Where Did You Train?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ft. Rucker Alabama (Gomer, you're dating yourself with the Ft. Wolters training. My uncle also trained there approx 1963). Currently training in the 205++ for fire season (the 150' longline is quite a challenge)

Started at Cine-Exec at BUR for my PPL, they sold the 22, but didn't tell me! Finished my PPL at Watson Helicotpers, then went to Helinet for my CPL, then they sold the 22, didn't tell me!! Then flew with Watson again, got booted from there(I was doing auto's with an instructor friend of mine, but he didn't work for Watson), then went to Group 3(flew just to stay current), moved, and currently working on my CFI...well sort of...at Pacific Coast Helicopters at Torrance airport.....WEW....think I covered everything! :lol: I work in film restoration as my real job!

Yeah, I know, Fred. I said it was long ago. Ft Wolters closed sometime in the early 70s, IIRC. I've been flying longer than most of the people here have been alive, but I still feel young. :)

I was 3 months old when StarWars came out. Not to thread hijack or anything. ;)

Hello everyone,

Thanks for all the awesome information that has been provided in this forum.

Your advice and opinions are of immeasurable value for those of us new to helicopters.

I've only got 17 hours in helicpters from Quantum in Arizona, but I'm getting ready to take the plunge full time this summer.

I've been mentally noting which members have trained at which schools whenever such information pops up in the posts, but I'd like to make it a little more formal and hopefully get a better idea of how many of you trained at the different flight schools. I'd also be curious as to whether you are still a student or an instructor at that school.

This could be fun and interesting. Let's hear it for your school! :D

Tomlinson Aviation in Ormond Beach Fl. Private thru CFII and then instructed there for almost 2 years.

Tracy

Started at Cine-Exec at BUR for my PPL, they sold the 22, but didn't tell me! Finished my PPL at Watson Helicotpers, then went to Helinet for my CPL, then they sold the 22, didn't tell me!! Then flew with Watson again, got booted from there(I was doing auto's with an instructor friend of mine, but he didn't work for Watson), then went to Group 3(flew just to stay current), moved, and currently working on my CFI...well sort of...at Pacific Coast Helicopters at Torrance airport.....WEW....think I covered everything! :lol: I work in film restoration as my real job!

Damn Rob- Did we talk about this before? I dont remember that you trained at Watson. I started there in 1986, with about 2 flights a year, finally solo'd in 1989 if I recall correctly. Charlie W. was my first CFI, recently moved over to Twin Air about 2 years ago.

I'll bet if we compare logbooks, we have some of the same aircraft!!

Damn Rob- Did we talk about this before? I dont remember that you trained at Watson. I started there in 1986, with about 2 flights a year, finally solo'd in 1989 if I recall correctly. Charlie W. was my first CFI, recently moved over to Twin Air about 2 years ago.

I'll bet if we compare logbooks, we have some of the same aircraft!!

Goldy,

I switched to Watson in 90 sometime, Brad J. was my instructor. I knew Charlie, boy was he a great pilot, so was Brad! Back then....what the hell is a governor!! :) Brad flys with Helinet, flying the

S-76 for Children's Hospital, not sure what Charlie's doing. I know he went to work in vitamin business, then came back to flying, not sure now though. When we meet again for chow, we'll have to bring our logbooks! Nothing like those confined ops getting in and out of the pads at Watson, eh!! Even though I was with an approved CFI(not by Watson), Jack kept my insurance deposit....over the auto's! Small world, eh Goldy!

R91

Rob

Tomlinson Aviation, Ormond Beach, FL - Private and CFI add-ons (300) W/ Tracy and Cindy

Classic Aviation, Napoleon, OH - Commercial add-on (R22) W/ Bill

Fly Safe

Clark B)

Helicopter Services Inc, Houston, TX. Part Time- PPL, taking for ever with the job sched I have. Where is the fast forward button??? Like in the movie Click. At this rate I will be retired before I get my CFI!!!

Sorry- quick hijack..

Goldy,

Back then....what the hell is a governor!! :)

No governor, never used carb heat, I would fly for hours and never talk to a single tower, and we used to PRACTICE low G push overs !!! Oh Yeah..and the R22 HP...WOW..that was IT ..sooo much more power than the A model !! LOL..How the heck am I still alive ????

Lets have breakfast !

Goldy

Edited by Goldy

Currently training at Pelican Flight Training in Hollywood, FL...Schweizer 300C's

I'm upto about 7.5 hours in the real bird (as of this morning) with another 7 hours simulator time.

Sorry- quick hijack..

No governor, never used carb heat, I would fly for hours and never talk to a single tower, and we used to PRACTICE low G push overs !!! Oh Yeah..and the R22 HP...WOW..that was IT ..sooo much more power than the A model !! LOL..How the heck am I still alive ????

Goldy

On that note of safe practices... :unsure:

I remember the whole familiy driving to Disney World Orlando in Dad's 1977 Caprice "Station Wagon"...we'd throw a "full" size matress in the back and my sister and I (7yrs. old and 5yrs. old respectively) would go sprawled out in the back of this vehicle...going 65 mph on the highway...secured in place only by a blanket and some pillows (I guess those were the air-bags).

Car-seats are over-rated --- huh Goldy!!! :lol:

***Please forgive me for the non-helicopter story***

school i went to isnt listed

Clay & Roger--- I make be smoking something but I think you just go into that part of the site and upload a listing for your school, and then you can post a review on it..

Maybe one of the administrator guys could chip in about now ??