Another training video

Made another video from various clips shot during my training on BC's west coast. Shows the joys and perils of flight training quite well. Caught in one clip is me catching a skid after a 180 auto-rotation. Damn near rolled it but the instructor saved the day.

Video

(Notice: This video has since been re-cut. Scroll down to find the new link for the new video. Thanks)

• 2 months later...

Yeah I yanked it off. Was never really that happy with how it turned out. It's just been re-cut with a new soundtrack... just waiting for the folks at google to clear it for viewing. Will post the new one asap! ;)

In the mean time my other video is still online, just gotta dig thru some older posts here for it.

Pearl Jam!! EWwwwwww

Like the vids, but is it possible to get a copy in an mpeg or wmv format? Flash really sucks for dial-up.

Thanx, and

Later

Flash bites.

AMEN!

Curoius about the bucket dump. It looks as if the bird went into a climb as it dumped the water, and then started to do-for lack of a better description-a tail snap. Is this a manuver to stay away from the flames?

Also, when you caught the skid, it seemed to go into a hover. Was this with or without power, and can you elaborate on why the skid might have caught?

One last thing; is there a name for the manuver for flying sideways?

Later

P.S. I'll look into a line of credit too. I would never have thought of that kind of an option. Thanx.

Yeah in the video you'll see me trying both kinds of water drops, the straight and level drop and the concentrated drop. Straight and level I am told works best for more spread out fires, while the concentrated dump works well anywhere you might want all your water all at once. It can however be more dangerous as it can put you right over the flames with next to no airspeed.

Though it does look like the machine starts to climb, it's an illusion. Just me pulling back a tad while holding altitude and letting the weight of the water swing the bucket forward. Then just before it starts swinging back you hit the release and the water drops from the bucket the instant it's hanging motionless in the air. Far easier said than done with any precision... but a blast none the less! Spent an hour that day trying to knock that damn white cloth out of that tree. No dice haha.

And the skid snag.... only time I ever had the instructor make a panic grab of the controls on me. It was my final day in that R-22 before doing the 206 endorsement. The instructor and I were doing autos all day, the majority right to the ground as usual. This time he said we'd to a power recovery after a 180 auto. So down we came and all was normal untill we brought the power back in. The machine just kept sinking. A bit too much collective was used trying to stop the sink, resulting in a slight over torque which pulled the nose to the right just as the machine touched down. No clue how the instructor was able to keep it upright, but I'm guessing his 18,000+ hours helps. The hover was just the instructor getting it back under control while we both searched for fresh underwear.

Why did the machine not stop sinking despite full power (and then some)? We figured it was either mild subsiding air pushing us down, or a 1-2 knot tail wind that ambushed us. Was about 5 gallons of fuel onboard so weight wasn't the issue. Either way it was a great lesson.

Flying sideways is crabbing.

And the skid snag.... only time I ever had the instructor make a panic grab of the controls on me.... The machine just kept sinking. A bit too much collective was used trying to stop the sink, resulting in a slight over torque which pulled the nose to the right just as the machine touched down. The hover was just the instructor getting it back under control while we both searched for fresh underwear.

I came across a "helicopter Haiku" that fits here:

A stuck skid dashes

hopes for uneventful flight

Dynamic rollover

Well, except for the rollover.

Later