Rotorway Exec 162F Good?

DEMO

If you want to learn all there is to know about the rotorway contact Homer Bell. Here is his website. He hosts a kit built helicopter fly in at his ranch in ohio as well, would be a great place to talk about all the different kits available. For information on a rotorway build, I highly recommend getting a copy of the Discovery Channel MiniSeries "A Chopper Is Born." It is quite interesting even if you're not even considering a homebuilt. The series takes you to the Rotorway plant and through the entire build and flight test process. Their build the most stikingly beautiful 162F I have even seen.

Flybull, it's not my ignorance in my comments check the NTSB reports, deaths resulting on component failure are higher in a home built. either due to lack of component time or bad assembly procedures by the owner. the records speak volumes.

Of course that is true, 67, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that unproven components in craft that are available to be built by any Gomer are gonna fail at a higher rate than certificated designs.

That does NOT mean, however, that there aren't thousands of incredibly well-built experimentals out there. You seem to harbor a disdain for anything that wasn't built by Bell or Sikorsky. As far as fixed wing is concerned, the Vans Aircraft line comes to mind. There are thousands of their models out there flying daily, many doing hard aerobatics, and they're doing it safely and not coming apart in air. This is also why I'm so enamoured with the Hummingbird helicopter. It's a proven design, with mil-spec and FAR compliant systems, including the use of a certificated power plant.

Conversely, there are a lot of crappy, POS certificated aircraft, including helicopters, out there that are flying coffins due to stresses/damage by stupid pilot tricks, and lack-luster (or just plain lacking) maintenance. To lump all experimentals into your "unsafe" category is absolutely ignorant, hence the comment.

A lot of the bad rap associated with kit aircraft, especially the helos, are not mechanical errors but pilot (and I use that term loosely) errors. Guys that have never taken a single rotor lesson build a helicopter in their garage and then think they can fly the damn thing! This astounds me! No matter what you're flyin' you better be damn-well trained in it before you attempt to fly it. But this is just common sense. You can't blame the experimental market for stupidity. It's like my favorite saying for idiots that try to take off with 3 pax and full fuel in a 172 at a 4,000 msl airport with OAT at 92 degrees and crash into the trees at the end of the runway...... it ain't the humidity, it's the stupidity!

Not everybody has been blessed like you to be able to fly well-maintained, big-time equipment. Doesn't mean the rest of us can't proceed into the world of experimental aircraft safely. And.... we needn't be put down for it as you've attempted.

I'm not out to get into a whizzing match with ya, you are correct on many points, the loose nut behind the stick can be blamed for a large number of mishaps/crashes, resulting in many injuries and deaths.

i flew in well maitained a/c cause I was maintaining them, RW and FW A&P in the 80's

the exp. a/c industry I'm sure has progressed by leaps and bounds since then. so don't get you undies in a bundle

and

fly safe B)

Unfortunately, whenever I think about homebuilt helicopters, I think about the Revolution mini-500. Specifically about when I read an account from an A&P mechanic who saw one flying around the airport, and later crashing in a near by field. Basically, he said that the engine sounded like it came off a weed whacker. But i suppose thats what you get for 15,000

Some are loosing the point I think.

If you read all the info the home builds do have a high rate of attrition + the problems appear to be repetative bearing temps, drive fail, etc. I hope the units I fly have had most if not all of these problems sorted before I pull colective. ( I dont think FW can be compared I have had 2 problems flaps stick, and engine fail, but I had 6000 foot to think about it and what appeard to be hours to sort out what to do, not at most 3 seconds )

Would I fly home builds? I dont even like flying The 22 ! even though there must be thousands that do.

My feeling if there is something safer that I could aford thats what I fly, if not I make an personal decision Job or not, as to the level of RISK I will take,

Best of the weather to all readers.

• 1 year later...

I've been in the helicopter business for over 40 years and remember the Rotorway company when it first started under the Scorpion name and sold single seat helicopter kits with Johnson outboard power plants. later, they sold the Scorpion Too, a two place version. They reorganized around the Rotorway company when they came out with their own power plant. My hat's off to a company that is willing to lay it on the line for helicopter general aviation. A lot of "boiler plate" aircraft manufacturers have buckled to the tort liability lawyers and written off general aviation. Experimental general aviation has pushed the envelope in many ways and added to the collective knowlege of the industry. Burt Rutan started in general aviation with the wooden Vari-vingen and later built the Voyager which was the first and only aircraft to fly around the world non-stop without refueling. Now he's exploring space. I believe that the best design for a helicopter is yet to be discovered, and probably along the thought processes of Burt Rutan, who through out convetional construction and designs in favor of composites and canards. It is very likely that a person with dedication and desire, working in his garage or hangar, is going to make the breakthroughs that are needed before someone does so working in a cubicle and surfing the net to see how his 401K is doing.

