Which helmet?

Roondog

Got it from Flightsuits.com. For what it's worth though folks should avoid them like the plague.

I was sold a brand new HGU-56 with their ANR installed. All seemed fine untill I started having problems with the ANR a month later. It would crackle and pop and then stopped working all together.

Very mad, I phoned Flightsuits to tell them what happened and that I was taking it to a authorized Gentex repair center, and Flightsuits would get the bill in the mail. They said that's not how it works with them as only they can repair items they sell, no matter who made the thing. I'd have to pay for it to be shipped there, and they'd pay for repairs and shipping back to me.... oh and I'd have to wait at least 2 months before I'd get the damn thing back! Do I get a "loaner" while they fix mine? Nope. <_>

With blood boiling I gave up and told them to just send me what I needed to fix it and I'd pay to have the work done in town here. Two weeks later the part comes and I take it and the helmet to the repair place. He says they've sent the wrong piece... it's for an ANR unit but not this model in my helmet!

I go home and phone the Flightsuits service department. I describe the part they sent vs the one it was supposed to be. The gal on the phone (only honest person I ever talked to there) says that the part I'm describing, the part that failed, isn't being put in their helmets anymore. Furthermore, they've not been putting that part in their helmets for 6 months at least and recalling every helmet that has it installed. Funny thing is, I ordered my helmet new from them 4 months prior yet it still had the part, known to be faulty, installed anyways! She put out a shipping order for me to recieve the proper gear this time and I'd get it installed at home.

For whatever reason they decided to sell me a piece of faulty safety equipment, and then had the nerve to tell me to pay to send it to them and wait months on end while they fix it! For the amount of money a new helmet costs a good company would have replaced the whole thing free of charge considering the circumstances.

I never even got an appology. <_>

Ordered mine from MERIT APPAREL. Called them up and they had me measure my noggin while we were on the phone. Helmet came within a week. It has a TON of pads, spaces, etc...to ensure that you get the right fit. I then ran over to JOYCE TELETRONICS in Clearwater Florida. Spoke with CHRIS and had him make me up a set of speaker ear plugs. They plug into a small female style plug that is velcroed on the back of your helmet. What's nice about this setup is that if for some reason a plug falls out of your ear, you still have the helmet speakers working. The Gallet is not the cheapest , but after having had a SPH 4 and SPH 5, I really like the Gallet and think it's worth the bucks. Just my opinion, but pay the few extra dimes and spring for the dual visor version ( LH250 ). I fly primarly at nights and always use the clear shield, but for those rare day flights, it sure is nice to have the sun sheild. B)

• 1 year later...
Ordered mine from MERIT APPAREL. Called them up and they had me measure my noggin while we were on the phone. Helmet came within a week. It has a TON of pads, spaces, etc...to ensure that you get the right fit. I then ran over to JOYCE TELETRONICS in Clearwater Florida. Spoke with CHRIS and had him make me up a set of speaker ear plugs. They plug into a small female style plug that is velcroed on the back of your helmet. What's nice about this setup is that if for some reason a plug falls out of your ear, you still have the helmet speakers working. The Gallet is not the cheapest , but after having had a SPH 4 and SPH 5, I really like the Gallet and think it's worth the bucks. Just my opinion, but pay the few extra dimes and spring for the dual visor version ( LH250 ). I fly primarly at nights and always use the clear shield, but for those rare day flights, it sure is nice to have the sun sheild. B)

hello,

I've a Gallet LH250 since 6months and I'm student at Hillsboro Aviation.

I really like my helmet, and I agree concerning the good noise reduction.

But I'm looking to install the Cep's.

Do you know if I can do it alone ? We have an Avionics Center at school, maybe they can do it ??

When do you put the plugs in your ears, where can you let your helmet ? On your knees ?

Is the cable enough long ?

Thanks

Pierre

Does anyone know what kind of brain bucket the US Coast Guard uses? Any opinions on it? Thanks. Jeff

Here is a great (and long) article on motorcycle helmets. It helps put the specifications listed on helicopter helmets (g's vs joules, etc.) into perspective.

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/gearbox/..._helmet_review/

Thanks for the Link.

I just bought a practically new HGU-56 from avalair77 (Greg Mann for those that know him) and I could not be happier, flying the R22 doors off is whole new experience with the helmet vs. the DC headset.

Can you explain the difference?? Thanx

I bought an SPH-4, and the two times I've worn it, I think it was louder than the DC's. I'm thinking that it's something with the resonance from the engine that makes it seem louder. I put in a hush kit and it seemed to quiet it a little, but I said screw it and ordered a CEP kit. I'll let ya'll know how that turns out.

Later

I finally got tired of kissing the other pilots every time I put on the company-supplied helmet, and bought one from ebay. I got an SPH4B (pretty much the same thing as an SPH5) with CEP installed for $240 shipped. It was a military model, green, with military comms, but some white paint and a mike from an old headset, and I'm in business. Works fine, and with the CEPs I don't need to crank down the earseals. I leave them completely loose, so I can wear sunglasses. You have to really get the earseals tight on a helmet to get the same noise suppression you get from a headset, but the CEPs are pretty much the same thing I've been using on my lightweight headsets, just with a lot of weight on my head. It took a lot of bids to get a helmet at a price I was willing to pay, but it eventually paid off, I think.

The CEP website says it's not to bad. I've looked at the way they are installed in my Gallet, and it does'nt look like rocket science. Looks like some small soldering, and drill the hole forthe plug. The CEP kit should have a templete (sp?) with it to locate the position of th ehole to be drilled.

The CEP website says it's not to bad. I've looked at the way they are installed in my Gallet, and it does'nt look like rocket science. Looks like some small soldering, and drill the hole forthe plug. The CEP kit should have a templete (sp?) with it to locate the position of th ehole to be drilled.

I just finished installing the CEP kit in a Dave Clark headset. Straight forward - Drill a hole and solder a couple connections. Doesn't look like the helmet install would be much more difficult - drill two holes and solder a couple of connections. :) http://www.cep-usa.com/ has the instructions online.