Flight School Reviews

Please feel free to share your Flight Training experience with other aspiring pilots who are researching the helicopter industry. You may post your reviews/experiences in this thread or start a new thread of your own.

As this particular forum grows it will become a very valuable knowledge base which will be searchable by visitors in need of real information.

- Lyn

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Seems like few are willing to review a flight school now that they have their username attached to it but please give a review of the helicopter flight school you attended. This will help out new students and give good schools the chance to teach more good pilots.

Thanks!

-Rey

I find it verrrry interesting that there are few reviews now that they are no longer anonymous. <_>

This information would be very useful to us aspiring helo pilots. Please add your flight school comments.

-Dale

Rey - I think you'll get them in time. As I recall, it took a while to accumulate a good number of reviews in the previous space. I for one feel very strongly about the school where I trained and therefore want to give the review the appropriate attention. The previous area was more a "comment" area whereas the new area has a more formal appeal. It's easier to barf out a "comment" but a "review" implies more precision. Being a bit of a procrastinator, I just haven't taken the time - yet - but fully intend to do so in the near future (that means "sometime this year" in procrastinator speak). [EDITED for grammar]

Edited by cross-eyed

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Sorry about the delay.

It is great. A very flexible training enviornment, they will meet with you at just about any time, even nights and weekends.

I got to go about a week and a half ago and actually got to fly for a bit :D undoubtedly one of the highlights of my life :D TJ was my pilot, really cool guy and seems like he would be a good instructor so now it is a matter of getting finances in order <_<

• 3 months later...

Hello All,

I have a question. Are the schools which are listed in this forum somehow paid sponsors of VR? I ask because the school review options are very limited. I would like to however add my current flight school in Alaska. There are maybe two places in the entire state which offer helicopter training. If possible, I would like to share my experience and provide anyone interested in getting quite possibly the most diverse mountain terrain training available in the U.S. the info they may need.

I am very pleased with the school, the instructors and the equipment.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I am currently attending HAI in titusville florida. All in all this is a great school, at first i wasnt very happy about how buisness oriented the school is. But then again this is a buisness and your carreer, if you are willing to play the game it seems this is the place to get a pretty good foot in the door. You can get what you want here but be prepared to play the politic game. If you know how to network this is the place to be.

Ps. add another 25% on the cost of school and thats a more reasonable guesstimate.

Its not the biggest school for no reason.

• 1 month later...

Hi

I am recently retired and moved to TN about 70 east of Nashville. I was going to get current again( haven't flown in a few years). But I cant seem to find a helicopter school within in reasonable driving distance..does anyone know of a good flight school in TN ( between nashville and knoxville) ?

thanks

Joe

I'm now considering Pelican Flight Training Academy in Pembroke Pines, Florida. Unfortunately, the instructor I had in line with Action Helicopters is having medical issues and will not be able to train me. When I complete my training with Pelican (or any other) I will definitely post my review.

If anyone has any experience with Pelican Flight Academy...please let me know what you think. They are heavy on fixed wing training and have been training rotary for about 2 years (Shw.300's).

Z

Zemogman,

I have been looking at Pelican and Helicopter Academy, also in Pembroke Pines. Let me know what you think of Pelican and anything else you feel I should know. I currently live in TX and hope to move there so I can live with my sister while in training; I would hate to move there and regret it due to school choices.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Dave...

I don't remember if I replied to you via PM or not...

Either way...Pelican is just fine for me...I've only been attending for about 3 weeks now. They have a great safety record and 3 Schz.300 and 1 R-44...along with 7 CFI's. The only thing I don't prefer is their online ground school...it is for fixed wing...however it's interesting to learn and I might just take my F/W test at the same time as my Rotary. Don't have all the details for that yet, but I'm sure it can't hurt to have both. The way it works is once you complete their online school you do another 10 hours of ground school for rotary with the instructor.

They start you you out in the "FlyIt" simulator for about 14hours...7 of which are loggable. Their facilities are a bit run down...(they've been around for like 30 years) but they are very nice people...safety conscious and their aircraft are in good condition from what I can tell. They have their own onsite maintenance and you can pay for school as you go.

