Gen. Knowledge - FAR out man

CofG,

I have read AC91-67 thoroughly and have found an a couple of interesting things.

First, regarding the time when inop. equipment must be addressed:

91.405(c ) - the next scheduled inspection is supported in the AC. Ch.8(a)

Secondly, regarding whether a collar must be used on CBs or whether a switch must be taped (this is the really interesting thing...)

In the ACs examples, when applying an MEL, it mentions a mechanic using a collar to secure a CB. But when no MEL exists, it definitely says the pilot can simply switch off the equipment to deactivate it.

So I wonder if this is deliberate. I am begining to believe that either:

1) a pilot is not required to use a wire tie on a circuit breaker or tape a switch AC91-67 ch.7(B)(1), but that a mechanic has guidelines somewhere (67november said he's seen them) that do require him to use one /tape. AC91-67 ch.23(B)(a)(2).

or

2) Some MELs, ADs, regulations from other countries, or specific aircraft 'Handbooks of Maintenance Instructions (HMI) require(d) the use of wire ties, and mechanics have carried this over (incorrectly) to the non-mechanic, non-MEL world which has become as you say 'Tribal Voice', an urban myth handed down across the years as being the legally required method of securing a CB.

Either way, I cannot dispute this paragraph of the AC.

"(1) A certificated pilot can accomplish

deactivation involving routine pilot tasks, such as

turning off a system. However, for a pilot to

deactivate an item or system, that task must

come under the definition of preventive

maintenance FAR Part 43, Subpart A ."

This is 'very, very much speculation on my part...so I welcome any further references (particularly 67november's reference) and I will continue to look into this.

Added:

Well, I'm stumped! The only references (with any legal weight) that I can find requiring the tie-strapping of circuit breakers, is in a 2004 Cessna AD (AD 2004-14-20). This leads me to believe that my second theory above is more likely to be true. I am sure that if it was a legal requirement there would be far more documentation online about it. Furthermore, the FAR doesn't seem to prescribe actually 'how' to do any maintenance on an aircraft. It doesn't say how to tighten the jesus nut, or how to track and balance blades.

'How' to do maintenance (including how to deactivate a component) is something that the FAR doesn't want to touch. It leaves that to the manufacturers.

Again, is this another example of when the law does not always mirror what would be prudent to do? Of course, it would be prudent to use a wire tie to prevent inadvertant re-activation.

Joker

"that task must come under the definition of preventive maintenance FAR Part 43, Subpart A ."

the term "preventive maintenance" is outlined in the manufacturer maintenance manuals.

as a pilot be sure to obtain the manufactures description of said preventive maintenance from the mechanics for each type of a/c your flying, as there are some procedures that are concidered preventive on one craft and some concidered mechanic required on others.

and yes joker some the tie wrap issues are the carry over of procedures that help to ensure safe flight as you noted in your post. in many cases it has become an unwritten rule of thumb, this has come about after years of experience in what keeps a safe a/c.

as I posted earlier, most pilot beleive we are the mysterious wizards that let you fly their a/c. As deloren knows the maintenance manuals are very in depth and specific in the repair and care of the a/c.

most pilots have never seen these manuals and would be shocked as to how big these can be.

most manuals come in several volumes to cover the a/c, I don't recall seeing a manual smaller than 500 pages.

fly safe

as I posted earlier, most pilot believe we are the mysterious wizards that let you fly their a/c. As deloren knows the maintenance manuals are very in depth and specific in the repair and care of the a/c.

most pilots have never seen these manuals and would be shocked as to how big these can be.

most manuals come in several volumes to cover the a/c, I don't recall seeing a manual smaller than 500 pages.

It's funny how maintenance manuals have gotten smaller and smaller over the years too. You would think with all the advanced technology and liability warnings they would get bigger (look at the book that comes with a blender or something simple.)

