Any info about Quantum Helicopters?

Hello, I am attending my intro flight this tuesday at Quantum Helicopters. I plan to start my CFL training soon and I have been looking for a good school. Does anyone have any experience with QH? If so, what are your impressions of them? I know that they are an accredited school which adds to their value as a flight school. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Aron.

I haven't trained there, but know some that have, and considered going to the school once. Are you doing an add-on to a fixed-wing commercial? You may want to search past threads here. A lot of members have spoke about them in the forums here in the past.

Edited by nbit

I am planning on taking their Pro Pilot program which includes, PPL, CFL, IR, CFI and CFII. So no, I am not doing a fixed wing add on. I have no previous flight experience. I have searched this forum for info regarding Quantum, and there have been several posts mentioning Quantum. But none have gone in specifics about whether or not it is a good school to attend. I would like to know from people that have had some training or any experience with them, if they would recommend this school. But thanks for your reply Nbit. You said that you knew some people who went there? Do you know what their opinion of Quantum was?

Thanks Aron.

My only first-hand experience with Quantum was a visit on Sep 13, 2001 - not the best time for anything aviation-related (and not such a great time for anyone). I found the facility and the aircraft to be top-notch, and the staff professional and courteous, although not altogether friendly. I put the cool tone down to the atmosphere surrounding the whole community at the time. Quantum was actually one of my top choices for training, although I ultimately decided that the R22 was not the training aircraft of choice, therefore knocking Quantum, Guidance, PBH, Vortex et al out of the running.

Since then, everything I have heard (first, second or third-hand) about Quantum tends to say that you will receive very high-quality training in well-maintained aircraft, and come out a thoroughly-schoooled CFI. There are occasional grumblings about the high standards required before a student gets signed off for a checkride - I put the grumbles down to a lack of effective communication of standards between the check pilots, CFIs and students, not due to excessively high standards. I also hear of grumblings from the CFI staff that it isn't the most supportive work environment, but Quantum CFIs rack up some impressive hours, and precious few of those CFIs have a basis for comparison - to be honest, the world of a helicopter CFI is usually a bit challenging. So I take all of it with a grain of salt.

I would highly recommend Quantum as long as:

- you want to fly the R22

- you are proactive about your training goals and measuring progress (including documentation)

- you understand that it isn't personal...

By way of comparison, I would go a little further north and look at Guidance, in Prescott. You might also consider (considering the $50K investment you will be making) looking at other schools around the USA, not because they are better or worse then Quantum, but because they might fit you better. I ultimately found my training venue because I liked the 'vibe'.

Hope this helps!

Aron,

I trained at Quantum for a few months last year to get my helicopter add-on rating.

I can confirm everything that flingwing206 says. I was going to write my own comments, but he has summed it up very accurately (baseed upon my experience) and succinctly. If you have specific questions about the school, feel free to send me a personal message.

Thank you for your replies. I had my intro flight at Quantum yesterday. And I can confirm most of what you said flingwing206. However, I found everyone to be very friendly and supportive. I flew with Rob Rink who was great. He answered all of my questions and introduced me to some staff as well as the owner Neil. I came away with a very good feeling about Quantum. Rob was telling me that Missy, who does the checkrides can be very tough. But that when you do pass, you know that you really acheived something to be proud of. As for the R22, it seems to be a very tricky helicopter to learn. Especially during a hover. I also found the T-Bar cyclic to be a bit awkward. But if you can fly the R22, everything else should be easier. Also I think that since about 80% of flight schools use the R22, it is to your advantage to learn on that machine. I have yet to make my final decision about which school to attend. I plan to visit a few other schools shortly. Thanks again, Aron.

As for the R22, it seems to be a very tricky helicopter to learn. Especially during a hover. I also found the T-Bar cyclic to be a bit awkward. But if you can fly the R22, everything else should be easier.

That is something that R22 schools like to tell students, including our own...

It just isn't true... If you can fly a helicopter, then you can fly one, period. They all fly pretty much the same... (and yes, I've flown other helicopters besides a R22)

• 2 weeks later...
Hello, I am attending my intro flight this tuesday at Quantum Helicopters. I plan to start my CFL training soon and I have been looking for a good school. Does anyone have any experience with QH? If so, what are your impressions of them? I know that they are an accredited school which adds to their value as a flight school. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Aron.