On a separate note, if someone wanted to fly cheaply, wouldn't it take less time and be more productive to go out and get an A and P certificate before building a helicoper or buying one. Then you would have a marketable skill after you decided that you really weren't cut out to be a pilot. Or, if you did go on to fly, you could either maintain your own aircraft or supplement your income with the skill. Employers like to get two people for the price of one, a pilot and a mechanic. I think an A and P would do a better job of building a kit helicopter.

One last thing, the most fun I've ever had in helicopter aviation was flying an OH 13 (Bell 47). You really feel a part of the machine, manually coordinating the throttle and nursing it into the air. This is unlike flying an overpowered turbine helicopter where climbing and decending in a hover is like operating an Otis Elevator.

I just joined and like the forums.

tom

remember the Rotorway company when it first started under the Scorpion name and sold single seat helicopter kits with Johnson outboard power plants.

One last thing, the most fun I've ever had in helicopter aviation was flying an OH 13 (Bell 47).

Tom- welcome, wow an old thread here !

Now that you mention it I remember the Johnson outboard engine helo, its was a small ad in the back of about 20 outdoor magazines back in the late 60's. In fact I spent New Years Eve of 1969/70 reading just such an ad at my Uncles house, and drawing an enlarged picture of the scorpion, cause I figured I could just build one myself later (I was 10..go figure).

Ditto the 47, I dont know why I enjoy flying a tank with no governor and a top speed of about 65..but I still think its pretty cool.

Goldy

Tom- welcome, wow an old thread here !

Now that you mention it I remember the Johnson outboard engine helo, its was a small ad in the back of about 20 outdoor magazines back in the late 60's. In fact I spent New Years Eve of 1969/70 reading just such an ad at my Uncles house, and drawing an enlarged picture of the scorpion, cause I figured I could just build one myself later (I was 10..go figure).

Ditto the 47, I dont know why I enjoy flying a tank with no governor and a top speed of about 65..but I still think its pretty cool.

Goldy

I remember the rotorway from the late 70's being at Rockford, IL then onto Oshkosh. We were always there with the Brantly.

When someone calls me about buying/building one there is a guy in my area (Tulsa) that knows a lot about them. Some people don't care for him (Rotorway) but he has made upgrades to the Rotorway. I think he is putting a turbine in one. Wouldn't be the first time someone has tried.

I always refer them to him. If he looks at it then amn says they are good then I would fly them. I have a few hours in one.

Yeah the B47 is a good machine. Friend of mine owns an H model, only like 33 of them made. It is old school. I'm glad I learned to fly before the govenor started coming out on helcopters. It does spoil you.

Keep flying and be safe

I have to chime in here. I built a Rotorway with a turbine conversion. I flew it for about 100 hrs and sold it recently. I now have a 22. I have friends that have the standard 162f. Two of them I see often. Both have close to 200 hrs on them.

http://members.aol.com/airkrft/justin_jetexec.htm

JT -

Very nice looking ship. What turbine did you use?

• 4 years later...

Hey you, I'm a Rotorway guy. Ive been in many, built many and they are a beautiful aircraft. Thing is, yes I believe you really need to be very defensive while flying these crafts HOWEVER, if it done correctly you are many many ways SAFER in a Rotorway than a-lot of the certified aircraft on the field .. The reason IS as followed_ I know every single nut bolt wire safteywire rivet and component on this helicopter like the back of my hand... The Rotorway helicopter flies very very nice (comparable to a 22) and also will always give me some kind of indication BEFORE something goes wrong.. It's these guys out in the field who do not have proper training and or methodical "systems" set up for the safety of their aircraft that get in trouble... My Rotorway essentially becomes an extension of my body and I ALWAYS know BEFORE something goes wrong.... ALSO contrary to popular belief, Rotorway helicopter pilots become some of the very very best heli pilots in the world!! This is because we are out in the experimental field , pusting every limit,, innovating day after day.... And if it wasn't for us type people like Igor Sikorsjy also was , NONE of you would be here today! I many way I, talking about ME - I am much safer than many of my certified friends...

Also, I have looked at the Hummingbird, the only problem why I shyed away is they are not proven yet... They have only been around for a few years...yikes.. Please check in to my forum at www.rotorwaytalk.com Brad Lenart here sighning out....... : }