Question for the Robinson/SFAR 73 experts.

I'm trying to figure out the requirements for instructing in an R22 - I've read the text of the SFAR, my confusion/question is - if you have 80+ hours in an R44 what will it take to instruct in an R22? The standard 5 hours make and model? It states that you can credit 25 hours of your R22 time towards the required 50 hours for instructing in an R44 but it has no explanation for people with R44 time that want to instruct in an R22. I could be reading it wrong - looking for input.

Thanks!!

birddog

You are reading it right - you need 50 hours in an R22 to teach in an R22. For the R44, you need 50 hours in Robinson helicopters, of which 25 hours can be in the R22 (the rest, by default, have to be in the R44). Remember, the SFAR is all about energy management, low RPM, Low "G", and mast bumping. The R22 is by far the more dangerous and less forgiving of the two, hence the more restrictive limitations of the SFAR.

So to recap, to instruct in any Robinson, you need 200 hours helicopter, of which 50 hours has to be in Robinson. To instruct in the R22, you need 50 R22 hours. To instruct in the R44, you need 25 or more R44 hours, and the balance of the 50 can be in the R22. Then you need the SFAR endorsement from a DPE or other FAA-designated person (like an RHC safety course instructor) for the model (R22 or R44). Even if you have 4,000 hours in an R44, you still need 50 in the R22 to instruct in the R22 (plus the R22 signoff).

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the info!!

I had RHC school last may and now have my time in the R44, I need to find someone to do the sign-off.

Thanks!!!

birddog

You are reading it right - you need 50 hours in an R22 to teach in an R22. For the R44, you need 50 hours in Robinson helicopters, of which 25 hours can be in the R22 (the rest, by default, have to be in the R44). Remember, the SFAR is all about energy management, low RPM, Low "G", and mast bumping. The R22 is by far the more dangerous and less forgiving of the two, hence the more restrictive limitations of the SFAR.

So to recap, to instruct in any Robinson, you need 200 hours helicopter, of which 50 hours has to be in Robinson. To instruct in the R22, you need 50 R22 hours. To instruct in the R44, you need 25 or more R44 hours, and the balance of the 50 can be in the R22. Then you need the SFAR endorsement from a DPE or other FAA-designated person (like an RHC safety course instructor) for the model (R22 or R44). Even if you have 4,000 hours in an R44, you still need 50 in the R22 to instruct in the R22 (plus the R22 signoff).

Hope this helps!