Flight School Reviews

I keep hearing that after flight school I will have to move to a high tourist area in order to find a job. Are there no other options for someone right out of school?

The ONLY realistic entry level helicopter pilot job right out of flight school is that of a CFI (teaching). Learn it, love it, live it………

The standard route is:

Go to flight school

Get hired at that flight school

Teach and build time

Learn to fly turbines as a tour pilot

Get a "real job"

This isn't the only way but most people do it this way

Do some legwork with the search function and you will find the answer to every question you have

sorry I think your joke is lost on me. I'm new here. So I'm guessing the answer to my question is no?

It was in reference to a video they made fairly recently that someone posted on another thread.

if you don't want to fly tours the GOM might work out? Although the last CFII I knew who went there after teaching had almost 2000 hours, whereas all the guys I know who have gone to tours were closer to 1000.

On a side note, I can't help but notice this thread is pretty old. I didn't recognize any of the names on the first page! Can't help but wonder how things worked out for them? :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'll just toss it out there for anyone curious about whats to happen with the Salt Lake City program and SLCC after Upper Limit Aviation lost the contract for the college.

For those interested in pursuing flight training around the Salt Lake City area this coming summer/fall, or perhaps those that are already there and are unhappy with the past flight provider, Leading Edge Aviation based out of Bend, Oregon will be ramping up a satellite base out of Salt Lake City in connection with Salt Lake Community College. We have been awarded the contract to provide sole flight provider services for the college program. Chapter 33 benefits will be fully accepted through the VA program. We are a part 61/141 flight school with an impecable safety record, active Safety Management System (SMS) and as of last year, LEA offers modern FITS (FAA Industry Training Standards) SBT Curriculums.

Leading Edge Aviation is planning on planting a satellite facility in Salt Lake City, Utah. Our current school in Bend offers 6 R22 Beta II's, 3 R44 Raven II's (one equipped with a Garmin 500), and a Bell 206. Eventually the program in Salt Lake will maintain the same number of aircraft, if not more. We expect the student base to build extremely quick, with a majority of those transferring from the Upper Limit location as well as new students coming into the program. We have a small fixed wing operation at our Bend, Oregon location featuring two Cessna 172s (one featuring dual Garmin 1000s) and a Beechcraft Baron twin (equipped with a Garmin 500). At this point in time, there are ideas about starting up a fixed wing program in the Salt Lake City area, but no solid plans just yet. The priority will be on starting up the helicopter program and getting that up and running.

For any further inquiries into the SLCC program featuring Leading Edge Aviation as the flight provider, please visit our website for more information. http://www.flybend.com Navigate to the Flight Training tab at the bottom, and then to the SLCC tab on the left side of the page. PM me for assistance or details. Thanks.

Edited by RagMan
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi everyone. Im Jairo and im new to the forum. Im looking into some schools near my area of OC california and im lucky enough to have some schools near by. Ive visited three so far and got three different experiences from each, Good, decent, and horrible. The one school that actually took their time to show me around and sit with me to answer pretty much any question I had was Revolution Aviation based out of John Wayne Airport. Does anyone have any experience with these guys? i know the owner came from Helistream and started his own flight school. Any information on this place would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance!

• 2 weeks later...

post-41477-0-89651100-1440270590_thumb.jpgSeacoast Helicopters in Portsmouth, NH is the newest fully VA Approved, Part 141 Flight School in the country. If you want to train on brand new Robinson R22, R44 and R66 helicopters with the best Flight Instructors in the USA, this is the place to be. We are partnered with Great Bay Community College and offer an Associate Degree in Aviation Technology which gets you not only the degree, but your CFII/Helicopter in 2 years. The scenery is magnificent, the off-time lifestyle is amazing, awesome food and nightlife and an 11,321 foot runway on a towered airport that is manned 24/7. We are now accepting students at all levels, accept Post 9/11 and Montgomery GI Bill veterans as well as private pay students. Call us for more information at 603.373.8743, email at info@seacoasthelos.com or Google Us.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello all!!!

Ive been reading a lot on this forum and have learned ALOT. Im just curious if anyone has or know any "real" incite to Guidance Aviation in Baton Rouge? Im set to start class in Jan 16 just waiting for my BP to lower a little in order to pass my Physical. Any information would be great as Im moving me and my new bride down there or if any has another recommendations. Also, Yes I will be using my Post 9/11 GI Bill to go to college and flight school. Thanks in advance!

Hello all!!!

Ive been reading a lot on this forum and have learned ALOT. Im just curious if anyone has or know any "real" incite to Guidance Aviation in Baton Rouge? Im set to start class in Jan 16 just waiting for my BP to lower a little in order to pass my Physical. Any information would be great as Im moving me and my new bride down there or if any has another recommendations. Also, Yes I will be using my Post 9/11 GI Bill to go to college and flight school. Thanks in advance!

Before you move, I'd make sure that you will 110% be able to start school. When I spoke to student services at Guidance in Prescott last month about any word on their Yavapai College program resuming, they said they are still waiting on enough non-VA funded applicants. I asked if the Baton Rouge program was also at a stand still and he said at this time, yes. It would absolutely suck to move there with the hope of starting school, only to be told there are not enough non VA applicants and you cannot start school, and therefore, cannot collect your Post 9/11 GI Bill housing stipend.

• 2 months later...

At the moment I'm also looking at some alternative schools in case guidance aviation in baton rouge doesn't work out.Does anyone have any experience with silverhawk academy in Idaho?

I trained there, and instructed there. I would highly recommend the school. Silverhawk has not ever done anything shady as the other post suggests schools should do.

They passd the VA audit with flying colors and is often used as an example to other schools as a model to follow. The school program has been a great success, however each student needs to keep in mind while attending, that their own success lays within their own efforts to follow the proven formula and program.

Call , go visit, and see what a difference and feel it has.

• Like 1

I have a friend who went to Silverhawk and he turned out alright. He was not a veteran though. I instructed at Leading Edge Aviation and they have a great VA program that didn't ever take advantage of the system (at least not in the bad way).

Check out this new helicopter flight school directory. It has a tab for schools that train veterans and it has reviews and some great blog content as well.

http://www.besthelicopterflightschool.com/

Good luck in your search!