Too old for new career?

wannabeone

Boy did I find the right post area to try and answer some of my questions!

Live in North Dakota, good salary in my current career w/job security and good benefits, but its not what I want to do the rest of my life. 32 years old, wife, 7 year old boy with another on the way. 110 hours fixed wing that I decided to do on a whim is all I have for flying time.

Trying to decide if I want to give up my career to move my family to Phoenix and train there (is it very realistic to think I can get all my ratings in five months if I go hardcore?) and then pray for a CFI job to support my family. I've looked at a couple schools in the Phoenix area but can't quite decide on who to train with. Any suggestions?

And I have a fabulous retirement system where I work and seniority. Am I crazy?

DBK, you have to ask your family what they think of this. you don't need to move to get your training as there are several places in the area that can give you the training you want. UND has a very good program.

and there are several companies in MN that can provide your training.

PM me if you have ?'s

debergk

You can keep the day job, support the family, and still manage to meet your goal of being a pilot. I was (am) in a similar situation, just kept working on it and made it thru the ratings. My personal opinion, this isn't a career that you go and train for 5-6 months and go to work, just doesn't work that way. Everyone is probably tired of seeing it, so drop me a PM if you have more questions.

although, I can't blame you for wanting to get out of North Dakota :)

Clark B)

• 3 weeks later...

Hello. I'm new to this post and I have been trying to make the career choice myself. My situation is a little bit different. I flew helicopters in the Army and have my comm/instr. rating with over 3000 hours. I have not flown a helicopter in over 12 years now. I had a medical condition that gave me a desk job, but now I can pass the medical again. I am vested in my retirement and have started a family late in life. I want to fly again! I need some advise on getting current again.

• 4 months later...

and I thought I was the only one contemplating this situation. Any idea where I can get a list of heli schools in colorado, denver, area to complete heli cpl, cfi etc. Have 3000+ FW time, might be moving there and want to change career path to helicopters....after 10 years I see the light...

• 5 weeks later...

HI everyone, also a newbie here, hope I do this correctly.

I am in similiar position as some of the others here. A little older (44), but looking o get out of the office setting. I appreciate everyones frank comments about the job market and opportunities or lack thereof.

I am concerned about the issue of relocating. I am in the Raleigh, NC area and have no plans on moving. Are all the jobs on the gulf coast? Seems that way. I've seen these two weeks on and off thing, what is that like?

Also, I recently attended a seminar given by Silver State Helicopters. Seemed a little pushy to me, but I did like the idea of getting the hours as an instructor as soon as you get out of the program. I own my own business currently and am very flexible so I can throw a ton of time at it

Thought / comments / suggestions please!

• 1 month later...
HI everyone, also a newbie here, hope I do this correctly.

I am in similiar position as some of the others here. A little older (44), but looking o get out of the office setting. I appreciate everyones frank comments about the job market and opportunities or lack thereof.

I am concerned about the issue of relocating. I am in the Raleigh, NC area and have no plans on moving. Are all the jobs on the gulf coast? Seems that way. I've seen these two weeks on and off thing, what is that like?

Also, I recently attended a seminar given by Silver State Helicopters. Seemed a little pushy to me, but I did like the idea of getting the hours as an instructor as soon as you get out of the program. I own my own business currently and am very flexible so I can throw a ton of time at it

Thought / comments / suggestions please!

Malty-I am in a similar situation. I am 41, just sold my business two months ago, happily married with a new six month old daughter and started training on Monday. I had many reservations, but decided to give it a go anyway. I am fortunate enough to live in the Phoenix area, so several schools to chose from right here. I am not looking forward to possibly moving, but will cross that bridge when I get to it. If anyone else has their $.02 to throw in, fire away. I could use all of the input [good or bad]

• 2 weeks later...
Malty-I am in a similar situation. I am 41, just sold my business two months ago, happily married with a new six month old daughter and started training on Monday. I had many reservations, but decided to give it a go anyway. I am fortunate enough to live in the Phoenix area, so several schools to chose from right here. I am not looking forward to possibly moving, but will cross that bridge when I get to it. If anyone else has their $.02 to throw in, fire away. I could use all of the input [good or bad]

Hey Fellas, it looks like a bunch of us who have seen some life are getting in the game. Good for us! I am 38, just sold my business and getting back to doing something I love... Flying! I am a former Army Aviator, but I have not flown since 17 March 2000. I plan to pass the rest of my days turning Jet Fuel into noise.

I gotta believe any prospective employer (having been one in the business world) would pick a mature RW aviator over a young kid with the same kind of ratings, time and experience.

Best of luck to all who have posted here. Fly Safe, Fly Army!

Hey Fellas, it looks like a bunch of us who have seen some life are getting in the game. Good for us! I am 38, just sold my business and getting back to doing something I love... Flying! I am a former Army Aviator, but I have not flown since 17 March 2000. I plan to pass the rest of my days turning Jet Fuel into noise.

I gotta believe any prospective employer (having been one in the business world) would pick a mature RW aviator over a young kid with the same kind of ratings, time and experience.

Best of luck to all who have posted here. Fly Safe, Fly Army!

Thanks-I am hoping that some 'real life' plus excellent training will equal quality job.

Three weeks in and loving it more by the day.

• 2 weeks later...

If it is any encouragement, I flew in Viet Nam '68-69. Taught tactics at Ft Stewart and got out of the Army. No jobs so I went to college, raised three kids, started my own business, worked 14 hrs per day for years. Became a millionaire and lost it all. I'm 60 now and after going to the Quad A in Atlanta this year and flying the Blackhawk simulator I decided to go back and start a career in flying. Because I hadn't transfered my hours when I got out I didn't have a commercial or ATP. July I went to Bristow Academy, flew 24hrs in a 300 CBI and passed my commercial. Flew another 25 hrs and passed my ATP. In two weeks I interview with Air Log. If they hire me I will work half as much as I used to. I won't get phone calls from unhappy clients. When I'm off, I'm off! My new office will be overlooking the gulf. If I decide to quit flying by the time I'm 80 I might go back to school and get my Masters. It ain't over til it's over. Follow your dreams!

• 2 weeks later...

aquaman 2000

Where Are All the low hour jobs? most are for CFI, how many on turbines? + insurance loadings for low hour pilot.

But hour requirements seem to be getting lower with a few companies

First thing first, you are not to old, second, you can fly commercially well past 60 as long as you can keep a medical. The age 60 rule applies to Part 121 carriers. No helicopter companies I know of operate under those rules. Third your A+P will be a huge plus for you. The company I work for just hired a pilot in his 40's and with less than 1000 hours TT. You should be in good shape in 2 to 3 years, for a job in the Gulf if not sooner than that. Its becomes a question do you really want to do it.

Hey All,

New guy here. This has been an informative string. I was under the understanding that somwehere around 60 or 65 a helicopter pilot had to retire fom flying. Are you saying a guy could still be flying, health permitting, at 70?

Thanks.

Arrowsmith

• 3 weeks later...