A day in the life...

vertrefadmin

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Rey,

:P Not jealous at all :P . Actually we have equal amount of snow but not that kind of sunshine, not at least this time of year. Do you have lots of icing conditions there? How do you deal with it, do you fly in icing conditions at all? I was just wondering because there's sea nearby (moisture) and cold air....

Finnrotor B)

Yes we have icing conditions here. How do I deal? I don't. I stay on the ground. Once it is cold enough icing is not as much a problem but it can still cause problems. That sunshine is also rare here.

NICE RARE DAY:

Jan06_1.jpg

NORMAL JUNEAU DAY:

Jan06_2.jpg

Moving a drill in gusty winds, snow, and over white, no-reference ground. Are you still jealous? (That's a longline under the snow.)

SToL,

Hey you're right. The mirrors are on the wrong side! No wonder I can't sling!

In defense of you yellow guys, the right side is less pain in my back. I can see the load better from the left but the vertigo window has some benefits. Regardless of which seat I sling out of, though, I still don't want to move that drill.

We've been having some great flying weather in Berners eh? You guys have an ILS into Jualin?

We've been having some great flying weather in Berners eh? You guys have an ILS into Jualin?

The Jualin ILS is scheduled to be operational approximately 2 years after the bridge is.

However, lately it's still IFR (I Follow Rivers) via Echo Cove, Sawmill creek, Lace and then the Johnson Creek / Tree top approach in to Jualin.

Today was absolutely beautiful though eh?

You're all more than welcome to the @#$%&%**$# snow. The last 2 days I've sat on the back porch in short sleeves, watching the sun. This afternoon it went south, though, with thunderstorms arriving. It will soon be back to 70, though. Global warming is a fact, but the earliest stages can be nice. In a decade or so, this place will likely be under water, though.

• 2 weeks later...
You're all more than welcome to the @#$%&%**$# snow. The last 2 days I've sat on the back porch in short sleeves, watching the sun. This afternoon it went south, though, with thunderstorms arriving. It will soon be back to 70, though. Global warming is a fact, but the earliest stages can be nice. In a decade or so, this place will likely be under water, though.

Agreed on snow - I had enough of it growing up in Ohio/W.Va./Washington and later, an ill-advised move to Colorado in 1990. Give me a sunny, warm California day any day.

Dave Blevins

Yes it is. I remember when it went from -44 F to -10 F in Fairbanks and it felt like a heat wave. It's all relative. In Juneau we think above zero teens are cold so it's much better here for my kids.

67november: you guys shutdown outside when it gets 30 below? If so, what do you use for portable heaters?

vref it's currently -22C/-8F going down to -28C/-20F tonight, as the saying goes here it's not cold until it's -20below :o most ops are basicly shut down at that temp, only the emergency sites are kept running as needed.

northern MN is looking to be going to -34C/-30F the Arctic blast will be here for a little while.

Edited by 67november

Ill take that over +52 C and you need a AWR to just to start the engines and run the systems.

The hottest I've flown in was +54 C in Needles, CA. I think the black ramp may have had something to do with that. I flew into Phoenix a lot too when it was 115F to 122F. I don't ever want to be that hot again. I don't enjoy the extreme cold either though. I think we are just right here in Southeast Alaska. The goldilocks of the temperature world for me.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...