a few simple questions

I'm going to start lessons pretty soon, but I wanted some questions answered from some people with experience.

-At what age did you start flying?

-Do you have a private or commercial license?

-What is the best way for a new pilot to get a job and log some hours? CFI?

-Are jobs difficult to find?

-Do you have a degree? If so, has it done anything for you as a commercial pilot?

-What kind of hours, instruction, and testing are needed for a CFI?

I definitely want this to be my career. I've been lucky enough to fly in an R44 and a Chinook in addition to logging some hours in a fixed-wing, but after those two rides I realized I wanted to fly helicopters. Any tips for an aspiring pilot are appreciated.

Edited by scb17

-At what age did you start flying? 23

-Do you have a private or commercial license? Commercial, can't work with a private

-What is the best way for a new pilot to get a job and log some hours? CFI? CFI

-Are jobs difficult to find? No, don't believe the hype.

-Do you have a degree? If so, has it done anything for you as a commercial pilot? No, No

-What kind of hours, instruction, and testing are needed for a CFI? Commercial license, 2 written tests, and a checkride. There is no "hour" requirment for CFI. You need to learn to teach and fly at the same time.

Tips? Study, study, study some more, party to relax, study, fly, fly, fly, party, study, pass the checkrides :D

Edited by PhotoFlyer

-At what age did you start flying? -- airplanes @ 11, helicopters @ 13

-Do you have a private or commercial license? -- commercial/instrument/CFI/CFII heli, private airplane, A&P/IA

-What is the best way for a new pilot to get a job and log some hours? CFI? -- Do the CFI thing or get on with one of those x-country photo contracts over the summer (AirPhoto, BoatPix, etc.)

-Are jobs difficult to find? -- With less than 200 hrs, YES, very. With less than 300 hrs, somewhat, be ready to move. Anything over 300 hrs with R22, R44, and S300 time it shouldn't be that hard if you're willing to move. After you hit 1000 hrs PIC, you can get away from CFI'ing and fly tours, offshore, traffic, etc.

-Do you have a degree? If so, has it done anything for you as a commercial pilot? -- B.S. in Aviation Management, Masters in Business Admin.......and, no, neither helped getting me a pilot job.

-What kind of hours, instruction, and testing are needed for a CFI? -- For the CFI you'll need a commercial certificate, pass the two written tests, and the practical (oral & flight). No hour requirement. But, for the commercial you'll need 150 hrs total time, 100 hrs of PIC, with various x/c day and night required flights.