this would be a great time to start your new career. You can email me personally at dispatcher23@yahoo.com if you have any additional questions. Good luck to all of you!!