Either way Florida is great...(born and raised in Miami)...and I'm enjoying my time at Pelican thus far.

I have to add another FL school in here. I am going to Tropical Helicopter in Leesburg Fl and it has been a very enjoyable 10 hours so far. They have a FlyIt sim also which will definately help out for IR. They have 2 cfis right now which actually works out well. They have 3 S300C's. I never have a problem with scheduleing. Family atomsphere. Very nice cfis and easy to talk to. Highly recommended.

• 4 weeks later...

I can comment on my experiences thus far with High Desert Helicopters in Ogden, UT. This might be a continuing "blog" if you will as I start training and will possibly chronicle flight training from a "newbie with a day job" perspective.

I did the discovery flight, and was quite impressed with my particular instructor and the machine that we went in. This school uses the Schweizer, which was good for me, since right now I'm at 240lbs. My personal goal as a result of looking at this change in my life is to shed 40 lbs, and I view this as a positive towards this career field. However, the fact that they use this type to train in makes it a possibility for me to do this, where the R22 might not work.

So that, and a very relaxed and easygoing instructor made my first helicopter ride (EVER!) a great experience! I felt very at ease, and had a lot of fun. I did pretty well in the hover and taking the controls one at a time...lots of compliments plus a good teaching style which takes the human factor down a notch. I felt very comfortable and safe in the aircraft, even when flying doors off.

Remember, this was my first ride in a helo of any type, doors off, and me at the controls for >80% of the ride. A very POSITIVE experience that reflects well on High Desert Helicopters.

Edited by Crusty Old Dude

• 4 weeks later...
Hi

I am recently retired and moved to TN about 70 east of Nashville. I was going to get current again( haven't flown in a few years). But I cant seem to find a helicopter school within in reasonable driving distance..does anyone know of a good flight school in TN ( between nashville and knoxville) ?

thanks

Joe

Hi Joe

Here is a school in Nashville. Dont know if its close enough for you, but hope it helps.

WWW.FLY-N-DOLLAR.COM

• 2 weeks later...
DOES ANYONE OUT THERE KNOW OF A FLIGHT SCHOOL CALLED USA ACADEMY IN MURRIETA, CA. THEY SEEM TO BE A VERY GOOD SCHOOL BUT WOULD LIKE OTHER OPINIONS.

Hey...I am at USA Academy of Aviation right now. They are amazing people. I was a bit nervous at first because their world records are intimidating....but they are a solid group and are EXTREMELY passionate about what they are doing. Im more than happy to be here at the moment and plan on going private to cfi all the way with usa academy of aviation. I suggest you go and check it out.

Josh Royse

youtube.com/royse

Would like to review my school but it is not listed, I attend Silver State Helos in Pueblo Co.

Hi all!

I'm looking at the Silverstate School in Chino. How are you liking SSH's program so far?

Have to wait for them to get 141 status (so I can use my GI bill) but can't find anyone who's gone through them before.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone,

I am new to this piloting world. ;) I have always wanted to get into piloting, specifically with Helicopters. I have no experience at all with piloting. I was talking with someone today and they recommending this site for information. I have found that there is a lot of information here just like I was told. I see that people are giving their evalations's of the different flight schools.

I was told by this person that there was a good flight school here in Boise Idaho called ASU Inc. I was wondering if anyone had heard of them and if so, what were your impressions?

I have been in the computer field since 1993 and I am ready for a career change and this is the one thing that I have always wanted to do. I am eager to get into commercial piloting and know that it is a long road to achieve, therefore I am trying to make sure that I do find the best schools in my area.

Please let me know if you have heard anything about this school..

Thank you.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I am a student at Silver State Helicopters. Despite the anti-big business nonsense you find on this forum (which is mainly related to financing), SSH is a great school. My instructors are knowledgeable and helpful, the staff is friendly, and I fly plenty. I can't think of anyone I know at the school who thinks otherwise. The distance learning program is incredibly helpful since I work a full time job. And if I transfer to some other city for my job (which is very likely soon), there's probably another SSH school nearby (especially in California, where I might go, maybe, we'll see).

• 3 weeks later...