Going for a checkride

Okay, so I'm up for my PPL-H checkride very soon. I've read everything I can get my hands on and I feel pretty well prepared. I would really like to find a list of common oral exam questions just to make sure. Does anyone know where I might find such a thing? Thanks, John

John - You should take a look at:

http://www.dauntless-soft.com/PRODUCTS/Rid.../helicopter.asp

Download the RideReady demo and give it a try. If you like it, you pay and they give you an unlock code for the full database. I've used their GroundSchool software for the CPL-H and am a big fan. I didn't use the checkride prep software so I can't comment on it. If you decide to try it, let us know how you liked it.

Also, I happened across a DPE's website that has some useful information, even if it is fixed-wing oriented. Take a look at his entire page, but specifically the "Common Problems on the Private Pilot Checkride" page:

http://www.geocities.com/mike_shiflett/checkride_notes.htm

He gives you tips on the most common problems he sees as an examiner.

Good luck! Let us know how it went.

Okay, so I'm up for my PPL-H checkride very soon. I've read everything I can get my hands on and I feel pretty well prepared. I would really like to find a list of common oral exam questions just to make sure. Does anyone know where I might find such a thing? Thanks, John

Grab a copy of the practical test standards and read it cover to cover a few times. My PPL-H checkride was a year ago and I've since told a lot of other students who are staring their 1st checkride in the face, "If your instructor didn't think you were ready, he wouldn't have given you the endorsement."

I studied my ass off for mine and STILL felt I was unprepared. My instructor sent me home after our last dual lesson 2 days before my checkride and told me "I want you to go home and relax. Don't study, don't even THINK about helicopters this weekend." Even though it was difficult, I stayed away from the books.

Flight test went well with the DPE's only "complaint" being my run-on landing. I slid too far in his opinion.

My oral was almost 3 hours and wasn't too bad. There were a couple questions asked that I needed to refer to the FARs to answer, but I knew right where to look for the info he was requesting.

My CFI also told me not to offer up too much info when answering a question, to be precise and concise. Any long-winded response might have an error in it and the DPE could jump all over it. I had one situation like that in regards to some chart work. Thankfully I didn't get flustered and my solution, while workable and legal, wasn't what the DPE was looking for.

I really thought I'd just busted becasue he sat back in his chair with a wierd look on his face then suddenly leaned forward, stuck out his hand and said "congratulations."

Like I tell others.. If your instructor didn't think you were ready, you wouldn't have the endorsement.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

I also felt unprepared but breezed thru the oral. Know your FARs and be able to make decisions and give answers as to why. My oral had a few number questions but most questions were along the lines of "What if"

Like: If you were getting ready for a solo flight after you are a PP and the local MD500 owner asked if you wanted to take his heli for a quick flight, Can ya?

Good luck.

I am now an officially liscensed helicopter pilot!

Thanks for the encouragement and the tips. I probably over-prepared for the oral but I still needed to look at the books for some stuff. Overall, it was much smoother than I ever expected. Thanks again, John

I am now an officially liscensed helicopter pilot!

Thanks for the encouragement and the tips. I probably over-prepared for the oral but I still needed to look at the books for some stuff. Overall, it was much smoother than I ever expected. Thanks again, John

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I remember driving home from my checkride and just staring at my temporary certificate each time I hit a red light.. My wife and kids met me at my favorite restaurant and they all wanted to hold it and my wife annouced to the entire restaurant I'd just got my helicopter pilot's license. Embarassing but cool. :)

Like my 1st CFI (Well, actually my 4th 'cuz I did fixed wing in the 90's) told me when I saw him the next morning. "Now you have a license to do some real learning."

Again, Congrats!!

CONGRATULATIONS!!! What's your next step? Commercial?, or just flying for fun for a while?

I'm probably going to work on my fixed-wing private then come back and work on my commercial and CFI. Thanks, John