But, compare a Robinson maintenance manual to an old H269 manual(s). The older aircraft had all kinds of structural repair instructions and more REPAIR info overall. Newer manuals seem to give you a go/no-go on REPLACEMENT. Just an observation..........

All,

What a great thread...thanks to all that contributed. I hope everyone (even those that did not contribute) got something out of it.

While the thread didn't follow the course I'd expected, I still enjoyed the research!

Would the following be a fair conclusion of what has been discussed so far? If not, PM me and I'll edit.

Conclusions.

1. The anti-collision light is required for Day VFR flights if fitted, but may be turned off at the discretion of the pilot.

2. The FAR does allow flight with inoperative equipment, provided certain procedures are met. Knowingly taking off an aircraft with inoperative equipment therefore, does not necessarily constitute a neglect of your duties as PIC. HOWEVER, knowingly taking off with doubt about that inoperative equipment is a neglect of your duties (see 5 &6).

3. Often following the law to the letter is not necessarily wise. You should protect yourself by implementing saftey beyond what is the minimum required.

4. ELTs are not required for helicopters by 91.207. (Note: They may be required by other rules for helicopters.)

5. A mechanic is not necessarily required to defer maintenance. A pilot is authorised to defer some maintenance so long as certain conditions are met, but...

6. ...if you have even the slightest doubt about the part, whether it's a hazard, the regulations concerned or the method of deactivation, then you should get a mechanic to make the decision for you...that's what they do! (See 3)

7. Except for (8), cable strapping a CB is not legally required. However, it is wise to do so! (See 3)

8. A MEL, AD, Maintenance Manual, or other such document, constitutes a legal document. Where such a document requires you to cable strap a CB, it becomes a legal requirement to do so.

9. Be nice to your mechanics. They could in fact be wizards, pretending not to be (like H. Potter). They might turn you into a newt.

10. Maintenance Manuals have got smaller, but are still huge! This is funny! :lol:

Disclaimer: These are all layman's views. The content of these posts may be wrong. We (all who posted) take no responsibility for you going and getting yourself busted (physically or legally)!

Going on holiday tomorrow, so maybe someone else can chuck a new 'general knowledge' discussion topic on the board. (Flingwing / Delorean / anyone!?)

Cheers,

Joker

Yes Joker, that about sums it up allrite ! I myself have learned that there is still alot to learn, AND? the reg's are STILL as confusing as they were 20 years ago :blink: ,,,as for the next general question? no more FAR's for a while please?!

8. A MEL, AD, Maintenance Manual, or other such document, constitutes a legal document. Where such a document requires you to cable strap a CB, it becomes a legal requirement to do so.

As far as I know, there is only one maintenance manual that is FAA-APPROVED (and that's the C-152). They're all a source of ACCEPTABLE data, but they're not a source of APPROVED data. Yeah, I know, syntax, but this is a very big issue when doing major repairs, STCs, ADs, and anything that requires APPROVED data.

FAA-Approved data is: ADs, type certificates, MELs, field approvals, etc.

FAA-Accepted data is: ACs, maintenance manuals, service letter/bulls, 43.13 1B, etc.

Gotta flight......fill in the rest later.........

Yes Joker ya hit the nail on the head. :D

there are many things to be learned by many people (including myself) as you noted in 5&6 things aren't alway as they may seem.

As I will be working on my pilots training in the future there is always more to learn from everyone here.

this has been a very good learning experience, even for us old codgers :D

if there are no further questions/comments to the current issue let's try another :blink:

Edited by 67november

As far as I know, there is only one maintenance manual that is FAA-APPROVED (and that's the C-152). They're all a source of ACCEPTABLE data, but they're not a source of APPROVED data.

Delorean, Look at your engine overhaul manuals, i have Continental 0-200 & 0-470, Lycoming direct drive overhaul manual----ALL are FAA approved ( says so right on the cover) ! Not sure if ALL of the engine manuals are FAA approved, but the ones i spoke of are.