Aron,

I went to Quantum Helicopters from about April of '00 to maybe November of '02. It's a great place to fly. They are very flexible with sudents schedules. Even when things change at the last minute. I'm not sure about the price. I'm sure things have changed since I have been gone. I am currently stationed in Korea flying UH-60 Blackhawks. Everything that Quantum taught me was a valuable tool that I used during military flight school. I hope this information is useful if you haven't already signed on with them.

Mike

Edited by MikeWalker

Thanks Mike for the reply. I feel that Quantum is a good place to get my training, so I am planning to start there in March. I am very excited to start flying soon. Thanks again. Aron.

• 11 months later...

Here I am, late to the party.

Flyingwing couldn't have said it better about Quantum really. I just took my Commercial check ride Saturday (passed, woo!!) and have been with Quantum from the start. I'll agree that the training is great, and the instructors are top notch. The place does start out a little impersonal, but after a few months everyone knows who you are and really warms up. I've had two check rides with Missy and both have gone well. She is a very by the book kind of person and that will grind on some people. Paul, the head mechanic, knows as much about the R22 and R44 as Robinson does, maybe more.. ;)

As for scheduling, there has never been an issue for me, and I can only fly 6-9am or 5-7pm and saturdays (Quantum is closed sundays).. There are 3 IFR trainers, an R44, and 10ish R22's, all in a brand new hanger. There are two ILS's within 15minutes, one controlled, one not, and plenty of great Pins and Cons in the area, as well as the Phoenix class bravo 5 minutes away. Don't expect too much deviation from the standard training regiment though, once again, Missy is very by the book. We don't "goof around" too much.. ;) You can rent the R22's after you have your Private, even if you're not allowed to do too much, but at least the option is there.

Looking back, I don't regret my choice at all. It's a great school with great training and loads of flight time for CFI's. Had I been able to relocate, I may have gone with Guidance just to get the high altitude training, especially since I've heard nothing but good things about them, both on here and from the other examiners that come into Quantum.

Feel free to PM me, or post here, if you have any specific questions you'd like answered. Glad to help.

FauxZ is 100% right on. I've been at Quantum for a a few months, working on my instrument rating now. It's a great school. Top notch maintenance, beautiful big new building, plenty of helicopters, flexible schedule, and all the instructors are friendly and know their stuff.

Thanks Aron.

I don't know much about Quantum, but I do know of two schools at the Scottsdale airport. I would stay away from the one that promises you everything. All they want is your money.

• 3 months later...
That is something that R22 schools like to tell students, including our own...

It just isn't true... If you can fly a helicopter, then you can fly one, period. They all fly pretty much the same... (and yes, I've flown other helicopters besides a R22)

Yes all helicopters fly the same but they all handle differently. When I was instructing, I had some guys fly in to the airport in a blackhawk. My boss called be and told me that both the pilots wanted to try to fly the Robinson. I headed down to the airport, did the preflight, and grabbed the first pilot that had been flying in the military for 22 years, and started it up. He got it up off of the ground after sliding all around and then was all over the place trying to hover it. The next guy who had less years in the military than the first guy did a little better but was still all over the place. That's all I have.

I almost forgot. I attended Quantum Helicopters in Chandler and had a great experience. Top notch instructors. I also did two checkrides with Missy and yes she is tough, yes she is very "by the book", but she was very helpfull and nice. After each of my checkrides she congratulated me and shook my hand and told me how well I was doing. Neil Jones, the owner, very nice guy and really goes out of his way to know your name and talk to you if he happens to see you. Overall, great school, great instructors, great maintanance, and great equipment. I never, ever, had an instructor cancell a flight on me. Plus you are in AZ, 362 flight days a year! Quantum is the right choice. Good luck!

• 1 year later...
Plan to spend around +/- $70,000. Later

Is this still an accurate estimate? The Quantum website is advertising a Prof. Pilot Instrument Program (9-12mo.) for substantially less (~$46k). Is that "too good to be true?" If not, I'm contacting them tomorrow about starting!

Is this still an accurate estimate? The Quantum website is advertising a Prof. Pilot Instrument Program (9-12mo.) for substantially less (~$46k). Is that "too good to be true?" If not, I'm contacting them tomorrow about starting!

Without going to the website, I'm guessing that is with the bare minimums that the FAA requires. I would really expect to pay +/-$70,000.

Thanks Aron.

I finished my private and am now working on commercial. Quantum is a great school. The only down side is that they require more than most schools do.