Book opinion

Guest rookie101

Guest rookie101

Hello everyone,

I'm getting some books before I start my training. I haven't ordered them yet because I wanted to see what you guys thought about it, what I should add-on or hold off on. Here is the list:

The Helicopter Pilot's Handbook

Cyclic and Collective

Principles of Helicopter Flight

Private Pilot Test Prep 2006

I won't get the commercial, CFI or the CFII test prep books until 2007, unless it dosen't matter what year, because I'll probably start my training for those three licenses in 07. So, just wondering what you guys think. Thanks to all who post

rookie101

Hello everyone,

I'm getting some books before I start my training. I haven't ordered them yet because I wanted to see what you guys thought about it, what I should add-on or hold off on. Here is the list:

Cyclic and Collective

I won't get the commercial, CFI or the CFII test prep books until 2007, unless it dosen't matter what year, because I'll probably start my training for those three licenses in 07. So, just wondering what you guys think. Thanks to all who post

rookie101

All good. Also check out Fatal Traps for Helicopter Pilots and of course the FAR/AIM. Good luck.

Hello everyone,

Cyclic and Collective

rookie101

I've bought all the above and read all but not yet completed C & C 2nd Edition. I can't comment from an experienced pilot point of view (I begin training in May/June) but from a readers perspective and as trainee to be, I found them all informative and easy to understand. However, I think time on MS Flight Sim 2004 has helped me to more easily comprehend some of the subject matter - I can try out techniques described, practice instrument scans and watch responses to input etc.

I've also just received Sporty's Instrument Course which I'm also enjoying and would recommend too. It's aimed at fixed wingers but has lots of generic stuff for any pilot.

The test prep is great. I'm aiming to go through it several times prior to training but still on my first run through.

If you still have a year or so before you start, Id get with an instructor and get the initial books for the course first that you will be using. If you are not flying at the same time you are reading, a lot of what you read may not make much sense, but at least when you start, things will sound familiar. I have all the books you listed. The Private Pilot test prep is updated every year, so wait to get the most current one. Besides, it wont make any sense without taking the course with it. In my opinion, Cyclic and Collective is an excellent book, but it is VERY detailed. But the author uses a little related humor to spice it up as much as he can given the topic. Ive read it about three times....then Ill go back and read specific chapters as I need information. That poor book of mine looks like grandmas hundred-year-old bible!

As roondog stated, the FAR/AIM.....primarily the AIM part, I think is oe of the most valuable books, and probably the least read aviation book their is. The AIM....Airmans Information Manual.....is packed with detailed information. The FAR portion, you have to pick and choose through it as you read it. If you can get all the books you listed, get them. You will find that if you read them before your course, you may get frusterated because you wont have a foundation for what they are talking about, expecially in Fatal Traps....but after youve flown, and done autos and experienced Vortex Ring State, LTE, etc. it will be clear. STudying before you go in is an instructors dream.....But dont bog yourself down. You cant cram aviation.

If you know what aircraft you're going to be training in I'd reccomend getting the Jeppessen kit for it, or just the Heli pilots manual and POH(pilots operating handbook). I got all the books and read 'em a few months before I started my training and it definitey helps in the ground school stuff (its nice being the smart kid in class) which will allow you to concentrate more on the flying. Jeppessons Aviation Weather is also a good one to have if you're into knowing the science not just the basics. Good luck and keep the dirty side down.

P.S.-try to get a FAR/AIM with a helicopter reccomended sections list in the front, its easy to miss important stuff just slogging through it.

Guest rookie101

Thanks everyone for the recommendations and approvals. I forget to add the Robinson R-22 Pilot's Operating Handbook, I've been told that it would be a good read even before training and the flight school I will be attending uses the R-22. I was also wondering about books dealing with weather conditions, should I get one now or wait on it. Again thanks much.

rookie101

Edited by rookie101

I was wondering about weather study materials too. In the test prep book it asks some questions that are not directly covered in the study section (!) and doesn't really go into much detail at all. I'd like to know a lot more than just knowing the answers to the questions.

Weather is VERY important...and you dont have to do anything flying related to get as far into it as you want. A rule of thumb.....If your a Private Pilot, you should have the weather understanding of an Instrument Pilot.....If an Instrument Pilot.....the understanding at the Commercial Pilot level and so on.....If you a Comm.....You should be on the 2 o'clock news giving weather reports :lol:

• 2 months later...
bumping this back up as it's a good thread.

i'll start buy more books in the fall, have printed many books from the FAA web site, have about 2 1/2 reams worth stacked on my desk at home.

I've heard of the books from the FAA, but can't seem to find them. I was told they were in PDF format, but all I see there is HTML. Show me the website!

Later

Guest rookie101
I've heard of the books from the FAA, but can't seem to find them. I was told they were in PDF format, but all I see there is HTML. Show me the website!

Later

Mechanic had to explain to me and svtcobra66 in the chat because the page would come up expired. Here is the link so I don't have to explain it or confuse you and anyone else who reads this: http://www.faa.gov/pilots/training/ This is just the training section, the Rotocraft Flying Handbook is listed under Handbooks if your looking for that. The rest of pilot section is through this link:

http://www.faa.gov/pilots/

Enjoy :D

Helicopters for Dummies ? :)

Later